• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Welcome to the Montreal Canadiens, David Reinbacher

Petr Svoboda. 5th overall, 1984. No one knew very much about him, or where he was on the day of the draft. Didn't stop Savard from taking a big risk on a skinny kid from behind the curtain.

Svoboda may not have become a superstar, but played over 1,000 games in the NHL. Credit Savard for taking the risk. The comparison I'm making here is between taking Svoboda and not taking Michkov although uncertainty abounded in both cases. I'm not factoring Reinbacher into the mix.

Last edited:
Do they not have any intelligence they could trust that could have reported on Michkov? Was it really necessary to be sitting in the seats?Players were drafted all the time from behind the iron curtain, or in the days when regular travel was not always practical.

Following that line of thinking, maybe we should go back to drafting players within a 60 minute drive from Montreal, like we did that year we picked a bunch of Corey Urquharts etc.
How must do you trust one guy that's not from your staff reporting on him vs another guy that all of your staff have personally seen live multiple times?

Petr Svoboda. 5th overall, 1984. No one knew very much about him, or where he was on the day of the draft. Didn't stop Savard from taking a big risk on a skinny kid from behind the curtain.

Svoboda may not have become a superstar, but played over 1,000 games in the NHL. Credit Savard for taking the risk. The comparison I'm making here is between taking Svoboda and not taking Michkov although uncertainty abounded in both cases. I'm not factoring Reinbacher into the mix.
There was no risk. Svoboda was well know and an highly touted prospect, the risk was getting him to defect and come over. By the moment Savard made the pick the defection already happened as Svoboda joined him on the stage.

There was no risk. Svoboda was well know and an highly touted prospect, the risk was getting him to defect and come over. By the moment Savard made the pick the defection already happened as Svoboda joined him on the stage.
There were practically no eastern europeans in the NHL at the time. Maybe the Stasnys. There was no track record. I would say the risk was rather huge that he wouldn't pan out. Probably greater than the risk with Michkov.

How must do you trust one guy that's not from your staff reporting on him vs another guy that all of your staff have personally seen live multiple times?
I would have thought that even in current times, you wouldn't have to trust one guy. I would have thought we would have been a little better connected to whatever intelligence was nearby inside or outside of Russia-scouts, hockey people, KHL ex-pats whomever that would have some insight. Guess not.

And the guy has played in front of westerners before-just not recently. They could add that to the thinking.

A trade down was very available (Nashville offered a mint of picks and Askarov) but HuGo did not want to lose the Austrian
An efficient top pairing D, if that's his ceiling, is worth more than the players who were taken 15 and lower last night, I think.

Reactions: CH1
Back