• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Rangers send Julien Gauthier and a conditional 2023 7th rounder to the Sens for Tyler Motte. If the Rangers advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs, the Sens get the lower of the Rangers or Jets 6th rounder.

Rangers send Julien Gauthier and a conditional 2023 7th rounder to the Sens for Tyler Motte. If the Rangers advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs, the Sens get the lower of the Rangers or Jets 6th rounder.
I guess it's safe to say that our former first round pick (#21 overall) has been a bust. Through 136 career games, Gauthier has only 11 goals and 16 assists.

Multiple people reporting that Timo Meier is heading to Carolina. Awaiting official confirmation and details.

I'm going to say "speculating" because it mostly based on him sitting out of practice and rumbles from reporters and sources there. Nothing from the big names yet.

Last edited:
Multiple people reporting that Timo Meier is heading to Carolina. Awaiting official confirmation and details.

I'm going to say "speculating" because it mostly based on him sitting out of practice and rumbles from reporters and sources there. Nothing from the big names yet.
From what I've read, he is out day-to-day with an upper body injury.

I saw a vague report that San Jose was less than impressed with Jersey's approach to the contract situation. I think Carolina's position that they'd worry about that after a trade has got to be more comfortable for the Sharks. That said, I've seen nothing even remotely firm from any source I'd trust.

Islanders playoff chances took a hit. Mathew Barzal is out indefinitely with a lower body injury. They’re 2nd in the wild card with 63 points, but they’ve played 59 games, more than any of the others in contention aside from Florida.

Islanders playoff chances took a hit. Mathew Barzal is out indefinitely with a lower body injury. They’re 2nd in the wild card with 63 points, but they’ve played 59 games, more than any of the others in contention aside from Florida.

TERRIBLE timing. Barzal going down right when the Isles claw their way into the playoff picture sucks, but losing him right when Florida is finding their legs is a double hit. Washington might be going down the tubes, but there's danger behind them.

Isn't this where your soon to be earning $8.5 million per #2 center is expected to step up and fill that void?

David Pastrnak scored his 40th and 41 goals last night.

Revisiting the 2014 NHL draft's first round, the Canes took Haydn Fleury 7th overall in that draft. 1st round picks after that 7th overall pick included:

William Nylander (8th)
Nik Ehlers (9th)
Kevin Fiala (11th)
Jakub Vrana (13th)
Dylan Larkin (15th)
Alex Tuch (18th)
Tony DeAngelo (19th)
David Pastrnak (25th)
Adrian Kempe (29th)

I skipped over Nick Ritchie, Brendan Perlini, Sonny Milano, Travis Sandheim, Nick Schmaltz, Robby Fabbri, Kasperi Kapanen, Jared McCann.

Of course you can play this game for almost every 1st round, but the Canes whiffed in the 1st round of 2014, big time.

David Pastrnak scored his 40th and 41 goals last night.

Revisiting the 2014 NHL draft's first round, the Canes took Haydn Fleury 7th overall in that draft. 1st round picks after that 7th overall pick included:

William Nylander (8th)
Nik Ehlers (9th)
Kevin Fiala (11th)
Jakub Vrana (13th)
Dylan Larkin (15th)
Alex Tuch (18th)
Tony DeAngelo (19th)
David Pastrnak (25th)
Adrian Kempe (29th)

I skipped over Nick Ritchie, Brendan Perlini, Sonny Milano, Travis Sandheim, Nick Schmaltz, Robby Fabbri, Kasperi Kapanen, Jared McCann.

Of course you can play this game for almost every 1st round, but the Canes whiffed in the 1st round of 2014, big time.
Pasta and Kempe were drafted that high based on pure potential. IIRC, neither one impressed many scouts all that much up to that point. But yeah, Nylander was a no brainer sitting right there. Passing on him for Fleury and then turning around and drafting a guy with exactly the same tool kit (Hanifin) the next year was ... not great.

Back