• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020-21 Season and Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
checkMrkSm.png
Paid
Habsy's Hockey Heathens*

If you're not first you're last. Where's my cup?
I was second 1st.

Ironic that new guys have more prospects and I even traded a few roster guys to get more. Our draft didn't have nearly the same amount.

Bad draft year.

So how does this work for the podium teams...

Axl sent me my winnings, less the original $40 entry fee for next season.
Now Fantrax is asking me to pay the US$30 fee.

I guess Axl will send me the original $40 entry fee, and I will deal with Fantrax myself ?
Yeah, 30US is really close to $40CDN so I'll just pay the entry fees when I get home.

11kritter1347.40.01347.4
22Green Hornets1288.911.61300.5
33Thunder1264.51.61266.1
44Matrim1250.90.01250.9
55Don't Hassle the Hoff, Man1234.62.61237.2

Last year's Top 5.

This year's entry fees for Kritter, Green Hornets and Thunder have been taken care of. Prize is free entry for #4 and #5, looks like Matrim left the league while in the money (WTF) and Deckie's fee is already paid. I guess I'll have to send out refunds to these 2?

Ironic that new guys have more prospects and I even traded a few roster guys to get more. Our draft didn't have nearly the same amount.

Bad draft year.
I add the vast majority of my prospects via free agent pick ups and trades during the season.

So it seems like I missed a big debate here yesterday! A couple points from me:

1. It's great to have open discussions like this. I know from experience that you don't always "win" the debate. LOL But it's good to feel heard.

2. As fun as that dispersal draft just was, and as fun as it would be to do it again every few years, I think that would encourage behaviour that the league wouldn't like.

I know the first thing my mind thinks of is "Well, if owners can choose to do that....I might as well load up on aging stars and go all in for a title, future be damned. By the time my guys have aged out and I should be paying for that strategy with a shitty team that needs to rebuild, 2 or 3 guys will probably leave the league and I'll just toss my team in the dispersal as a shortcut to get some great young players and picks again."

So I'd see that as a major issue both for new owners plus those who've been in the league awhile.

I'm reading through all the rules and settings and trying to get a good understanding. So just a couple of questions to clarify:

1. I see game-winning goals and shootout goals are worth some points. If a guy scores the game-winner IN the shootout, does that count for both in here? Or can game-winning goals only be "regular" goals?

2. Time on ice says 0.025. I'm guessing that's per minute? Anybody know if that's fractional, or if it rounds up/down if a guy plays, say 15:47 in a game?

3. Trying to get a grasp on the save percentage. Seems like it has categories for up to .939 that award points. Shouldn't there be more points for above that too? I might be missing something...never been in a POINTS style pool for hockey before.

4. I feel like there's an error with max games played too (or I'm missing something there as well - very possible). For all the positions, it's 82 games X the number of spots we have. That makes perfect sense. Except for goalies instead of 82 x 2 = 164, it's way, way below that at 90. Unless I'm understanding that wrong.

Thanks for the input, and welcome to the league.

We have 2 active goalie slots, and most goalies only play 50-60 games per season.

I believe the total of 90 games came about as a way to even the field for teams that hold two starters vs. a starter and backup.

Make sense?

I'm reading through all the rules and settings and trying to get a good understanding. So just a couple of questions to clarify:

1. I see game-winning goals and shootout goals are worth some points. If a guy scores the game-winner IN the shootout, does that count for both in here? Or can game-winning goals only be "regular" goals?

2. Time on ice says 0.025. I'm guessing that's per minute? Anybody know if that's fractional, or if it rounds up/down if a guy plays, say 15:47 in a game?

3. Trying to get a grasp on the save percentage. Seems like it has categories for up to .939 that award points. Shouldn't there be more points for above that too? I might be missing something...never been in a POINTS style pool for hockey before.

4. I feel like there's an error with max games played too (or I'm missing something there as well - very possible). For all the positions, it's 82 games X the number of spots we have. That makes perfect sense. Except for goalies instead of 82 x 2 = 164, it's way, way below that at 90. Unless I'm understanding that wrong.
1. Yeah shootout goals and GWG and different categories. A shootout goal is just a shootout goal and doesn't count as a GWG.
2. It rounds every 30 seconds, the total score daily gets rounded to 2 decimel places. I.E, .34, .99, etc.
3. Uhh...the goalie scoring was set up before I even got in the league, and the SV% thing is something I'm not 100% sure on how we arrived at it. @Habspatrol @axlsalinger ?
4. Nope, nothing wrong here. It's set up to mimic an actual team's goalie usage. 90 gp is the number we arrived at as it gives a cushion for when goalies come in when the starter gets pulled. Also makes goalie hoarding less prevalent because there's no real point in having excess goalies.

I always thought the goalie gp was 82 games plus 10% = 90. It made sense to me because your team can only ice one goalie at a time.

Yeah exactly. The league is supposed to mimic an actual NHL team. Originally goalies were set at 82gp as well I believe, but was bumped to account for goalie pulls.

This was set up originally as a 20-team league and since there were 30 teams (at the time) and therefore 30 starting goalies, it was determined that teams wanting two starters would lead to hoarding and over-valueing of goalies. It was determined to go with just 1 starting goalie (ie. 82GP), but since most teams would have backups and no goalie plays 82 games (plus the issue of goalies getting pulled) we bumped it up to 90.

It's the one position where you don't have to start 2 guys each week. Fantrax is set up so you can either have 4C, 6W, 2F, 6D and 2G + 5 Reserves, or 1G + 6 Reserves.

Since a lot more teams use tandems these days, and also I think a lot of teams go over 90 GP too early sometimes, we could definitely consider bumping it up to 100?

I'll have to take a look at the save % scoring later (don't have much time right now), I do know that most posters here think save percentage is by far the best stat for goalies, so it became the key to scoring in this league.

The scoring in this league is brilliant. I wouldn't get caught up in the minutia of every detail. It works, and it works really well.

We adjusted the PIMs/Shots this year in a way to not really disrupt the overall scoring dramatically... but lets not worry about something that ain't broke.

What HP said 👍👍👍

I would not look into changing the 90 GP for goaltenders, or nothing else right now really.

This makes a lot of sense now when you put it this way! I was thinking of a fantasy team because the of the two starting slots instead of one, but I like the idea of mimicking a real team so if this is how you account for backups and tandems and pulls, I get it.

The scoring in this league is brilliant. I wouldn't get caught up in the minutia of every detail. It works, and it works really well.

We adjusted the PIMs/Shots this year in a way to not really disrupt the overall scoring dramatically... but lets not worry about something that ain't broke.
Good point. Time on ice is a new stat for me and it sounds fairly important in here. I'll see how it plays out when the league starts. Just trying to get a good understanding before I make trades that blow up in my face lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back