• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

The Panthers began life in the NFC West and I believe that the Atlanta Falcons lived in that same division for a very long time

The same reason why Dundon was never moving the Canes is why the Yotes probably won’t move to Houston or KC or anywhere else, absent a franchise sale. All of those arenas already have an entity managing it, whether it’s the Rockets in Houston, AEG in KC or Quebecor in Quebec City. If the Yotes move without being sold, they’re rent payers in whichever existing arena they land in. Dundon, through Gale Force, gets revenue from concerts, the rodeo, every event at the arena. The Yotes owner won’t have access to any ancillary revenue streams.

Last edited:
The same reason why Dundon was never moving the Canes is why the Yotes probably won’t move to Houston or KC or anywhere else, absent a franchise sale. All of those arenas already have an entity managing it, whether it’s the Rockets in Houston, AEG in KC or Quebecor in Quebec City. If the Yotes move without being sold, they’re rent payers in whichever existing arena they land in. Dundon, through Gale Force, gets revenue from concerts, the rodeo, every event at the arena. The Yotes owner won’t have access to any ancillary revenue streams.
Yeah, that's why I only really thought about a potential sale to owners who control a suitable arena. Looks like after additional reading that Houston is not a candidate without a new ownership group, which would mean a new building, which would mean time the Coyotes really don't have. I think all of the reasonable options are premised on Bettman forcing a sale, which given that Meruelo tenure has been comically inept, should be fairly easy. He defaulted his way out of a perfectly good arena lease leaving a wake of lawsuits and unpaid vendors and landed his team in what amounts to a PE gym ... as a secondary tenant. If you can't make a case for mismanagement out of THAT, then I can't help you Gary.

So, maybe another lame duck year at ASU while the NHL orchestrates a sale and move. That gives everybody time to get their proposals in order and gives the NHL time to vet the arena situation and the quality of the financing (for once, please God do this). That puts Salt Lake (apparently the Jazz owner is all in on acquiring the Yotes), and Suburban Atlanta (there are two groups and that would need to be knocked down to a clear, unified bid) on the front foot but would give markets like Houston and KC time to see if they can find interested quality ownership. Also, the NHL shouldn't want to slapdash a Houston deal. They should keep that powder dry for a future round of expansion, IMO. Don't screw up that market like you did Phoenix.

Who’s on the hook for all the debt they’ve run up?
Right now the current owner (and I understand they carry a rather substantial debt) and it would have to be assumed by any new owner because it's all privately financed ... seeing as how Glendale eventually forced them to pay their back taxes and arena fees last year. It would be a small part of any sale agreement since the last time I saw a franchise valuation it was over $400 million. Add $15-20 mil in short term debt ... that's nothing in the grand scheme. At least they are free from any debt for a large arena development scheme. Thanks to the good people of Tempe.

Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM of the Leafs. Cue the Eric Tulsky speculation in ... oh, heck. They've been doing that for days already.
Since Shanahan made the announcement, one assumes he'll be sticking around as President. One also assumes that with Dubas gone, Keefe will likely follow. You guys know where I stand on that. I respect Dubas but think Keefe was way over is head and never grew into the job in any meaningful way. I also do not care if the Leafs get better or not, so ... carry on.

Last edited:
Following Shanny’s press conference on Twitter. What a disaster. He said they were working on an extension but he changed his mind after Dubas’ end of season presser. Then he said that Dubas wanted to come back but changed the terms. Richard Deitsch from The Athletic already said it was a ready made 30 for 30 episode.

Following Shanny’s press conference on Twitter. What a disaster. He said they were working on an extension but he changed his mind after Dubas’ end of season presser. Then he said that Dubas wanted to come back but changed the terms.
Wait. He said that out loud? In front of the press? Why not just submit your resignation?

A. How is Shanahan still employed?
2. Who in their right mind would be his next GM for anything other than mercenary reasons?
A. Rhetorical question?
2. A guy desperate for his first time in the big boy chair, or an old timer trying to resurrect his career. Probably the latter rather than the former.

Change was inevitable with the Leafs and this overall bunch and this probably is best in the end, minus the fact that they have a ton of big business to take care in the next 5-6 weeks...Matthews extension, what to do with a trade chip like Nylander or Marner, who will coach this team with Dubas gone, etc.

Back