• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Welcome to the Montreal Canadiens, David Reinbacher

Taking Michkov would have been drafting for need too... we need elite scoring talent.

If David becomes a bona fide #1 dman, then this is a great pick. He definitely has that potential... and he could be playing for the Habs within 15 months. Of course, that's all the upside.

I think that's the key right there.

This weekend so far seemed very similar to what The Charlatan used to do. The moves, on their own, without context, can all be easily justifiable.

Problem is, however, we're speeding up a rebuild and skipping steps. This is not a team that's even remotely close to competing. Hell, we don't even have a franchise player to build around.

I'm very jealous of what Philly's done in the last week. They're going to be able accumulate draft picks and build a team around Michkov three years from now when he arrives. In other words, they can continue to tank for those years, accumulate picks and/or prospects, and if they're lucky enough they'll pick high enough.
So far they arent skipping any steps

They didnt trade #5 for Hannifan or 31 and 37 for Guentzal ......those are kicking the can down the road and accelerating the rebuild moves

Habs have a potential top pair kid and a 22 year old needing a fresh start with more playing time like our Dach move

I'm disappointed that we didn't "swing for the fences"... but I suppose if you're going to "play it safe" it's not so bad when you get a potential #1 dman.

I think that's the key right there.

This weekend so far seemed very similar to what The Charlatan used to do. The moves, on their own, without context, can all be easily justifiable.

Problem is, however, we're speeding up a rebuild and skipping steps. This is not a team that's even remotely close to competing. Hell, we don't even have a franchise player to build around.

I'm very jealous of what Philly's done in the last week. They're going to be able accumulate draft picks and build a team around Michkov three years from now when he arrives. In other words, they can continue to tank for those years, accumulate picks and/or prospects, and if they're lucky enough they'll pick high enough.
Yes, your post about captures my feelings this morning.

Before I signed on this morning, I was thinking that there may an even darker period in Habs history looming ahead. How sad is that?

I was among the biggest critics of Bergevin, but at least he had the sense to draft Caufield.

This management team is now on the clock. My clock anyway.

Reinbacher seems like a good pick, more upside than I originally thought, and potential top pairing. It's really all about Michkov because we have been deprived of that type of talent since Lafleur (although Kovalev gave us a blip of greatness some games here and there).
Reinbacher will likely play a few years here, then be traded in some sort of mediocre deal, the particulars of which will eventually be forgotten .He will have a decent career with a number of teams, dependable, quite expendable, and people will sometimes point and say you know, he went #5 overall. Ho hum.

I'm disappointed that we didn't "swing for the fences"... but I suppose if you're going to "play it safe" it's not so bad when you get a potential #1 dman.
It will take a lot for him to be a #1. I'll be happy with #2 and hope Hutson pans out because we still need elite.

If he is a top pairing D thats a homerun and more valuable than MM

Oilers cant win a cup with 2 top 5 players in the game and average D

MM will never be in that class
Mike Matheson (MM) already is

So far they arent skipping any steps

They didnt trade #5 for Hannifan or 31 and 37 for Guentzal ......those are kicking the can down the road and accelerating the rebuild moves

Habs have a potential top pair kid and a 22 year old needing a fresh start with more playing time like our Dach move
I'm a Newhook fan since his draft. I really think people will be surprised at his skill set and physicality. Let's gooooo Marty, Mr. Fixit time.

Reinbacher will likely play a few years here, then be traded in some sort of mediocre deal, the particulars of which will eventually be forgotten .He will have a decent career with a number of teams, dependable, quite expendable, and people will sometimes point and say you know, he went #5 overall. Ho hum.
Rick Green by another name.

Strange approach by the Montreal Canadiens. If you're strategy is to rebuild through the draft, then you should be picking the best player available. Sorry to say HabsFan, this seems like another own goal by your team.

Strange approach by the Montreal Canadiens. If you're strategy is to rebuild through the draft, then you should be picking the best player available. Sorry to say HabsFan, this seems like another own goal by your team.
They never said they're building through the draft. They said they're looking for age specific NHL ready players.

This is a retool.

And Reinbacher was going top 6. So they thought his upside was more than anyone not named Michkov.

The fact they couldn't watch MM in person, either in the KHL nor in international tournaments, played a factor in their decision, and may have been the determining one. Hopefully they took Reinbacher, not by default, but because they have extra scouting/analytics info that we don't have that says he's a future first unit D.

I am not necessarily talking about this place.

But this fanbase has more drama queens than any other. The reaction to the pick is like the Price pick in 2005....because they didn't pick Gilbert Brule. Bunch of animals.

Yes they went for the safer pick but they also have boom or bust D prospects in Mailloux and Hutson. BUT BUT we need forwards...

I turned my phone off at 8 pm....I dont think I want to even talk to some of my mates. With Covid denial posts on fb, the anti vax rhetoric, and now this, I can't unsee what I have seen.

I am not necessarily talking about this place.

But this fanbase has more drama queens than any other. The reaction to the pick is like the Price pick in 2005....because they didn't pick Gilbert Brule. Bunch of animals.

Yes they went for the safer pick but they also have boom or bust D prospects in Mailloux and Hutson. BUT BUT we need forwards...

I turned my phone off at 8 pm....I dont think I want to even talk to some of my mates. With Covid denial posts on fb, the anti vax rhetoric, and now this, I can't unsee what I have seen.
Bullshit. Leafs win that one in OT.

Or he'll be a cornerstone of our defense for the next 15 years and people will be praising this pick for a long time. Who knows.

Back