• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

Btw, I don’t think Tre wants to trade Jarny. If he did, he’d be gone by now. I think they want to keep him, but it’s tough to see who they drop to get under. Jones is another $875k leaving but that still leaves almost $1m more to drop.

Here’s a fun look back at six days ago:

….and here comes Dubas’s #1 fan Jonas Siegel with the tears today:

When Toronto Maple Leafs training camp got underway last month, Sam Laffertylooked like he might be in line to play an important role for the team.

His initial linemates were John Tavaresand Matthew Knies. Head coach Sheldon Keefe said the initial assignment “shows what we think of him.”

Two and a half weeks later, Lafferty is gone. Rather than lose him for nothing on waivers, the Leafs dealt him to the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday for a fifth-round pick in next year’s draft.

What happened? How did Lafferty’s stock with the Leafs crash so quickly?

I’m higher on Lafferty than the Leafs evidently were.

It’s easy to forget now, but he was pretty effective for the Leafs in the second round of the playoffs. With the team down 2-0 in the series to Florida, Lafferty opened the scoring in Game 3 against the Panthers, and he set up Morgan Rielly for the Leafs’ first goal, down 2-0 on the scoreboard, in Game 5.
Three Leafs were on the ice for four five-on-five goals in the five-game series: Lafferty, Rielly and Lafferty’s linemate, David Kämpf.

Lafferty posted an expected goals share of 53 percent in four games against the Panthers (he was scratched in Game 1) despite an offensive zone start percentage of 19 percent.

All in all, Lafferty showed that he could be a helpful playoff contributor.

Lafferty was acquired by Kyle Dubas’ front office in February in a deal that also netted Jake McCabe. Part of the appeal in adding him came from the additional year left on his contract, which the Leafs have now punted for a fifth-round pick.

The Leafs were a better team when Lafferty got healthy scratched and they went with 11 forwards in the playoffs. He was barely a 3rd liner on Chicago before the trade. Chicago. This sudden glorification of a replacement player is fucking hilarious and never would have happened if dubas was still in charge.

Back