• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Randi Griffin was one of our girls. She was in learn to play and later played on the boys travel, might have been team Pepsi but not sure.
she scored the first goal for the women’s Korean olympic team In 2018.

Randi Griffin was one of our girls. She was in learn to play and later played on the boys travel, might have been team Pepsi but not sure.
she scored the first goal for the women’s Korean olympic team In 2018.
She was on Team Pepsi. By the time the Junior Hurricanes came, she was at Harvard. She has a Wikipedia page. He sister (Kelly?) would have been the right age, but she was in prep school. She did play with the Junior Hurricanes in a postseason tournament though, I had to beg the tournament organizer to let her play, we had too many injuries to field a team.

Pierre LeBrun says the Canes may return the same 3 goalies next year, after hearing from Raanta’s and Freddie’s agents. Andersen’s agent is Clod Lemieux and he told LeBrun by text that they’re in negotiations.

In non-Canes goalie news, Ned’s agent said expects a robust market for a “potential bounce-back candidate”. He’s gonna need more bounce back than the Super Ball I had as a kid.

I'm perfectly OK with bringing back both Freddie and Raanta if the price is right. I would prefer to not have our cap hit exceed the $6.5 million Freddie and Raanta had. Unfortunately we also would have a cap hit with Kochetkov buried in the minors.

I'm perfectly OK with bringing back both Freddie and Raanta if the price is right. I would prefer to not have our cap hit exceed the $6.5 million Freddie and Raanta had. Unfortunately we also would have a cap hit with Kochetkov buried in the minors.
The buried penalty for Kochetkov would be $850k.

In non-Canes goalie news, Ned’s agent said expects a robust market for a “potential bounce-back candidate”. He’s gonna need more bounce back than the Super Ball I had as a kid.
If Ned still has the same agent then that guy continues to amaze me with the sheer volume of barely justified faith he has in his client.

Same ... although up until the playoffs, I would have preferred to move on from Freddie. He redeemed himself, but I do NOT trust him to stay healthy and focused. I'd get him on a one year deal if at all possible.

Shayna Goldman at The Athletic says that Brock Boeser is still available from the Canucks, even after OEL’s buyout. He has 2 years left at $6.65 million. She lists 6 teams that could and should be interested. She notes that he has drawbacks in his game but a change of scenery might help. The Canes are 1 of the 6 teams listed. She says he’s not a perfect fit for the team’s identity but that’s not a bad thing because the team needs a finisher. That assumes he can rebound to previous levels. I’m not sure calling him a finisher is accurate either, he’s never been a 30 goal scorer, his high is 29, in a year where his shooting % was 16.2%. For his career, he’s at 12.7%, which puts him below Aho but better than Necas and Svech.

I'm a definite no on Brock Boeser. To me he is Jeff Skinner light, all the flaws with even less goals and more injuries. No thank you.

The Canes as currently constructed could accommodate a winger who doesn't really fit the team defensive ethic, but only so long as he's reliable finisher. Boeser is a lot of things, but reliable ain't one of them. He spent most of the season playing on Pettersson's wing and while Pettersson was busy having a massive season, Boeser was bonking along with 55 total points. You'd think he'd accidentally get more than 40 assists playing on a power play unit and a line with a guy with over 100 points, but ... nope. Hard pass.

I'm a definite no on Brock Boeser. To me he is Jeff Skinner light, all the flaws with even less goals and more injuries. No thank you.
I would rather have the Canes overspend on a UFA like Barbashev that can bang and crash and still score goals then be saddled with an inconsistent winger like Boeser. I know the Canes real number one need is a bonafide 40 goal guy up front, but next in line after that is a hard nosed SOB on the wing that can hit and provide some decent offense too...so my preference is someone cut from the same cloth as Barbashev, Jake DeBrusk or Lawson Crouse.

If he thinks he's getting $6M or long term, he is incorrect.
I'd love him back on a 2 year deal for 3rd line money, but we got bigger issues than 3C.

If Staal's expectation is anything more than $4 million on a 1 year deal or $3.5 million AAV on a 2 year deal then he is right in line with what players normally do, chase the maximum money.

That is 100% absolutely his right to do, but if he is really going to walk over a couple of million after arguably stealing a good portion of $60 million from the Canes over the last 10 years that is pretty crappy Mr. Captain.

Could all be posturing of course to try to squeeze the Canes for every last dollar. And the Canes might be only offering $3 million on a one year deal so who really knows. Could also just be the agent doing agent things too, in which case Jordan needs to make sure his agent is really doing what he wants him to do and not just what agents do.

A reminder again for all players and their agents who supposedly want to stay with the Canes. The Canes don't play around and are valuing you on what they expect you to contribute. You better get your agent in check if you really want to stay or you are likely going to find yourself elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back