• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

They have Coyotes in Houston, don’t they?
We've got too many coyotes here. Sombitches wake me up some nights howling behind the house.

They could have coyotes in Quebec City if the price is right. I know there's a huge desire for that to happen, but I just can't see it.

I think the move from Arizona to Houston might make more sense, they'd already be in the same region and conference. There's a lot of money in Houston and fewer bitchy old people than in Arizona. It's also a massive market.

Jim

We've got too many coyotes here. Sombitches wake me up some nights howling behind the house.

They could have coyotes in Quebec City if the price is right. I know there's a huge desire for that to happen, but I just can't see it.

I think the move from Arizona to Houston might make more sense, they'd already be in the same region and conference. There's a lot of money in Houston and fewer bitchy old people than in Arizona. It's also a massive market.

Jim
I would certainly not be a candidate to move to Houston but I will say that a number of my friends have kids that are moving there as it seems to be a growing place for younger folks.
As my dad used to say “I ain’t ever lost anything there that I need to go find”. 😂

There's a decent sized rabbit warren on the edge of my lot and while I hate to do it, I'm gonna have to make sure the rabbits are gone by next spring. I've got too small a dog to have this much wild kingdom action going on in the backyard. Coyotes, foxes, feral cats, regular murder kitties ... it's like a freaking Golden Corral buffet back there.

OK ... market basics time, since it seems pretty likely that the NHL has exhausted realistic options in Phoenix.

Houston ... existing NBA arena with decent access. Not one of those just for basketball designs, which is good. People keep saying that Rockets owner Tillman Fertitta is interested, but it's not like he's lobbying for the opportunity or anything. We'll see. Best untapped TV market by far

Atlanta ... once you get over the whole "they failed twice" thing, this sorta makes sense. Hockey is largely a white suburban sport in the US and let's face it, Atlanta is officially teaching NY a thing or two about organized, efficient white flight. Gwinnett Co may actually out-grow Atlanta itself one day and has it's own weird spread out version of a city's infrastructure. They're already building an arena and have an existing smaller arena that's more plausible as temporary home than the embarrassing bandbox the Coyotes currently use. There's also a well heeled ownership group who is actually actively interested. So yeah, it would be weird but it would probably work. Moving to the burbs was great for the Braves.

Quebec ... arena, check. Everything else, not so much. There's an ownership group, but they're more interested than well funded. There's a hockey mad market, but it's small and not growing. There's the part that no one will say out loud ... Quebec adds nothing to the league's TV footprint, in fact it makes it worse. Moving to Quebec won't change the Canadian TV package at all and will hurt the US deals. It's a net negative any way you slice it. There's a reason the NHL eventually bigfoots QC's bids for expansion and relocation, and it's that.

Other Places ... show me a suitable building, a motivated competent and well financed ownership group and a TV market in the US top 30 (or with the probability of being there inside of a decade) and you're already ahead of Quebec.

Bottom line ... if Fertitta is ACTUALLY interested then Houston would be a no brainer. Western mega-market, off the shelf building, stable owner that was vetted by people who have brains. Barring that, as weird as it sounds Atlanta would work. It would be a hard sell, but it would work.

Also ... while I feel bad for the the actual Coyotes fans in Phoenix, that franchise has been poorly managed almost from day one. The Yotes financial issues have been going on pretty much continually since a couple of years after they showed up in Phoenix. They have never had a decent arena deal ... even when they moved into an arena built just for them it was saddled with a terrible debt structure that made it all but a given that their revenues would struggle to keep up with costs ... and have been through a string of quasi-conmen for owners (including the league itself). The money poured into trying to make that poor franchise go would have developed a third world economy. Please, as a mercy to all of us ... just stop it.

Apparently Elliot Friedman said on his pod that he thinks Houston, Salt Lake City, Kansas City and Sacramento would be the short list should the league pursue an effort to relocate the Coyotes. All except KC have NBA arenas, and KC has a pro franchise-ready arena in the T-Mobile Center. Obviously he's leaning on the importance of the franchise staying in the West and landing in a proven sports market, but I'm not seeing the main issue addressed here. Again, ownership is the one thing that the media never seems concerned about as a driving force, but is the single most important factor in long term success.

I do wonder if the league doesn't force Arizona into a more suitable temporary location than Mullett while they take their time on relocation bids. They could hardly do worse, revenue-wise than they're doing in that bandstand. Both letting them lame duck their way through another season in the desert and trying to cobble together a permanent move on the fly smack of short term thinking that will serve to prolong the league's real problem ... which is that having one obviously failing franchise is bad for everybody else's business too. Park the Coyotes somewhere they can put 7500-10000 butts in seats and take as long as you need to figure out a real solution.

The NHL would be nuts to move them to the East. They would have to move a team West to balance out the conferences. Sorry Atlanta, not gonna happen until they expand again.

There's a decent sized rabbit warren on the edge of my lot and while I hate to do it, I'm gonna have to make sure the rabbits are gone by next spring. I've got too small a dog to have this much wild kingdom action going on in the backyard. Coyotes, foxes, feral cats, regular murder kitties ... it's like a freaking Golden Corral buffet back there.
Rabbits generally don't live long around here because the coyotes are marauders. I hunted a lot in my younger days, so since I took from somewhere, I've always given back somewhere too. I've fed the wildlife at my house for 30 years and there's always something looking to eat by my house. We get deer, foxes, turkeys, coyotes, groundhogs, hawks, owls, herons, wood ducks, chipmunks, even the occasional bear. Thankfully no skunks have shown up, though I see & smell them at the farm often enough.

My wife really likes daylillies, but it turns out that the deer like them even more in a different kind of way. I had to fence in a garden spot with an 8' tall fence (we call plant jail) to keep the deer out. Any plants the deer find tasty have to go live in plant jail for their own survival. I've fed the same family line of deer here every day for a long time. The great, great, great, great, grand daughter from the first wild deer I ever fed by hand visits every day (she turns 11 this year). I'm hoping she has a doe fawn this Spring, because most of her offspring have been bucks & they generally disperse to seek their own territory when they're 1.5 years old (which is why there's so many young bucks run over by vehicles in the Fall). I still get a get bucks that raised here that come around from time to time, but it may only be one out of every 10 return.

Sorry for the tangent. Thought I was in the grab bag thread...oops.

Jim

The NHL would be nuts to move them to the East. They would have to move a team West to balance out the conferences. Sorry Atlanta, not gonna happen until they expand again.
No offense, but that's very simplified thinking. If the ownership group is good enough, and the market is good enough then you figure something out. If the NHL is ever going to actually get better, they HAVE to prioritize better owners. I'm not saying Atlanta/Gwinette's potential ownership group is better than anybody else's, but I am saying the league shouldn't dismiss it out of hand for logistical reasons. Those, you figure out.

They'll need fill 20k seats to pay Austin Matthews!

Lol
More like, because if they keep selling 5K in tickets, the rest of the league has to subsidize them just to get their sorry carcass to the salary cap floor ... which is what's been happening for years even when they were in a grown up arena.

No offense, but that's very simplified thinking. If the ownership group is good enough, and the market is good enough then you figure something out. If the NHL is ever going to actually get better, they HAVE to prioritize better owners. I'm not saying Atlanta/Gwinette's potential ownership group is better than anybody else's, but I am saying the league shouldn't dismiss it out of hand for logistical reasons. Those, you figure out.
I get that Altanta is a strong market, but who loses out in the move to the WC? Detroit is unlikely to want to move back, so what's left, Columbus? Unless you're willing to go unbalanced again with EC17 and WC15. Geography ain't changin. But I guess the Braves were in the NL West, so there's that. LOL

I get that Altanta is a strong market, but who loses out in the move to the WC? Detroit is unlikely to want to move back, so what's left, Columbus? Unless you're willing to go unbalanced again with EC17 and WC15. Geography ain't changin. But I guess the Braves were in the NL West, so there's that. LOL
Along with Cincinnati, while St. Louis and Chicago were in the East.

I mean, the Cowboys have been in the NFC East from the beginning. The Rockets were once in the Eastern Conference in the NBA. Geography doesn't really matter.

Back