• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Draft Thread

All the draft day trades has netted the Habs 2 3rd picks and a 7th round pick in 2022 draft. Three extra picks in a deeper draft is good business.

plus the draft is in MTL, so gives the Habs more ammo to move up

TSN is in virtue signalling overdrive right now. They have an interview with Cory Worron and a woman wearing a hijab about the Mailloux pick

The irony is that Scandinavia has a relatively liberal culture with regards to hooking up. But what is not acceptable, in their view is that one partner humiliates the other by sharing photos with other people.

To me, this means two things. 1) We (North Americans) cannot judge the victim’s view, and the view of her community, about what constitutes acceptable behaviour. It is a different culture, so attempts at “slut shaming” are 100% out of context. 2) The crime is about a violation of privacy, it’s not about sex. So I’m not terribly interested in hearing from a bugeyed-Savonerolaesque super prude who can barely function in secular society here, let alone in fucken Sweden.

He made a mistake. He’s 17. He didn’t commit a violent crime. The Swedish legal system has dealt with him. It’s a closed matter legally, There are probably a couple of players drafted every year in the NFL who actually murdered someone. We “know” that one of the greatest Baltimore Ravens ever murdered someone and yet he’s still a beloved figure and is regularly on ESPN . . . speaking of hypocrites . . . The kid is apparently a top 15-20 talent and he’s a right shooting D, which are hard to find. Someone was taking him early in the second round. No problem with the pick.

He made a mistake. He’s 17. He didn’t commit a violent crime. The Swedish legal system has dealt with him. It’s a closed matter legally, There are probably a couple of players drafted every year in the NFL who actually murdered someone. We “know” that one of the greatest Baltimore Ravens ever murdered someone and yet he’s still a beloved figure and is regularly on ESPN . . . speaking of hypocrites . . . The kid is apparently a top 15-20 talent and he’s a right shooting D, which are hard to find. Someone was taking him early in the second round. No problem with the pick.

Agreed , some of these media folks are going way to far

But the Hawks involved in a disgusting sex case get to make all their picks without a stir .

Ownership , GM all involved knew WTF was going on for years and shoved it under the carpet

Yeah. Or he’s stupid. Or entitled. Or a stupid, entitled creep.

Ball is in his court.
The more I read about this the more I think he's an insecure kid that was looking for affirmation at the expense of the girl in question. This makes me wonder if he's mature enough for the league. We shall see.

It was never proven that Ray Lewis fired that shot if that's who you are referring to. The Atlanta incident?

Agreed , some of these media folks are going way to far

But the Hawks involved in a disgusting sex case get to make all their picks without a stir .

Ownership , GM all involved knew WTF was going on for years and shoved it under the carpet
I think Bergevin will indeed walk away and that would give Molson some cover. Especially if he brings in Deangelo

Another example: Adrian Peterson beat the shit out of his kid, showed zero remorse for it and is universally loved.

You know... If you had to ask me which of the two situations is worst, sharing a picture or beating your kid... I don't think it's all that difficult.

Another example: Adrian Peterson beat the shit out of his kid, showed zero remorse for it and is universally loved.

You know... If you had to ask me which of the two situations is worst, sharing a picture or beating your kid... I don't think it's all that difficult.
While what Mailloux did may be on the lighter end of the douchebag/illegal spectrum, it's still on the spectrum.

I was thinking about this last night and I think he can better make restitution on an NHL salary. He should offer something to the girl if he decides to sign which it sounds like he intends on doing. It won't undo what he did but he should offer, even if it's to pay for counseling or something she may need. Nobody really knows how she's dealing with it, it's speculation at this point.

The more I read about this the more I think he's an insecure kid that was looking for affirmation at the expense of the girl in question. This makes me wonder if he's mature enough for the league. We shall see.

Very plausible. The victim gave him an out before this thing blew up and he didn’t have the humility, intelligence or knowledge to do so. As others have noted, others have done worse. That doesn’t excuse him from his actions, he is accountable, but it does not exclude him from making a living as a pro hockey player.

The pick is done, time for next steps. Ball is in his court.

I don't think anyone (Except WeHave because, well, that's his modus operandi) is excusing what he did or is making light of it, and he'll have that hanging over him for a large part of hi career. In the end, he did a really shitty (and illegal) thing and he's living with the consequences of that action.

I have no idea if his apologies are sincere or not, I hope they are. I have no idea if he's a piece of shit human being or just someone that's really insecure. I like to think that he was 17, in a foreign country, looking for some sort of validation and made a really stupid mistake. And I'm really hoping that it's the only issue that'll ever arise for him, because he doesn't have much leeway.

Back