• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

The DFW Airport bar I’m sitting in has NHL Network on and Jackie Redmond is live at PNC. The towels are already on the seats. Those poor interns…
Not just the interns...I spoke with my ticket rep this afternoon, just after she came back from helping put the towels down.

The DFW Airport bar I’m sitting in has NHL Network on and Jackie Redmond is live at PNC. The towels are already on the seats. Those poor interns…
I got to my seats in 113 about 15 minutes before puck drop last night and some tool had already stolen my 2 towels. Thanks Ahole. I hope having four 50 cent towels improves your life more than not having two impacts mine. Anyway, Maybe I’ll slide by tonight and see if I can pick my G2 towels up early. Err. Probably not.

Really interesting interview with Aaron Ward covering some RBA stuff...worth a listen. Rutherford, meet the underside of the bus -- with him there used to be "The right way, the wrong way, and the Canes way"... Ouch.

Last edited:
He references 7 players leaving in the space of an hour. As far as I can tell, it was only 5 roster players on March 3, Harrison Reed was playing in Albany. But 7 NHL players were traded in the space of a month for dreck.

2/7 - Niclas Wallin and a 2010 5th rounder to San Jose for a 2010 2nd rounder (Mark Alt, who was traded to the Flyers in 2013 with Brian Boucher for Luke Pither)
2/12 - Matt Cullen to Ottawa for Alexandre Picard and a 2010 2nd rounder (traded to the Oilers for Riley Nash)
3/3 - Joe Corvo to Washington for Brian Pothier, Oskar Osala and a 2011 2nd rounder (traded to the Rangers with a 2010 6th rounder for Bobby Sanguinetti)
3/3 - Aaron Ward to Anaheim for Justin Pogge and a 2010 4th rounder (Justin Shugg)
3/3 - Andrew Alberts to Vancouver for a 2010 3rd rounder (Austin Levi)
3/3 - Stephane Yelle and Harrison Reed to Colorado for Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll and a 2010 6th rounder (Tyler Stahl, never signed)
3/3 - Scott Walker to Washington for a 2010 7th rounder (traded to the Flyers for Jon Matsumoto)

The Canes got a total of 3 NHL games from Justin Shugg from the picks acquired in these trades, although 3 of the picks indirectly became Nash, Sanguinetti and Matsumoto. Matsumoto was also traded for the one that got away, sent to the Panthers with Mattias Lindstrom for AJ Jenks and…Evgeny Dadanov. The players acquired? The less said about them the better. Pothier played 20 games and Osala played 1. None of the others ever played for the Canes.

Yeah ... it was time for a roster housecleaning, but you'd generally like to see more value in return. It's not like sitting pat would have done anyone any good. Corvo only looked cooked but both Wallin and Walker were cooked to the point of being overdone. Yelle never wanted to be here and Alberts was pretty awful. Cullen and Ward were the ones that still had gas in the tank, but Jimmy was looking for a leadership change.

That whole period gets dumped in Rutherford's lap, but by then his front office staff was down to a skeleton crew because Karmanos had run out of money. He'd have been better off straight up tanking, but that puts even more pressure on a scouting staff that really didn't exist.

LeBrun says he believes that Tulsky is among the people getting a 2nd interview with the Pens.

LeBrun says he believes that Tulsky is among the people getting a 2nd interview with the Pens.

Apparently news has leaked out of Pittsburgh that they will be contacting Dubas' representatives to try to get him engaged.

And for the record, the Pittsburgh job is the one I'd be concerned about Tulsky taking. John Henry's people have a deep appreciation for analytics based management.

LeBrun says that Tulsky has been told he‘s out of the running in Pittsburgh. Bergevin and Chiarelli were also eliminated.

LeBrun says that Tulsky has been told he‘s out of the running in Pittsburgh. Bergevin and Chiarelli were also eliminated.
Interesting ... kind of. Not sure at all that Tulsky is seriously pursuing any of these openings, and if that's the case then generally the team isn't going to go but so far in the process before they figure that out. Tulsky has talked several times in the past about using the interview process as a way to learn about how other teams view their own process. While that's a common practice the academic and tech fields, it's less mainstream in sports where there's more "code" BS.

Also, I'd think Dubas is their guy in Pittsburgh unless he's not ready to get back on the horse right away.

Maybe this will help this morning. It’s Jaccob Slavin talking about him and his wife adopting Emmersyn.

He has not, and you have to wonder has any NHL player ever come back from back to back Achilles tears to play again? No precedent for that.
I’d be shocked if he comes back. And I’d be more shocked if we paid him anything more than a small amount to try it.

FWIW, the salary value people generally rate Pacthes at around $1.5 million for a short term "see if you're healthy" deal. That's right out of Carolina's playbook IF he's planning to play next season. I would think that could be an option as a secondary scoring option, with the Canes also chasing somebody else more likely to see first line action. It's not like they have any real scoring help in the minors. Ponomarov and Rees are the most likely options to join Drury in chasing roster spots. None of them are lamp lighters.

FWIW, the salary value people generally rate Pacthes at around $1.5 million for a short term "see if you're healthy" deal. That's right out of Carolina's playbook IF he's planning to play next season. I would think that could be an option as a secondary scoring option, with the Canes also chasing somebody else more likely to see first line action. It's not like they have any real scoring help in the minors. Ponomarov and Rees are the most likely options to join Drury in chasing roster spots. None of them are lamp lighters.
He doesn’t turn 35 until November, so he doesn’t qualify for a 35+ contract that can be incentive-laden. So somewhere between $1-1.5 million should work ok if he wants to come back.

He doesn’t turn 35 until November, so he doesn’t qualify for a 35+ contract that can be incentive-laden. So somewhere between $1-1.5 million should work ok if he wants to come back.
Just curious, let’s say he’s not even ready to play till November and wants to remain a Cane…can he hold off on signing a contract till he turns 35 and then sign that incentive laden deal or is that a no no?

Back