• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Very hard to find a true sniper who is defensively responsible as JB noted.

Pacioretty is attentive to both ends of the ice, and he is a goal scorer, but he is as 30 goal guy. That is a big deal on the Canes I suppose, but there were 23 NHL players who scored 39 or more goals in the NHL this past season. Adding a 30 goal guy to the roster would be helpful for the Canes, but as goal scoring continues to increase, the reality is '40 is the new 30 in terms of goal scoring'. Aho would be a 40 goal guy if he could finish on more breakaways. Maybe Svech becomes a 40 goal guy?

DeBrincat's goal scoring fell off last season but he posted a higher assist number than any other season. His shooting % was substantially below his average so that just might have been an anomaly.

His -31 last season, whether you like +/- or not, is alarming to me. He also is darn small, which seems to be the opposite of what the Canes are thinking they need to look to improve on.

Trying to add goal scoring with some defensive acumen is not going to be easy. I've already read a bunch of nonsense about the Canes trading all kind of assets for Mitch Marner, as if trading away multiple goal scorers for a Marner somehow solves anything for the Canes. I'm ok with the Canes pulling the trigger on a big deal, but as good as Mitch Marner is, he doesn't fill the toughness/size or goal scoring hole, especially if you consider his playoff history.

The Canes have a lot of cap space to play with next season, which puts them in an interesting position relative to many other of this year's playoff teams. We might 'roll it back' and bring back Freddie and Fast and Staal, but there is a lot of additional cap space available after those 3 are signed (maybe like $16 million worth).

Let's assume we do resign Freddie, Staal and Fast for $10 million total. Without trades, we would be sitting with:

Aho, Turbo, Svech, KK, Necas, Martinook, Drury, Jarvis, Noesen, Fast, Staal. That is 11 forwards
Slavin, Burns, Skjei, Pesce, Chatfield. 5 Dmen
Freddie, Kochetkov. 2 goalies

We would have around $17 million in cap space to cover a couple of forwards and 2 6/7 Dmen. Even more space potentially if Turbo is traded.

Another interesting offseason is in the offing for sure.

I know Vancouver has cap issues, but not sure we want anything they're willing to sell. Anyone else seem like an obvious trade target team or player?

I know Vancouver has cap issues, but not sure we want anything they're willing to sell. Anyone else seem like an obvious trade target team or player?
They're gonna be looking to dump payroll this summer and will need to carve some space for a Pettersson extension if they can ... so Boeser, Garland and Ekman-Larsson would absolutely be available. After last season, they might be willing to listen on Demko as well. Does any of that help Carolina? I mean, Boeser wouldn't move the scoring needle much and is erratic, but he'd fit the system. Everybody else, meh or worse. We won't even mention Miller and his boat anchor contract.

I don't think you nessesarily need to get a 40-50 goal scorer. Getting a decent scorer with some size up front will free up our smaller player to do their thing to a higher extent. Vancouver, like you say, are having cap issues and I hear a guy like Brock Boeser migh be available. There must be some guys like that to trade for.

DeBrincat's goal scoring fell off last season but he posted a higher assist number than any other season. His shooting % was substantially below his average so that just might have been an anomaly.

His -31 last season, whether you like +/- or not, is alarming to me. He also is darn small, which seems to be the opposite of what the Canes are thinking they need to look to improve on.
DeBrincat finally started to get going in the second half. Remember, it's a big adjustment going from playing 20+ minutes doing basically whatever you want out there to ... pretty much anything. He and Kane were basically in permanent cherry picking mode in Chicago for the last 2-3 years, after all. And even in a down year, he still sniffed 30 goals. Brindy could figure that out, I think. The thing is ... what on earth is Ottawa's reason to move the guy? They have to pay SOMEBODY and have no real cap issues. Plus, he's fun to watch and they have tickets to sell. I mean, he's going to be tough to sign long term, but unless he's saying 8 years or trade me then why the heck would they move him?

There will be no rational discussions about trades and why any team would move a player JB. That is forbidden. :LOL:

Clearly it's in the Canes best interest to ship Necas, Jarvis, Pesce and a 1st round pick to Toronto for Mitch Marner. I read so on the web last week (substitute Svech in for one of those players if necessary).

It's going to be a long offseason of crazy rumors. We will see if the Canes actually pull off one of these big trades and not end up just a shunned dance partner for the Tkuchuk's or Eichel's of the league again.

Last edited:
I never underestimate the Canes anymore when it comes to some creative ways to find a high end player via trade. Both the Burns and Patches moves were bold out of left field transactions that were made under the radar that no one saw coming so I wouldn’t be shocked if they tried that route again with a team up against the cap. I think a team like the Jets will be active this summer with some of their high end guys, that is one example of a team the Canes may kick the tires on for someone like Schiefele.

I never underestimate the Canes anymore when it comes to some creative ways to find a high end player via trade. Both the Burns and Patches moves were bold out of left field transactions that were made under the radar that no one saw coming so I wouldn’t be shocked if they tried that route again with a team up against the cap. I think a team like the Jets will be active this summer with some of their high end guys, that is one example of a team the Canes may kick the tires on for someone like Schiefele.
Scheifele is one I would inquire about aswell.

I see a lot of people tossing around Carolina's first round pick as trade fodder for a winger, but I honestly don't see them in that market this year. Two reasons ...

First, this draft is stacked and even picking near the bottom of the first round is likely to yield what would be mid-1st round talent in an average draft year. Carolina has been big on taking a high risk/high reward guy in that kind of scenario and this draft absolutely scratches that itch. Secondly, with the flat cap and so many teams already sitting in cap jail there's going to be a ton of pressure to cut cap hit this summer ... especially for teams looking to change their mix, which is a good chunk of that list. The ground is very much prepped for lots of movement and wingers are generally easier to pry loose than centers and high end D. The Canes may also go fishing for difficult to extend RFAs, because there's a fair number of them this summer as well.

I just think there's a lot of avenues to getting what they need that don't involve throwing away that pick ... especially in a year when a low first rounder has elevated value.

For readers of The Athletic ... Cory Lavalette sort of casually confirmed that Jack Drury did in fact request a trade last year in his article speculating about players likely to be on the move or dangled as trade bait. I only bring this up since a lot of you seem to be assuming he'll be a part of the roster next year. Maybe so, but if he thinks he's going to be on the train between the AHL and NHL again, he's gonna ask to be moved again. And probably will be taken up on the offer, given how this franchise feels about that sort of thing.

I’d think you’d either plan to keep him up on the NHL team or you’d probably trade him anyway. He has value at this level but if it’s not enough to stick with the Canes then he’d be an obvious addition to a trade package either for future prospects/picks or for someone the mgt thinks better fills a need.

That said I don’t blame him for feeling like he’s ready to play at the NHL level.

Yeah, Corey compares him to Nic Roy and I think that's apt. You could maybe also include Luostarinen in that comparison. A guy who could probably handle a 3rd line role on a rebuilding NHL squad but who can't quite find a spot on the Canes roster. Both Roy and Louie went on to solid careers on good teams, but were flipped by the Canes at pretty much the same stage where Drury finds himself. It just depends on how things all out this summer.

Yep. I could see it going either way. Depends on other moves that are more impactful -if he ends up with a roster slot OR if someone else wants him and moving him allows us to fill a hole. I don’t see him back in the minors though.

Drury to me does not move the needle enough to be that missed. If he is part of a package to get what they really need up front so be it.

Drury to me does not move the needle enough to be that missed. If he is part of a package to get what they really need up front so be it.
I always looked at him as Staal’s eventual replacement. But I see KK in that role now, if a real 2C can be found. So by default, he ends up as a bottom 6 wing or 4C. If he has value, move him.

Yeah, that's one reason the flash of outrage the other day caught me off guard ... and then I remembered that most of it was coming from Twitter. And Canes Twitter has fallen in love with some real duds over the years. Drury was one of their anointed "future stars" so they felt betrayed by his perceived lack of loyalty. So, whatever. It's all fiction aside from the part where a 22-23 year old is looking for NHL ice time.

Lots of chatter by pundits out there about how things will play out with 2024 pending UFAs.

In addition to dealing with our 2023 UFAs (the goaltending, Fast, Staal, Stepan, Stastny, Pacioretty, Ghost) and either signing them or finding replacements, the situation with our 2024 UFAs could also dominate THIS offseason. Are the Canes really willing to extend all of Aho, Pesce, and Skjei? What about Chatfield or Noesen? Is Teravainen a definite goner this offseason?

Waddell and crew have their hands full. If you put any faith in the various pundits, there is a real possibility that we might not agree on a contract extension for Pesce or Skjei (or both). If that happens, what will the Canes look to do? Just play it out with them and take our chances? Will they try to swing a trade and move either or both of Pesce and Skjei? What exactly is a fair number and term for these guys? You KNOW the Canes number will be less than what several other teams will be willing to offer.

I know we say it every offseason, especially since Dundon bought the franchise, but THIS offseason is going to potentially bring all kinds of intrigue and debate and action. I think the only thing I'm really confident about right now is that Aho will get his 8 years $76 million deal done quickly AND Jordan Staal will re-sign (no idea the terms). That leaves a whole pile of business that needs to be done that I could see going in all kinds of different directions.

Well, Waddell and Dundon made it plain in their season ending interviews that extensions for Aho, Skjei and Pesce were an off season priority for the club. So, the willingness seems to be there. Now, as always, that willingness always hits a limit when it starts to get to their internal player valuations. I seriously doubt that Carolina abandons their general philosophy on not over-paying their valuations, even for core players. Sounded to me like the Canes had done enough work on Aho that they knew they were close. Nobody made anything other than preliminary noises about the other two, and I saw somewhere that Pesce had hired a new agent. That's sometimes a signal of intent to run at negotiations it a bit harder, and sometimes not ... so I'm not going to read anything into that. As always, we'll see. But the Canes are wise to hash those issues out now when they have a year to make a move rather than getting stuck losing guys at the end of the contracts when they have no trade value.

I see Chatfield and Noesen as support elements so the urgency isn't the same. Martinook too, mostly because of age. He's entering the last year of his deal at age 30 and God knows what he'll have left in the tank next summer. Turbo is the tricky one, I think. It's probably wise to give it some time and see if 22-23 was a one year blip or the start of a trend with him. If he's serious about sticking around then I'd look for him to be more serious about off season conditioning and to come to camp ready to rock. If Turbo shows up in September soft and sleepy looking to play himself into shape like he normally does, he could become a trade piece pretty quickly.

I'm with you on the timing. I'd anticipate Staal's deal getting done pretty soon and Aho getting his extension inked early next month. Everything else? We'll see. If I had to guess, Pesce's the one I'd be anticipating to be an issue.

Lots of chatter by pundits out there about how things will play out with 2024 pending UFAs.

In addition to dealing with our 2023 UFAs (the goaltending, Fast, Staal, Stepan, Stastny, Pacioretty, Ghost) and either signing them or finding replacements, the situation with our 2024 UFAs could also dominate THIS offseason. Are the Canes really willing to extend all of Aho, Pesce, and Skjei? What about Chatfield or Noesen? Is Teravainen a definite goner this offseason?

Waddell and crew have their hands full. If you put any faith in the various pundits, there is a real possibility that we might not agree on a contract extension for Pesce or Skjei (or both). If that happens, what will the Canes look to do? Just play it out with them and take our chances? Will they try to swing a trade and move either or both of Pesce and Skjei? What exactly is a fair number and term for these guys? You KNOW the Canes number will be less than what several other teams will be willing to offer.

I know we say it every offseason, especially since Dundon bought the franchise, but THIS offseason is going to potentially bring all kinds of intrigue and debate and action. I think the only thing I'm really confident about right now is that Aho will get his 8 years $76 million deal done quickly AND Jordan Staal will re-sign (no idea the terms). That leaves a whole pile of business that needs to be done that I could see going in all kinds of different directions.
I noticed too like JB mentioned that Pesce recently switched agents and is now with Auston Matthews agent Judd Moldaver...changing agents is usually a sign that a player is hoping for an upgrade in his new contract ahead! If I had to wager a guess...I would put Pesce ahead of Skjei as the D to get moved this summer. Skjei and his offensive ability seems to have more value from a Canes perspective, and that is not taking anything away from Pesce.

I agree with CMal that an Aho extension and a J. Staal one or two year term at a lower rate is the most pressing right now with the decision on goaltending right up there too on what to do with one of Freddy or Raanta or someone new with Koochie backing up.

I think the Canes have one or two big trades ahead this summer and that is going shape what the payroll and cap looks like moving forward for everyone else. If they decided to bring in a couple of big number forwards that is going to reshape what might be available for new contracts for the UFA guys one year away from their paydays depending on who might go the other way via trade.

I'm figuring Pesce and his new agent are looking around the league and thinking he is worth at least 5 or 6 years at $6 million AAV.

They won't be wrong, that is probably a 'fair' contract for Pesce given his experience/age and comparable deals others have signed.

Jonas Brodin comes to mind as a comparable for Pesce if you are just playing this 'this contract indicates the market' game. He signed for 7 years $42 million a couple of seasons ago. Statswise he is basically Brett Pesce. Pesce is actually a bit better offensively.

If Pesce is $6 million per, then Skjei is $6.5 million per. The Canes are not likely going to pay their 2nd pair a combined over $12 million per. Something has to give. It doubt it will be Pesce or Skjei doing the giving. Slavin is, what, $8 million per now when his deal is up? Slavin is actually a tough guy to put a value on because he is so elite defensively, but doesn't have the offensive numbers like the blueliners who get paid.

Pesce can say "This is home" all he wants. Unless he makes clear to his agent that his top priority is staying with the Canes (if that really is his top priority), he better get in that new agent's ear very early and very clearly. Canes are not going to cave.

Back