• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

Liljegren looking a lot like a legit top pair d. But then, he did last year until around the time they acquired McCabe and his game completely fell apart.

One thing I don't get is how a 4th line forward that will likely play no more than 5 minutes per game (and not all 82 games) can drop the net rating by 12. How is it possible for a guy to have THAT much impact? I know he has Reaves at 9mpg, but even then that seems AGGRESSIVE. If he's replaced with a replacement player, how much higher are they ranked?

Last edited:
Overall can't really complain about those grades.

The one guy i think the model might be underrating compared to his actual potential impact is probably Bertuzzi, who i wouldn't be surprised to see swap ratings with bunting over the course of the season.

One thing I don't get is how a 4th line forward that will likely play no more than 5 minutes per game (and not all 82 games) can drop the net rating by 12. How is it possible for a guy to have THAT much impact? I know he has Reaves at 9mpg, but even then that seems AGGRESSIVE. If he's replaced with a replacement player, how much higher are they ranked?

unsurprisingly i've been loading these into a spreadsheet as they come out and at least it's not just the leafs that suffer from this. most teams have at least one guy like this and maybe two slotted in on their bottom line/pair. i.e. the Avs have Cogliano -10 and J.Johnson -9. Bruins have Lucic -13. Wild have Maroon -11.

on my nerdsheet i've been slotting them in order of net rating and not in order of dom's playing time guesses so these guys all get eliminated from the "best" starting teams and I'm not sure the leafs would move up much without reaves if the other teams removed their duds too. but we'll see if the top 4 have any of these types listed. decent chance some of those 4 teams are only ahead of the leafs because domi doesn't have them playing one of these types taht much.

Overall can't really complain about those grades.

The one guy i think the model might be underrating compared to his actual potential impact is probably Bertuzzi, who i wouldn't be surprised to see swap ratings with bunting over the course of the season.

I guess my only complaint is how he calculates the impact from players who he projects to suck dick.

If Reaves is that bad, he won't play and if Klingberg is last year's Klingberg, he'll likewise get passed by Lilly for top 4 duty and maybe by Timmins for being in the lineup at all. By design or not, one thing Toronto does not lack is guys who can play RHD naturally. Brodie, Lilly, Klingberg, McCabe, and Timmins are all either natural RHD or extremely comfortable on the right side. Klingberg only plays if he's good.

Back