• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Meier trade is complete. Devils send wing Fabian Zetterlund, wing Andreas Johnsson, dman Nikita Okhotyuk, dman Shakir Mukhamadullin, a 2023 1st and a conditional 2024 1st for z either and Scott z Harrington. Sharks retain 50% of Meieirr salary. On,y Zetterlund is a current Devils roster player, Mukhamadullin is playing in the KHL but played in the AHL last year.
They didn’t even have to part with their two best prospects or any of their best young players off their roster…Grier is going to get roasted for not getting more proven young players or can’t miss prospects back.

The 2023 pick is to 2 protected. The conditions on the 2024 pick are that if the Devils make the 2023 ECF and Meier plays 50% of the playoff games or if the Devils make the 2024 ECF, the pick is a top 10 protected 1st rounder in 2024.

The Devils also got forwards Tiour Ibragimov, dman Santeri Hatakka, goalie Zachary Emond and the Avs 2024 5th rounder.

Devils avoided trading their top prospects.

Kind of hard to come up with a comparable Canes package as we don't have a Fabian Zetterlund equivalent. The rest of the lesser prospect package the Canes would have been able to do. We might have balked at the possibility of trading what might be 2 1st round picks.

Jeannot nets dman Cal Foote and 5 picks; 2023 3rd, 4th and 5th rounders, 2024 2nd and 2025 1st. The Bolts don‘t pick until the 6th round this year, the 3rd round next year. They had already sent their 1st rounder this year and next to Chicago for Brandon Hagel last March.

For Cal Foote, a top 10 protected 2025 1st round pick, a 2024 2nd round pick, and a 3rd 4th and 5th round pick in 2023.

All of that for Tanner Jeannot
Seravalli says the Preds originally asked for 2 firsts. How did they only get a 2nd rounder for Nino?

David Poile wanted to go out in style…wow that might be one of the worst trades ever by Tampa. They already had a handful of guys that can do what Jeannot does, that one is hard to understand now and for years to come.

David Poile wanted to go out in style…wow that might be one of the worst trades ever by Tampa. They already had a handful of guys that can do what Jeannot does, that one is hard to understand now and for years to come.
Unless they think his 20 goal outburst last season was the norm and not an aberration. He scored 40 as an overage player in Moose Jaw and had 10 in a 13 game Covid season in the AHL.

For Cal Foote, a top 10 protected 2025 1st round pick, a 2024 2nd round pick, and a 3rd 4th and 5th round pick in 2023.

All of that for Tanner Jeannot
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Tampa certainly still misses that jam that they got on the checking line from Coleman and Goodrow and they will probably be looking to move on from the likes of Maroon and maybe Killorn this summer. So, yeah, they need this kind of player. But at THAT price? Holy cow, that's nuts. What they needed to do was churn 3 or 4 roster slots before next season and they burned all their draft capital on one freaking guy. That's Vegas level thinking right there. Not at ALL Tampa's normal MO.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Tampa certainly still misses that jam that they got on the checking line from Coleman and Goodrow and they will probably be looking to move on from the likes of Maroon and maybe Killorn this summer. So, yeah, they need this kind of player. But at THAT price? Holy cow, that's nuts. What they needed to do was churn 3 or 4 roster slots before next season and they burned all their draft capital on one freaking guy. That's Vegas level thinking right there. Not at ALL Tampa's normal MO.
Seravalli tweeted this morning that he thinks they’re talking about an extension in the 6 year/$2 million AAV range.

Seravalli tweeted this morning that he thinks they’re talking about an extension in the 6 year/$2 million AAV range.
I mean, that's all well and good. Tampa particularly needs cheap impact players and Jeannot is clearly that. Good pickup ... for Cal Foote and a pick. NOT Foote and FIVE picks, including a 1st.

Devils avoided trading their top prospects.

Kind of hard to come up with a comparable Canes package as we don't have a Fabian Zetterlund equivalent. The rest of the lesser prospect package the Canes would have been able to do. We might have balked at the possibility of trading what might be 2 1st round picks.
Seeing what the Devils traded for him got me feeling very disappointed. I feel they missed a huge opportunity there.

Seeing what the Devils traded for him got me feeling very disappointed. I feel they missed a huge opportunity there.
We don't know what the specific ask was for the Canes. Might have been a completely different structure than the deal the Sharks struck with NJ. I get feeling disappointed in general but we really don't know the specifics.

Are you implying the Sharks would have asked for much more from the Canes compared to the Devils? That doesn't sound reasonable to me.

Are you implying the Sharks would have asked for much more from the Canes compared to the Devils? That doesn't sound reasonable to me.
No ... just that we can't assume that the package they were negotiating with the Canes looked pretty much the same as the one they negotiated with the Devils. I'm not saying they asked more, and not less ... just different. That's almost a given because no two teams have identical prospect pools.

It stings more for me because it's a divisional rival on our tail and a player that will hurt the Canes and help the Devils four or five times a year plus playoffs for a long time to come. I would have been ok with losing out on Meier if he went to a Western team or even a non-divisional rival...the way that it ended up just stings a bit more as a Canes fan. Rangers and Devils are both stacked for quite some time moving forward, just the way the cookie crumbles.

Yeah this was the guy they should have done whatever they could to get in my oppinion. This year. Now he went to one of the rivals and that sucks.

It stings more for me because it's a divisional rival on our tail and a player that will hurt the Canes and help the Devils four or five times a year plus playoffs for a long time to come. I would have been ok with losing out on Meier if he went to a Western team or even a non-divisional rival...the way that it ended up just stings a bit more as a Canes fan. Rangers and Devils are both stacked for quite some time moving forward, just the way the cookie crumbles.
I mean, the Rangers haven't added anyone they can afford to keep past this season. They're set to be good for exactly as long as their three big contract forwards can keep up their production ... two of whom are already over 30. They're set up to be good, but I don't know about stacked. Jersey? We'll see if they can get Meier extended, but yeah ... they've been rebuilding for a while and are set to be a contender for the next phase. Their goaltending is still an issue though and they've got more than just Meier's contract to worry about this summer ... just to tread water.

I'm not saying it's nothing ... but I'm not saying those two are juggernauts for the next 5 years either. I just don't think the sky has fallen, and I know exactly how popular that makes me on the internet.

Back