• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Jordan has been overpaid so long, he or his agent forgot what he's really worth.
Honestly, it's tough for a lot of older vets who are still contributing to face facts when it's contract time and they're due for a pay cut instead of a raise. I get it. But when you're on a contender with an open window, you don't want to screw around and find out too late that you're actually replaceable. And make no mistake, as important as Jordan is to this club ... he's replaceable.

Not sure how I feel about a four-year deal, if there is any truth to this...

Probably the same way I feel about 4 years, that it’s 2 years too many.

I saw this morning that they were close on Pesce too, but I can’t remember who tweeted it.

Edit: it was LeBrun, he said it’s looking more likely that a deal will get done.

Everyone points to Chris Johnston from TSN as the source, but the Staal deal is complete, 4 years, $2.9 million AAV

edit: CapFriendly tweeted that the contract has a NMC, which is not surprising. Feels like they trade term and the NMC for a lower AAV. And this doesn’t qualify as a 35+ contract, Staal is still 34 on July 1, so it can be bought out if he goes the way of Francis and RBA.

Last edited:
The AAV is fine for Staal. Too long a contract but as noted it can be bought out if that becomes necessary and was likely the compromise to get the AAV down. Better than Staal leaving and trying to fill that hole.

I found it somewhat surprising that reports seem to indicate a deal between the Canes and Pesce is possible. That is going to be the contract that I find interesting if it really happens because the Canes typically don't sign pending UFAs to big contracts. Pesce's really has to be at least 6 years and $6 million unless he told his agent that he 100% does not want to play elsewhere. That is not a signing the current Canes regime would typically make

Certainly there would be retention involved (50% apparently). TDA would just replace Ghost on the 3rd pair and we would go with 2 RHDs on the 3rd pair (assuming Pesce is retained?)

Interesting move.

Last edited:

Certainly there would be retention involved (50% apparently). TDA would just replace Ghost on the 3rd pair and we would go with 2 RHDs on the 3rd pair (assuming Pesce is retained?)

Interesting move.

Gonna force Chatfield to his off side? TDA at 50% is still too much.

I mean, if Pesce is gone then Chatfield might slide up to his spot and TDA will be paired with some LHD to be determined later on pair 3. But yeah, TDA doesn't slide into Pesce's spot.

If staal signs for 4 years and gets injured after 2 and goes on LTIR is that better for the canes than a buy out

If staal signs for 4 years and gets injured after 2 and goes on LTIR is that better for the canes than a buy out
Yes. If he goes on LTIR, the Canes essentially get relief for the entire cap hit. If they buy the contract out, they’ll carry a portion of the cap hit for double the remaining length of the contract.

Interesting move.

The 50% retention is not bad, TDA probably played his best hockey under Rod. There are much worse options for RD spots and the guy still can skate well and play a solid point on the pp. I don’t hate the move.

The Flyers beat writer for The Athletic says the Canes are sending a prospect that isn’t under contract yet.

Back