• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Elliotte Friedman says that one of the restrictions on Treliving is that he can’t be at the draft table. Seems stupid if there is no restriction on whether he can be in Toronto’s war room and in contact with the table by phone.
Have you looked at his draft history in Calgary? It's a net plus for the Leafs having him sit this one out.

Darren Dreger says that speculation around the Memorial Cup is that Mike Babcock will be named coach of the Blue Jackets but they’re waiting until his Maple Leafs contract expires at the end of the month.

Sure. For that franchise, Babs makes perfect sense. He sucks and so does the McConnell family. Perfect fit. Go hire Peters as an assistant, while you're on the rehabbing horrible people's reputation tour. Maybe Mr See No Evil Quenneville can be their President.

Sure. For that franchise, Babs makes perfect sense. He sucks and so does the McConnell family. Perfect fit. Go hire Peters as an assistant, while you're on the rehabbing horrible people's reputation tour. Maybe Mr See No Evil Quenneville can be their President.
Kinetico Bill worked for him for 3 years in Detroit, so he learned from the best.

Commodore calls Babs “shitstain” on Twitter and it’s not just Commie being Commie.

Knights take the first game 5-2. All that beef on vegas made it a lot harder for the kitties to pull some of their thuggery on. Hmm

Exactly. Vegas is a much heavier team and a whole different opponent compared to the Canes.

Do you get triggered by the banner? I would have loved for the Canes to be part of that pre game battle.

Knights take the first game 5-2. All that beef on vegas made it a lot harder for the kitties to pull some of their thuggery on. Hmm
How does Sam Bennett hold a stick being that greasy…God that guy needs to have karma come calling for him. Loved watching the Panthers have their own fecal matter stuff rubbed right in their own faces…especially Tkachuk.

Yeah ... my playoff hangover isn't done yet. I watched a little bit of game one and when I felt myself starting to want Florida to win, I got immediately uncomfortable. We watched a movie instead.

Habs sign Cole Caufield, 8 years/$62 million, a $7.85 million AAV.
So roughly the Svech contract that he signed 2 summers ago coming out of the ELC, though more in signing bonus ($5M this year, $5M next vs. Svech $4M the first year) and more front-loaded than Svech's as well:

(total bonus+salary by year, rounded to $M)
Svech 6-7-9-9-10-7-6-8
Caufield 10-10-10-9-6-6-6-6

(they had to get it done before the inevitable Canes offer sheet :LOL:)

The structuring of Svech's salaries that way was mostly due the escrows negotiated coming out of Covid. For the first 2 seasons of Svech's deal the maximum escrow amounts as agreed to by the NHL and NHLPA per their MOU that extended the CBA were higher than normal as the players had more of their salaries withheld to payback the overages from the Covid impacted seasons.

Those baseline maximum escrow percentages for Svech's contract were 14% in year 1 and 10% in year 2. They are 6% for the next 3 seasons. At the time Svech signed that deal, most players/agents intentionally were negotiating lower salaries in the seasons where the Covid related larger escrows were in play. Those high escrows and large balances due to the NHL guarenteed that the player would keep less of their salaries those years than normal.

Jordan Martinook's contract shows the same setup over those same first 2 years ($900k, $1.8 million, $2.7 million). Dougie Hamilton's deal also shows that desire to avoid losing larger percentages of salary to escrow in 21-22, and 22-23 ($6.3 million, $6.3, $12.6, $12.6, $11.55, $8.4, $5.25). I'm sure there are plenty more examples of that temporary switch in thinking where players wanted lower salaries upfront. I think Dougie's deal is the best example of it.

All about making sure the players keep more of their salary. Now that we are back to smaller escrows, most sizable player deals that start next season will return to the players wanting as much of their money upfront as possible.

The Ducks hired Greg Cronin as their new head coach. He spent the last 5 years as head coach of AHL Colorado and has 11 years as an NHL assistant for the Leafs and Islanders. He was also head coach at AHL Bridgeport for 2 years and has 17 years of college coaching experience as an assistant and head coach at Colby, Colorado College, Maine and Northeastern.

I figured Cronin would get an NHL gig eventually. Should be a good fit for the young Ducks as they try to remember how to actually play hockey after whatever the heck they were doing last season under that muppet Eakins.

Back