• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Also the world leader in saving 10 dollars to spent 8. Disney's obviously positioning them for a sale at this point, and there's every chance some ridiculous venture capital d-bag can swoop in and ruin multiple sports in a very short period of time. I'm almost rooting for it, actually.
Um, which ones haven't been riuned so far?
College football & hoops are worthy if the announcing team has their mess together, as the matchup usually doesn't require much announcing help in the first place. NFL (what I watch of it) seems decent, though much of the old guard has already been flushed and their replacements can be hit or miss. I don't give half a damn about NBA or tennis, golf, or MLB combined and wouldn't begin to know how their broadcasts are. It is a known fact that the ESPN NHL coverage ain't worth what comes out of a fat baby's ass. I'm finding myself surfing away from ESPN most days lately. Just bring back Australian Rules Football, dammit!

Jim

Um, which ones haven't been riuned so far?
College football & hoops are worthy if the announcing team has their mess together, as the matchup usually doesn't require much announcing help in the first place. NFL (what I watch of it) seems decent, though much of the old guard has already been flushed and their replacements can be hit or miss. I don't give half a damn about NBA or tennis, golf, or MLB combined and wouldn't begin to know how their broadcasts are. It is a known fact that the ESPN NHL coverage ain't worth what comes out of a fat baby's ass. I'm finding myself surfing away from ESPN most days lately. Just bring back Australian Rules Football, dammit!

Jim
By ruin, I guess I meant ... run out of business entirely. It IS what VC buzzards are best at, after all.

And the hedge fund bros. Find a company that is on its deathbed, buy it for pennies, then sell off any assets it may have, kill the company, then blame the workers for getting paid too much.

And as for ESPN, it's nothing but a hot take factory these days. Even the game broadcasts are mostly hot takes. Bo-ring
Good thing they haven't had a crack at cricket yet ... and that they abandoned Aussie rules football and never got into rugby. At least there's some stuff out there that ESPN hasn't smeared with their smarmy musk

It's amazing how much super high speed internet and cell service has changed the media landscape. SportsCenter was at one time appointment viewing to see all of the highlights from that day and night. Olbermann and Patrick were as big as the athletes back in their day. Now, though, most of us don't need a highlights show anymore as we can watch them on our social media platforms soon after they actually occur.

We may be witnessing the dying days of the Pac-12. Arizona is on the verge of joining the Big 12. The Arizona Board of Regents has made it clear that Arizona and Arizona State are joined at the hip. Supposedly, the Big 12 is also after Utah too. And Big 10 presidents and chancellors have authorized commissioner Tony Pettiti to explore adding Oregon and Washington. That would leave Oregon St., Wazzu, Cal and Stanford as the last schools standing. A merger with the Mountain West?

Yep, and Colorado already moved back to the Big 12. Rather, they made their intentions clear about moving back. If it weren't for all that sweet Big 10 money, Nebraska would be well served to move back as well. I mean, it just feels right with them in that conference instead.

Nebraska and Rutgers, man.. dontcha think the B1G would want a do-over on those knowing they'd be picking the meat off the bones of the Pac-12 in a few years...

Last edited:
The Big 12 moved aggressively when Texas and Oklahoma left and negotiated a new media rights deal. The Pac-12 deal expires after this season and they did nothing until recently, and the best they could get was a streaming deal with Apple, with maybe some over the air coverage. The diddled and are paying the price.

Remember several years ago when the Pac-12 was on the verge of grabbing Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech? Not moving forward on that was probably the beginning of the end for them.

Between the NIL deals, the schools chasing $ all over the country, the one and dones in college basketball - does anyone else feel like it’s time for colleges to divorce themselves from sports? There’s no longer an association between student athletes and the joy of rivalries. It’s money, money, money, and maybe we should just call it minor league football and minor league basketball and be done with it as a non-profit university activity? Spoken as someone who has been a loyal Duke fan for 40+ years.

NILs will force the NCAA to have a salary cap in the near future, or they're simply going to put a ton more teams into D2 and D3. D1 will consist of less than 50 schools, all with billions of dollars in "salary". They've already circumvented the number of scholarships with NIL money.

Pete Thamel, who covers college football for ESPN, says that in the next 24 hours, the ACC will have 2 calls to vet and have early discussions on the potential additions of Cal and Stanford, 1 call each for Presidents and ADs

Back