• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

A little-known fact about NHL enforcers is that they emit a force-field that protects the bones, joints and ligaments of teammates who normally have the durability of a porcelain doll.
We all want Robertson to be a 30-50 goal scorer and to be healthy.

Sadly, he is injury prone. So this won't happen.

A little-known fact about NHL enforcers is that they emit a force-field that protects the bones, joints and ligaments of teammates who normally have the durability of a porcelain doll.

Reaves is going to get the "energy pumping" in the room to the point where players will play through anything because of the adrenaline.

At this point I want him to have a healthy season just so these horrible jokes stop. Team and player success is secondary.

And even though some of the jokes may make me laugh I hate myself for laughing at them

At this point I want him to have a healthy season just so these horrible jokes stop. Team and player success is secondary.

And even though some of the jokes may make me laugh I hate myself for laughing at them

I guess what irks me is that there's been a pile of research over the years on this and the major takeaway is that chronic injuries are a thing and can definitely be recurrent and make a player injury prone but that outside of this, luck is the biggest determinant of durability. I mean, Keith fucking Yandle and Phil motherfucking Kessel are not the standard ideal of "Iron Men" but here we are.

There are other factors, like genetics, which play a significant role but the other Robertson doesn't seem to be suffering from genetic injury proneness....so maybe, just maybe a little motherfucker got cheap shotted twice and has been unlucky so far rather than him being make of styrofoam or something?

I think it's fair to say he's been unlucky to an extent too. But my major criticism of the kid actually isn't his health, it's his inability to stay on his skates when physically contesting with other players. A good chunk of his shifts he ends up on his duff after board battles.

I guess what irks me is that there's been a pile of research over the years on this and the major takeaway is that chronic injuries are a thing and can definitely be recurrent and make a player injury prone but that outside of this, luck is the biggest determinant of durability. I mean, Keith fucking Yandle and Phil motherfucking Kessel are not the standard ideal of "Iron Men" but here we are.

There are other factors, like genetics, which play a significant role but the other Robertson doesn't seem to be suffering from genetic injury proneness....so maybe, just maybe a little motherfucker got cheap shotted twice and has been unlucky so far rather than him being make of styrofoam or something?
The only thing I can think of that would be a legit predisposition to being injury prone is that he was born extremely premature so that could possibly play into some brittleness. Though, yeah the injuries I've seen have been mostly poor luck up until this point. I mostly just want to see him use his teammates better. Keep your head up, slow the game down and avoid going into tunnel vision mode, which he has a habit of doing. If it turns out he keeps getting hurt, I'm not gonna blame him for that. I'll be way harder on him for how he plays.

he's little and plays a reckless physical style. it's fair to be concerned. but I agree the jury is still out. and I remain cautiously optimistic that, health permitting, your nephew puts it all together.

I think it's fair to say he's been unlucky to an extent too. But my major criticism of the kid actually isn't his health, it's his inability to stay on his skates when physically contesting with other players. A good chunk of his shifts he ends up on his duff after board battles.
yeah this is a legit criticism and something I've noticed too

The only thing I can think of that would be a legit predisposition to being injury prone is that he was born extremely premature so that could possibly play into some brittleness. Though, yeah the injuries I've seen have been mostly poor luck up until this point. I mostly just want to see him use his teammates better. Keep your head up, slow the game down and avoid going into tunnel vision mode, which he has a habit of doing. If it turns out he keeps getting hurt, I'm not gonna blame him for that. I'll be way harder on him for how he plays.

Both injuries are probably more accurately laid at the feet of style of play than "he has bad bones" or some such shit.

On the hit in the AHL that broke his leg, he came around the net to try to engage the play entering the corner, got hit by a defender trying to run passive interference and run into another player trying to hit him before he could get to the puck. Basically 2 hits that were obvious interference in a row, Robertson falls awkwardly with his leg underneath him and breaks his fibula. On the shoulder injury, he goes into the corner chasing a puck on a 50/50 and the defender hits him before they're anywhere near the puck, Robertson loses his balance and hits the ice hard.

Kid needs to learn that he's playing against men, and that he has to anticipate the play and be a half step early rather than, like you put it, have tunnel vision when he's on the puck or chasing it. He's too small to keep putting his nose into places where it can get broken.

Both injuries are probably more accurately laid at the feet of style of play than "he has bad bones" or some such shit.

On the hit in the AHL that broke his leg, he came around the net to try to engage the play entering the corner, got hit by a defender trying to run passive interference and run into another player trying to hit him before he could get to the puck. Basically 2 hits that were obvious interference in a row, Robertson falls awkwardly with his leg underneath him and breaks his fibula. On the shoulder injury, he goes into the corner chasing a puck on a 50/50 and the defender hits him before they're anywhere near the puck, Robertson loses his balance and hits the ice hard.

Kid needs to learn that he's playing against men, and that he has to anticipate the play and be a half step early rather than, like you put it, have tunnel vision when he's on the puck or chasing it. He's too small to keep putting his nose into places where it can get broken.
He plays like a prepubescent kid with a raging boner, yeah. Needs to reign it in a bit if he wants to both have some offensive success and protect himself. But that comes with reps, which he hasn't had enough of yet.

Back