• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Rumblings today that St. Louis is now a player for Timo Meier. They have 3 2023 first round picks to dangle now and see Meier as a perfect retool option (makes sense to me).

Rumblings today that St. Louis is now a player for Timo Meier. They have 3 2023 first round picks to dangle now and see Meier as a perfect retool option (makes sense to me).
If you were Timo Meier, where would you want to go? Does SL want to take the chance on him not signing an extension?

Gary Bettman shilling for the Tempe arena vote, encouraging people to register to vote.

If you were Timo Meier, where would you want to go? Does SL want to take the chance on him not signing an extension?

Especially after tonight's game. "Yeah, please deal me to the team that just got it's ass kicked by the other potential trade partner!"

I suspect that if the Blues pay Timo Meier, he wouldn't give a crap if he was in St. Louis or New Jersey or Carolina. He is an RFA, he doesn't get to pick his destination (yet).

He's not going to a team on the rebuild.
He doesn't have any movement protection, so San Jose is gonna make the best deal they can and worry about their former player's wishes ... probably never. Bottom line ... if Grier can come away with 2 or even 3 first rounders in a package, he's gonna be willing to send Meier to freaking Siberia if he has to.

Last edited:
Sounds like Ryan Johansen suffered a deep laceration on his foot from a skate cut last night vs the Canucks and will be done for the year requiring surgery. So if the Preds were not selling before, they certainly are now.

Last edited:
Sounds like Ryan Johansen suffered a deep laceration on his leg from a skate cut last night vs the Canucks and will be done for the year requiring surgery. So if the Preds were not selling before, they certainly are now.
From what I read last week, many were pointing to last weekend as make or break for the Preds. They smoked the Panthers on Saturday but lost to the Wild, whom they’re chasing. They trail the Wild by 7 points with 2 games in hand but have only picked up 1 point in the last 10.

Re: Nashville, the Preds have often declined to yield to the logic of the standings in the past, so ... yeah. I'll believe David Poile is selling the second he starts actually doing so. From Carolina's perspective, it would be good to have a couple of Nashville's forwards in the mix to dilute the pool though. The more players in the mix, the lower the prices.

Eliotte Friedman had some trade deadline thoughts for every team this morning. Mentioned the Canes may have checked in on Craig Smith of the Bruins...but why help out the Bruins cap space unless you get another asset back since Smith is not a cheap add and Boston is looking to dump a contract to make Gavrikov fit.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-a-trade-deadline-check-in-on-each-nhl-team/
I'm not concerned about Boston getting Gavrikov because he's barely better than their current depth D, but yeah ... Carolina talking to them about Smith would be weird. It could be in service of a 3 party deal, but it would be hard to imagine those two doing a straight deal on much of anything right now. From both sides. There's no trade that only helps only one party, after all. Carolina's not in the charity business, and Boston won't want to help them any more than they'd want to help Boston.

I'm not concerned about Boston getting Gavrikov because he's barely better than their current depth D, but yeah ... Carolina talking to them about Smith would be weird. It could be in service of a 3 party deal, but it would be hard to imagine those two doing a straight deal on much of anything right now. From both sides. There's no trade that only helps only one party, after all. Carolina's not in the charity business, and Boston won't want to help them any more than they'd want to help Boston.
Yeah Gavrikov does not even really fit into their top 4 on D considering their existing D core. Boston apparently is trying to dump one of Smith or Reilly to shed a contract and free up some cap space.

Heck, they're better off playing freaking Reilly than moving a bunch of stuff around to get Gavrikov in there. He's only marginally better. They way they are structured, he's probably not bumping Grzelcyk out of the top 4. Why they'd try and do a bunch of fancy footwork to add that guy is a mystery, other than the fact that the trade deadline makes perceived heroes out of chumps all the time. You'll find 20 guys better than him this summer if you wait.

The Vegas Golden Knights have entered the chat.

They traded Shea Weber’s carcass and a 2023 5th rounder to Arizona for dman Dysin Mayo. He’s played 82 games for the Yotes over the las 2 seasons and is in the first year of a 3 year/$950k AAV contract. Weber’s contract expires after the 2025-26 season and carries a $7.865 million cap hit but the actual is only $1 million for the next 3 years.

The Sens send Nikita Zaitsev, a 2023 2nd rounder and a 2026 4th rounder to Chicago for…future considerations? He has 1 more year at a $4.5 million AAV.

Someone make sense of this for me. Are the Sens clearing cap space to make a trade?

The Sens send Nikita Zaitsev, a 2023 2nd rounder and a 2026 4th rounder to Chicago for…future considerations? He has 1 more year at a $4.5 million AAV.

Someone make sense of this for me. Are the Sens clearing cap space to make a trade?
Maybe...they're only six points our of the wild card with four games in hand.

Maybe...they're only six points our of the wild card with four games in hand.
Good point. I hadn’t looked that far down in the standings in a while. They’re also only 6 points ahead of Montreal for 15th in the conference. It’s an interesting dilemma. A high priced rental likely won’t make the difference between making or missing the playoffs. But they have a bunch of cap space available at the deadline and can take a swing at Meier as a long term solution. On the other hand, they have about $5 million in dead money between buyouts and retained salary and the team is for sale after Eugene Melnyk’s death. A lot may depend on when that sale closes.

The Sens are having a bad season, but 1) they are within striking distance of a wild card spot, and 2) they are 7-2-1 in their last 10 games.

Back