• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

It’s not an excuse, it’s baked right into the rule. Don’t like it? Dubas can ask the competition committee to review it.

How long are you going to let the play continue? 10 seconds? 30 seconds? 1 minute? At some point the play is over. Cam Ward “gave up” a goal when the puck was lodged in his pads. No one saw where the puck was, but his leg went behind the goal line. The puck eventually dropped out and after review, the refs awarded a goal. But it was a good 15 seconds after everyone stopped playing.
That call looked right. The puck was not visible and impossible to tell it it was in until the goalie started getting up which was after the whistle. The puck then went in at that time. Not possible to tell if it was in before.

the interference on the last goal completely took the defender out of the play. Should have been no goal and a leafs power play. You can’t just let that go it lead directly to the goal.

the nhl has an unwritten rule that if in overtime and the ref is tired, has a date, dinner is waiting, and any one of a myriad of possibilities he can refuse to call a penalty in an effort to move the gsme along.

The no goal call was correct. The side by side showing the ref blowing the whistle long before Bob moved his leg and pushed the puck in, proves it beyond any doubt. He wouldn't have causally stood up if he hadn't heard a whistle. The shot never went in. He pushed it in with his leg after the play. No amount of bitching and crying can change that.

The delay of game, looked really close, but ultimately the puck went out of the rink. Also not replay reviewable. Play defense Toronto or score more goals.

The no goal call was correct. The side by side showing the ref blowing the whistle long before Bob moved his leg and pushed the puck in, proves it beyond any doubt. He wouldn't have causally stood up if he hadn't heard a whistle. The shot never went in. He pushed it in with his leg after the play. No amount of bitching and crying can change that.

The delay of game, looked really close, but ultimately the puck went out of the rink. Also not replay reviewable. Play defense Toronto or score more goals.
What TO was celebrating though was the puck arguably crossing the line under Bob’s pad on the initial part of the play, well before when Bob pushed it in. There‘s a replay that wasnt shown on the US broadcast that could’ve qualified as clear evidence of the puck crossing the line. Agree that TO shouldnt have been given a goal for Bob pushing it in. In the end, when you score 2 goals in each of 7 straight games and only win 2 of 11 in regulation, you’re probably not the team that should be advancing.

"sEaTtLe AnD vEgAs Is GrEaT fOr ThE gAmE. CaRoLiNa AnD fLoRiDa Is ThE wOrSt MaTcHuP eVeR" talk has already started.

What TO was celebrating though was the puck arguably crossing the line under Bob’s pad on the initial part of the play, well before when Bob pushed it in. There‘s a replay that wasnt shown on the US broadcast that could’ve qualified as clear evidence of the puck crossing the line. Agree that TO shouldnt have been given a goal for Bob pushing it in. In the end, when you score 2 goals in each of 7 straight games and only win 2 of 11 in regulation, you’re probably not the team that should be advancing.
You know who isn't taking any heat in this conversation that 100% should be? Freaking Tavaras and Reilly. They NEVER saw that puck cross the line before they started throwing their arms in the air. They were absolutely trying to game the officials into calling it a goal on the ice so it would be harder to overturn. There's a reason Reilly covered his mouth during discussions with his teammates ... he KNEW that thing wasn't a goal.

"sEaTtLe AnD vEgAs Is GrEaT fOr ThE gAmE. CaRoLiNa AnD fLoRiDa Is ThE wOrSt MaTcHuP eVeR" talk has already started.
Yeah, predictable, tired and stupid. And mostly online, although this nonsense does leak over into the pool of people who work in media, all of whom ought to know better. Whatever. I don't want to live in Vegas or Seattle or anyplace else the gatekeepers of hockey consider appropriate, so ... those morons can just keep banging that drum all they want.

It's all bad for the league. Losing Boston, NY, Toronto and Edmonton will lose the NHL a lot of viewers. Honestly, I truly hope Edmonton and Dallas win because I hate the idea of LV and Seattle in the conference finals.

It's all bad for the league. Losing Boston, NY, Toronto and Edmonton will lose the NHL a lot of viewers. Honestly, I truly hope Edmonton and Dallas win because I hate the idea of LV and Seattle in the conference finals.
Why do you hate it? Last time I checked every team has a chance at the Cup with a playoff berth, that’s what makes it great, I couldn’t give two shits about what ESPN thinks of it or because Uncle Gary didn’t get a woody over a Rangers-Kings Final. The tired narratives of it has to be a mainstream market for it to be great is just BS.

I'm not a huge fan of the current expansion process, but once they get a team on the ice then everybody's on the same playing field so far as I'm concerned.

I don't like Vegas, and really don't like Seattle. Just my preference. I'd rather see Dallas or Edmonton, and one of those disasters has already sank itself. I just think a LV/Seattle conference finals is a snoozefest for ME. I won't watch it. I hate both franchises.

LeBrun says that the Pens were aiming to interview 10-12 candidates for their GM position by Zoom. Among those confirmed are Marc Bergevin, Jason Karmanos, Peter Chiarelli and Eric Tulsky. If Tulsky can’t advance against those jamokes, he’s never getting hired. But seriously, it’s time for Waddell to resign as GM, not because he stinks, but because we’re going to lose Tulsky in the next 2 years if he’s not promoted.

LeBrun says that the Pens were aiming to interview 10-12 candidates for their GM position by Zoom. Among those confirmed are Marc Bergevin, Jason Karmanos, Peter Chiarelli and Eric Tulsky. If Tulsky can’t advance against those jamokes, he’s never getting hired. But seriously, it’s time for Waddell to resign as GM, not because he stinks, but because we’re going to lose Tulsky in the next 2 years if he’s not promoted.
I heard Habsy was going to provide a reference for Bergevin!!! 🤣

If Dubas isn't renewed I could see Toronto going for Tulsky

If Dubas isn't renewed I could see Toronto going for Tulsky
And I could see him taking an interview before telling them no thanks. I honestly think Eric is WAY too smart for Toronto to be his first proper GM job. He'd take the interview though. He's one of those guys who thinks taking interviews is a good way to learn about other organizations' processes.

Tulksy has 90% of the GM's job here already and WAY more influence/interaction with the coaching staff than some GMs. The question is about his pay rate more than anything else, I think. If Dundon needed to re-shuffle the desktop name plate titles to keep this crew together, he'd do it in a hot minute and there's no way Donnie Waddell wouldn't be cool with going back to President. If Dundon has got to pay market rate for non-player staff ... that's the issue. I think he'd dig up the cash for Tulsky, but it's hard to be certain with him.

I know one thing for sure. As much as online Canes fans would lose their minds, this franchise will survive losing Eric Tulsky. He's a VERY influential member of the management team, but he's also one dude and LOTS of people work in the collective over at the Canes offices. If they screw around and lose Brind'Amour at some point, my permission to freak out is granted without reservation. He and Dundon are the unique elements in the mix here.

Last edited:
Back