• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

If Staal's expectation is anything more than $4 million on a 1 year deal or $3.5 million AAV on a 2 year deal then he is right in line with what players normally do, chase the maximum money.

That is 100% absolutely his right to do, but if he is really going to walk over a couple of million after arguably stealing a good portion of $60 million from the Canes over the last 10 years that is pretty crappy Mr. Captain.

Could all be posturing of course to try to squeeze the Canes for every last dollar. And the Canes might be only offering $3 million on a one year deal so who really knows. Could also just be the agent doing agent things too, in which case Jordan needs to make sure his agent is really doing what he wants him to do and not just what agents do.
I agree, the bigger picture is the $60 million over the last 10 years...and some of those earlier years that $6 million per was very generous for a checking line center with 38-40 points. He's a max $3 to $4 million guy now with a year or two left to play an effective role.

I would expect that any distance between Staal and the Canes would almost certainly be about term. You just know there's some other idiot team out there that would give him 3 or 4 years.

I agree, the bigger picture is the $60 million over the last 10 years...and some of those earlier years that $6 million per was very generous for a checking line center with 38-40 points. He's a max $3 to $4 million guy now with a year or two left to play an effective role.
2 years/$6 million, max. Otherwise it’s sayonara, join your brothers in Florida.

I would expect that any distance between Staal and the Canes would almost certainly be about term. You just know there's some other idiot team out there that would give him 3 or 4 years.
I agree, Canes likely envisioned a one year deal for no more than $3 to $3.5 million for Staal with the future long term deals looming large on the horizon for Aho, Slavin Necas etc...

Worth noting ... if they can't get Staal done, it probably opens up that 2nd line center slot as they'll likely look to shift Kotkaniemi to Staal's role. There are some interesting centers in the trade winds and KK would produce more offense in that role than Staal did the last couple of years ... just sayin' ... it might not be the end of the world.

Worth noting ... if they can't get Staal done, it probably opens up that 2nd line center slot as they'll likely look to shift Kotkaniemi to Staal's role. There are some interesting centers in the trade winds and KK would produce more offense in that role than Staal did the last couple of years ... just sayin' ... it might not be the end of the world.
Kevin Hayes?

The Canes haven’t released the pre-season game schedule yet, but we’re home for Tampa on 9/26 and at Tampa on 9/29.

Dreger says that Staal’s team has given the Canes a list of teams he’d accept a trade to. That’s a better option than letting him walk for free if he asks for the Earth, moon and stars; trade him, even if it’s for a low round pick.

I will say again to Jordan Staal, if you REALLY want to finish out your career in Carolina, and that is important to you, you had better get your agent in line because if he is posturing to try to get you the maximum dollar from the Canes he is about to get his bluff called and you are going to end up somewhere else.

This is exactly what happened with Nino, and Nino apparently ended up with the same contract he turned down from the Canes and is now stuck in Winnipeg. Canes will simply move on from ANYONE, and carry on just fine.

So, who do we expect is on Staal's list? Tampa, Florida, Dallas, Vegas.... Toronto?

Last edited:
The pre-season schedule is out

9/26 - Tampa
9/27 - Florida
TBD at Florida
9/29 - at Tampa
10/5 - at Nashville
10/6 - Nashville

All the home games are scheduled for 7 pm. None of them are on a Saturday, so no freebie as part of the Caniac Carnival.

I really wish we could schedule some other teams in pre season.
IIRC, we had the Slugs once. At least it’s teams that aren’t in our division. And the geography lends itself to taking the morning skate at home and flying in on game day.

FWIW, the Bolts are playing the Panthers and Preds too.

I will say again to Jordan Staal, if you REALLY want to finish out your career in Carolina, and that is important to you, you had better get your agent in line because if he is posturing to try to get you the maximum dollar from the Canes he is about to get his bluff called and you are going to end up somewhere else.

This is exactly what happened with Nino, and Nino apparently ended up with the same contract he turned down from the Canes and is now stuck in Winnipeg. Canes will simply move on from ANYONE, and carry on just fine.

So, who do we expect is on Staal's list? Tampa, Florida, Dallas, Vegas.... Toronto?
Florida to get the three amigos all together? Seems pricy for Florida to pay $4 million for a checking center when they have one of the best already in Barkov. Tampa seems tight on cap room...Toronto too. The more you look at it, the more sense it makes for the guy to stay right here and finish things out...but I guess an agent is going to agent...

The pre-season schedule is out

9/26 - Tampa
9/27 - Florida
TBD at Florida
9/29 - at Tampa
10/5 - at Nashville
10/6 - Nashville

All the home games are scheduled for 7 pm. None of them are on a Saturday, so no freebie as part of the Caniac Carnival.
One of the home games is free, they only charged STMs for 43 games.

This one is a little off the beaten path. The Professional Hockey Writers Association has awarded the Canes and Edmonton Oilers with the Dick Dillman Award for PR excellence.

IIRC, we had the Slugs once. At least it’s teams that aren’t in our division. And the geography lends itself to taking the morning skate at home and flying in on game day.

FWIW, the Bolts are playing the Panthers and Preds too.
Oh, I get it. It's just boring

Florida to get the three amigos all together? Seems pricy for Florida to pay $4 million for a checking center when they have one of the best already in Barkov. Tampa seems tight on cap room...Toronto too. The more you look at it, the more sense it makes for the guy to stay right here and finish things out...but I guess an agent is going to agent...
I don't know that Florida would be interested in that. They have some cap space, but have a defense to rebuild ... and I'm sure they'd look to improve that group. Eric and Marc are both out of contract and were both on basically veteran minimum deals. Eric did VERY little there, and while Marc was solid in the playoffs his lack of speed proved to be a problem for them. They don't need the PR gimmick nor do they need another checking center. It's a lot more likely that they have no Staals on the roster next season than all three.

Back