• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

We should trade Yarncock just for the sake of getting rid of him.

For whatever value he might bring in the regular season, he’s now got a very lengthy track record of being completely fucking useless in the playoffs. 86 career playoff games, and in those games he’s scored 5 goals & 22 points.

Surely there are better ways to spend his $2.1M cap hit.
$2.1m for secondary scoring that can get you 20 goals is pretty good. Not everyone is going to be a star performer. Sometimes you have to just take the good with the bad. I don’t think there’s some magical awesome playoff stud out there just waiting to get a $2m offer from us.

$2.1m for secondary scoring that can get you 20 goals is pretty good. Not everyone is going to be a star performer. Sometimes you have to just take the good with the bad. I don’t think there’s some magical awesome playoff stud out there just waiting to get a $2m offer from us.
I think the argument is that he's not worth 2.1m in the playoffs and they can't really afford to waste real money on replacement level players in the postseason. You can find his level of historical playoff production for league min.

But yeah he's probably worth more than that in the regular season. For that reason I'm kinda mixed.. Although I shouldn't care so much about the season.

The regular season doesn't matter. He could score 40 this year in the regular season, but if he scores 1 in a few rounds of legit middle 6 ice time, he was a waste of time to have on the roster.

We're not worried about making the playoffs, and we shouldn't be worried about who we play in the 1st round.

He's a value trap for sure. I alreayd know I'm gonna fall into that trap and be thankful for what he brings throughout the 82 games this year.

But it's a trap. It's always a trap.

If this team was in a fight for a playoff spot I could see your point. But you could replace Jarnkrok with literally anyone on the Marlies roster for 82 games and this team’s still easily making the playoffs.

So there’s no point in keeping him around. You have to at least try and replace his $2.1M with someone that’ll give you something—anything—in the playoffs.

Heinen or Tatar would be pretty good Jarnkrok replacements that save you $1+ mill. Other than scoring goals, which has value, Krok doesn't have much impact. Even in the regular season.

Heinen or Tatar would be pretty good Jarnkrok replacements that save you $1+ mill. Other than scoring goals, which has value, Krok doesn't have much impact. Even in the regular season.

Krok is the poster boy for the kind of depth player Dubas had a serious fetish for. Milquetoast, smallish, soft-as-melted-butter low-event players that go out there and make nothing happen.

And who can rack up a token amount of points if they burrow like a tick into a line that has two of Matthews, Marner, Tavares & Nylander on it, but absolutely nothing if they’re on the third or fourth line without any of those guys.

Really would be happy to move on from all those guys.

Jarnkrok looks coiled for a breakout season

View attachment 17558

I have something else coiled for you

smiling-poop-emoji.jpg

If this team was in a fight for a playoff spot I could see your point. But you could replace Jarnkrok with literally anyone on the Marlies roster for 82 games and this team’s still easily making the playoffs.

So there’s no point in keeping him around. You have to at least try and replace his $2.1M with someone that’ll give you something—anything—in the playoffs.
I’m generally of the view when it comes to depth players that, as long as they have the ability, they can surprise you. In the playoffs, anyone can step up, and if you’re a guy who can score 20 goals in the regular season, I’ll pick you over a guy like ZAR or Laff who can’t do anything in the regular season even. Not sure how many guys are available who can score 20 for $2m.

Heinen or Tatar at minimum are interesting, but in place of bullshit like Laff, not Jarny.

Krok is the poster boy for the kind of depth player Dubas had a serious fetish for. Milquetoast, smallish, soft-as-melted-butter low-event players that go out there and make nothing happen.

And who can rack up a token amount of points if they burrow like a tick into a line that has two of Matthews, Marner, Tavares & Nylander on it, but absolutely nothing if they’re on the third or fourth line without any of those guys.

Really would be happy to move on from all those guys.

Of Jarnkrok's 20 goals, only 6 weren't assisted by one of our best 5 offensive players (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly).

That's not the offensive depth we're looking for.

For comparison, 11 of Engvall's 12 were without the assistance of the big 5. All 10 of ZAR's lacked any assists from the big guys. Even the king of the offensive leeches, Kerfoot had 7 goals that had no assists from the big guys.

Of Jarnkrok's 20 goals, only 6 weren't assisted by one of our best 5 offensive players (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly).

That's not the offensive depth we're looking for.

For comparison, 11 of Engvall's 12 were without the assistance of the big 5. All 10 of ZAR's lacked any assists from the big guys. Even the king of the offensive leeches, Kerfoot had 7 goals that had no assists from the big guys.
1693589516146.png

The other bit re: Jarnrkok is that he's never scored that much in his life, and he bested his career 12% shooting last season by a lot with 18.9%.

We're more likely to see him score his customary 12-15 goals next season, and not 20.

and then disappear entirely in the playoffs.

But worth the gamble over Laff.

Not sure. During the Habs Cup run he was so useless that he went from their #1 line to healthy scratch… and that team wasn’t exactly stacked with offense

He wet the playoff bed against last year with NJ

Back