• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Welcome to the Montreal Canadiens, David Reinbacher

So he's already been injured and everything about him is "safe".

Playing it safe only guarantees mediocrity. Plekanec was safe but Kovalev moved the needle. We already have a roster full of "safe". We need a couple of loose cannon, high risk, high reward players.

It was always the Gorton NYR blueprint that was sold to Jr - unfortunately as HuGo discovered w PLD, Mtl doesn’t automatically sell itself to NHL players, the way NYC automatically does
Gorton's main job is being a shield.

Sounds like they think he’ll be a top pairing D - we’ll see - AND HuGo either don’t, or can’t, wait three years for top picks to arrive because the Big Boss won’t be patient enough.

Sounds like they think he’ll be a top pairing D - we’ll see - AND HuGo either don’t, or can’t, wait three years for top picks to arrive because the Big Boss won’t be patient enough.
I think that's the key right there.

This weekend so far seemed very similar to what The Charlatan used to do. The moves, on their own, without context, can all be easily justifiable.

Problem is, however, we're speeding up a rebuild and skipping steps. This is not a team that's even remotely close to competing. Hell, we don't even have a franchise player to build around.

I'm very jealous of what Philly's done in the last week. They're going to be able accumulate draft picks and build a team around Michkov three years from now when he arrives. In other words, they can continue to tank for those years, accumulate picks and/or prospects, and if they're lucky enough they'll pick high enough.

I don't think Michkov was ever a realistic option. There have been rumblings for over a year that Molson didn't want us taking any Russians at any point in the draft.
yep he has PTSD from Mailloux and Trudeau is a fan and Russophobe who probably lobbied Geoff not to take a Russian.

So we're still doing the "how does he play without the puck" bullshit? If he scores 50 goals on a consistent basis I don't give a shit what he does or doesn't do without the puck and neither should anyone else. Must this franchise obsess itself with turning thoroughbreds into wagon pullers? I'll take a one dimensional 50 goal scorer over a 200 foot good without the puck plodder any day.
he won't score 50 on a regular basis

3-years apparently wasn’t the issue for HuGo & SJS GM Grier:

This level of in-depth, in-person scouting is what the Canadiens lacked on Matvei Michkov, who went two picks later to the Philadelphia Flyers at No. 7. Hughes said that was the major red flag for them. It wasn’t his contract with SKA St. Petersburg, it wasn’t the geopolitical landscape. It was that they hadn’t seen him play other than on video, and video never tells the whole story.

And the Canadiens weren’t alone.

“We had some concerns,” said San Jose Sharks GM Mike Grier, who passed on Michkov at No. 4. “He’s a special talent on the ice, there’s no doubt about it. Super skilled, can do things a lot of other players can’t. But there are some things that we weren’t completely satisfied with to be able to take someone with the fourth pick.”

The Arizona Coyotes also passed on Michkov at No. 6, not to mention the Anaheim Ducks and Columbus Blue Jacketspicking ahead of the Sharks.

New Flyers GM Daniel Brière didn’t pass.

“We took a big swing, but we hope that this turns out to be a home run,” he said. “Time will tell and it’s a little early, but we feel when he’s ready to come, he could really be a difference maker. And that’s the risk that we were willing to take, to wait a little bit to hopefully have a difference maker on our hands.”

Just as Hughes’ two comments six weeks apart sounded conflicting, so do those two comments from two NHL GMs said a few minutes apart.

I like what Briere said better than what Hughes said.

"We took a big swing but we hope that this turns out to be a home run."

Hughes was content with a ground rule double.

Reinbacher seems like a good pick, more upside than I originally thought, and potential top pairing. It's really all about Michkov because we have been deprived of that type of talent since Lafleur (although Kovalev gave us a blip of greatness some games here and there).

Last edited:
HuGo were not going to wait 4 (Kuznetsov) or 5 (Kaprizov) years either..

As Hughes said today, they’re trying to “accelerate the rebuild” - Reinbacher will be in Mtl or Laval after next season in Europe
4 or 5 year wait is not something you do at # 5

Reinbacher seems like a good pick, more upside and potential top pairing. It's really all about Michkov because we have been deprived of that type of talent since Lafleur (although Kovalev gave us a blip of greatness some games here and there).
If he is a top pairing D thats a homerun and more valuable than MM

Oilers cant win a cup with 2 top 5 players in the game and average D

MM will never be in that class

Back