• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Canes practiced today, Andersen had the day off, Turbo was still in a yellow sweater. No practice tomorrow, back at it on Monday, which leads me to believe they’ve been told they’re not starting Monday or maybe not even Tuesday. Panthers have an arena conflict on Saturday, so I’m guessing Wednesday/Friday here, Sunday/Tuesday in Sunrise.
The Finals are slated to start June 3rd, so assuming the league wants to allow enough time for potential seven-game series without back-to-backs and at least a day between a conference final game 7 and game 1 of the Finals, they'll need to get the later of the conference finals (presumably the Western) started by Saturday. With that in mind, I wouldn't be shocked if our series starts with Friday and Sunday games this week.

The Finals are slated to start June 3rd, so assuming the league wants to allow enough time for potential seven-game series without back-to-backs and at least a day between a conference final game 7 and game 1 of the Finals, they'll need to get the later of the conference finals (presumably the Western) started by Saturday. With that in mind, I wouldn't be shocked if our series starts with Friday and Sunday games this week.
Well that would be awesome, because I’m out of town Tuesday-Friday, so I’d get at least 1 game.

I'm sure there are various options that rhe league has mapped out already depending on who wins the West series. Holding the ECF until Friday night would be a pretty extreme schedule, that leaves the Canes with over a week between games and Florida a full week. That is too long. You want any extra days to be in between the conference finals and the SCF for media days and hype time.

I'm sure there are various options that rhe league has mapped out already depending on who wins the West series. Holding the ECF until Friday night would be a pretty extreme schedule, that leaves the Canes with over a week between games and Florida a full week. That is too long. You want any extra days to be in between the conference finals and the SCF for media days and hype time.
Last year the conference finals started the day after the 2d round ended. Then there was like a month and a half break before the final. If past is prologue then the ECF won’t wait til Friday most likely. Tuesday would be too soon. So realistically it’s Wednesday or Thursday.

Bobrovsky is at 9 goals saved above expected. For those of you that don't follow the nerdy stats that's just off the chart standing on your head.

You boys taking the Cats lightly like their previous two opponents?
No. It’s not in Brind’Amour’s DNA.
Bobrovsky is at 9 goals saved above expected. For those of you that don't follow the nerdy stats that's just off the chart standing on your head.
The question to me is if he can sustain it or if he reverts to his regular season form from the last 3 years. He didn’t win 2 Vezinas by accident but the most recent was 6 years ago.

No. It’s not in Brind’Amour’s DNA.

The question to me is if he can sustain it or if he reverts to his regular season form from the last 3 years. He didn’t win 2 Vezinas by accident but the most recent was 6 years ago.
That's been everyone's question but people forget he sat behind Lyon for the last 5-6 weeks of the season. He is rested and doesn't want to sit again.

Same question can be asked about Andersen btw.

That's been everyone's question but people forget he sat behind Lyon for the last 5-6 weeks of the season. He is rested and doesn't want to sit again.

Same question can be asked about Andersen btw.
Bob sat for a little less than a month, his last regular season game was March 27, he relieved Lyon on April 21 and started every game after.

Absolutely the question can be asked of Andersen and Raanta. The only difference is that their regular season success is more recent than Bob’s. But neither of them have a history of playoff success.

Bob sat for a little less than a month, his last regular season game was March 27, he relieved Lyon on April 21 and started every game after.

Absolutely the question can be asked of Andersen and Raanta. The only difference is that their regular season success is more recent than Bob’s. But neither of them have a history of playoff success.
Bob was sitting already half the time before Lyon took it.

I don't point to regular season success. Means nothing in the playoffs as the game literally changes, especially officiating.

I don't point to regular season success. Means nothing in the playoffs as the game literally changes, especially officiating.
I mean, yeah ... but with goaltenders it's pretty doggone rare to see somebody who has scuffled as comprehensively as Bob has over the last four years suddenly find his game in the playoffs. Especially one without a history of doing so. Bob had one decent playoff showing in his whole freaking career before now. It's not like he's Carey Price or somebody with a pretty good track record of doing this. What he's doing is legit surprising, trending towards shocking.

You boys taking the Cats lightly like their previous two opponents?
Definitely. And the day before the first game one of the Canes will say something completely disrespectful about the Panthers. I’m sure the social media team is drafting something as we speak. Then it will leak out the Canes cancelled their video coaching session in favor of a discussion about whether to touch the Prince of Wales Trophy.

The beauty of the way the Canes play is that it's basically the same game no matter who we are playing. Get on the forecheck, give no one any time or space, be opportunistic on offense.

Panthers just dispatched 2 of the top teams in the league, pretty hard to take them lightly.

I mean, yeah ... but with goaltenders it's pretty doggone rare to see somebody who has scuffled as comprehensively as Bob has over the last four years suddenly find his game in the playoffs. Especially one without a history of doing so. Bob had one decent playoff showing in his whole freaking career before now. It's not like he's Carey Price or somebody with a pretty good track record of doing this. What he's doing is legit surprising, trending towards shocking.
OTOH, Andersen’s playoff history is pretty solid. Except for his first year in the playoffs with Anaheim and one of the three years in TO his numbers are very good. The question with is more of durability.

Another upside for Carolina is that the roster and schemes are set up to beat and/or compete with Boston and Tampa. Neither of them play that dissimilar to Florida under Mo. Take the body as a priority on a heavy forecheck, reliance on generating offense on the rush, loads of traffic in front, a bit of goony gamesmanship. Yeah, the Canes know that drill.

OTOH, Andersen’s playoff history is pretty solid. Except for his first year in the playoffs with Anaheim and one of the three years in TO his numbers are very good. The question with is more of durability.
Yeah, and one thing in Carolina's side of the ledger is that the Canes have zero reason to be concerned if they have to go to the backup now that Raanta's healthy again. Lyon is a quality No. 3, but nothing more. We know that from first hand experience.

Florida Panthers fans seem to be willing to take the Canes lightly. Seems like there are plenty of conversations about the Canes being just a formality to be easily dispatched on the way to the Cup. Too bad their team won't think the same thing.

Back