• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

That clause in the CBA makes perfect sense because it prevents teams from circumventing the cap by trading a player to another team only to have them turn around and trade the player back after retaining part of their contract.

That clause in the CBA makes perfect sense because it prevents teams from circumventing the cap by trading a player to another team only to have them turn around and trade the player back after retaining part of their contract.
But if Waddell is serious about making the deal, all it does is delay the inevitable, doesn’t it? He just has to wait until July 9 to make the trade?

It does, but since this particular circumstance clearly isn't a case of cap avoidance, you'd think the Canes and Flyers could get a waiver from the compliance office. Or they can wait, and hopefully turn up a better option for a cheap PP2 guy.

The rub of this is that at 38, they simply cannot count on a full 82 games out of Burns. So that thing where you just tapped a random guy on the shoulder to run the 2nd power play unit for most of last season ain't gonna cut it. They need a real second option, and let's be honest ... even crappy ones don't come cheap in this dumb league. So you're either stuck with a kid or a veteran who's too stupid to behave himself and thus is constantly on cut rate wages for one reason or another. Tada ... hello Tony. People all over the internet act like the Canes are attracted to DeAngelo because of his politics when it's 100% his price tag that they're seeing.

It does, but since this particular circumstance clearly isn't a case of cap avoidance, you'd think the Canes and Flyers could get a waiver from the compliance office. Or they can wait, and hopefully turn up a better option for a cheap PP2 guy.

The rub of this is that at 38, they simply cannot count on a full 82 games out of Burns. So that thing where you just tapped a random guy on the shoulder to run the 2nd power play unit for most of last season ain't gonna cut it. They need a real second option, and let's be honest ... even crappy ones don't come cheap in this dumb league. So you're either stuck with a kid or a veteran who's too stupid to behave himself and thus is constantly on cut rate wages for one reason or another. Tada ... hello Tony. People all over the internet act like the Canes are attracted to DeAngelo because of his politics when it's 100% his price tag that they're seeing.
Per LeBrun, the League will talk to the teams this week. The Canes and Flyers are going to argue that the Flyers signed the contract, not the Canes, and since the Flyers have a different GM than the one that signed the contract, it’s not an attempt at cap circumvention.

Keith Jones said on WIP radio this morning that a lot of the reports over the weekend “weren’t accurate”.

OK, Keith. Whatever you say.

Yeah, I saw LeBrun's take. The Canes and Flyers do have a point in regards to that clause. The way that clause was written discusses the trading of an SPC for a player and then the retention and trading back of that SPC for the player. That is not exactly the case with DeAngelo. When the Canes traded him, DeAngelo wasn't under a current SPC, he was an RFA. Then the Flyers signed him to the SPC he currently has.

Seems like a fair argument for the Flyers and Canes to attempt to make given how the CBA is written. However, the circumstances of the proposed DeAngelo trade is definitely in the spirit of this CBA clause and what it's attempting to stop. You don't want to allow a team to trade an RFA to somewhere, have that team sign the RFA to a contract, and then allow that player to be traded back to team A with retention within a year. That is basically the same thing as if the player being traded and traded back had a contract when traded (at least in my opinion it is, I agree with the NHL on that).

LeBrun noted that should both teams still desire to make this trade, if they simply wait until July 9th, there will not be an issue.

But LeBrun also raised an excellent point about going that route....by July 9th, a whole lot of other stuff is going to have happened with both teams. There is no guarantee that both teams will have the same circumstances by then and still want to make this same trade. Maybe the Flyers end up using up their retention spots on other deals. Maybe the Canes end up with another Dman via trade who can fill that spot.

Things quickly got quiet again on the Pesce front.

It's kind of interesting to me that the only player being really talked about is Pesce. Skjei is in the same situation as Pesce, but all we have been hearing is 'if the Canes cannot extend Pesce, they will trade him'. What about Brady Skjei? Are we keeping HIM and just playing it out no matter what? Do we really have a lot of faith that if we can't get Pesce signed, Jalen Chatfield is ready to step into that 2nd pair RHD spot?

No rumblings at all about Jesper Fast, I guess he is going to market? I would expect the Canes would love to keep Jesper Fast at a similar cap hit to his $2 million. I don't know really what team out there is going to pay him significantly more than that with the cap still tight this coming season.

I'm hoping that no noise on Aho is a good sign that negotiations might not drag on this time around?

Only our pending UFAs or RFAs can actually sign deals before July 1st so the Canes might have a lot to announce on July 1st.

As usual, as we count down to the final days before July 1st, I have no feel at all for how things are going to shake out for this team in the next 6 days with the leadership we have now. Long gone are the dull days leading up to the draft and free agency. Lots of very interesting decisions to be made, with many of them coming to fruition sometime in the next 6 days.

The week has finally arrived. We will find out soon about our goaltending, Brett Pesce (maybe), and possibly any big trade the Canes might have cooking for goal scoring. Buckle up!

Last edited:

It's kind of interesting to me that the only player being really talked about is Pesce. Skjei is in the same situation as Pesce, but all we have been hearing is 'if the Canes cannot extend Pesce, they will trade him'. What about Brady Skjei? Are we keeping HIM and just playing it out no matter what? Do we really have a lot of faith that if we can't get Pesce signed, Jalen Chatfield is ready to step into that 2nd pair RHD spot?
Actually, I'd think the fact that all the rumblings have been about Pesce to largely be down to the hockey media having an in with his new agent. That can make a HUGE difference in public perception and Pesce shifted to one of those power agents that tends to negotiate through the media more than the average agent. LeBrun is the only national reporter with a connection in the Canes front office, so rumors from basically anyone else are typically from the agent.

No rumblings at all about Jesper Fast, I guess he is going to market? I would expect the Canes would love to keep Jesper Fast at a similar cap hit to his $2 million. I don't know really what team out there is going to pay him significantly more than that with the cap still tight this coming season.

I'm hoping that no noise on Aho is a good sign that negotiations might not drag on this time around?

Only our pending UFAs or RFAs can actually sign deals before July 1st so the Canes might have a lot to announce on July 1st.

As usual, as we count down to the final days before July 1st, I have no feel at all for how things are going to shake out for this team in the next 6 days with the leadership we have now. Long gone are the dull days leading up to the draft and free agency. Lots of very interesting decisions to be made, with many of them coming to fruition sometime in the next 6 days.

The week has finally arrived. We will find out soon about our goaltending, Brett Pesce (maybe), and possibly any big trade the Canes might have cooking for goal scoring. Buckle up!
The way-out-of-left field trades that come out of nowhere are the fun ones with this org now...and I still hope for one of those this summer again! I hope the pricy trade bait fodder like DeBrincat and PLD are the ones the Canes steer clear of...I would prefer a cap strapped team making a move with a big name forward traded to the Canes, that's the type of stealth like moves you would expect from Tulsky, Dandy Don and company. I still feel like Toffoli is the type of scoring winger that projects to score 30-35 goals again to be a guy the Canes might like if the price is right.

If Pesce was to sign a big new deal I could see Skjei suddenly be the trade bait fodder even if things are all quiet on him now.

The way-out-of-left field trades that come out of nowhere are the fun ones with this org now...and I still hope for one of those this summer again! I hope the pricy trade bait fodder like DeBrincat and PLD are the ones the Canes steer clear of...I would prefer a cap strapped team making a move with a big name forward traded to the Canes, that's the type of stealth like moves you would expect from Tulsky, Dandy Don and company. I still feel like Toffoli is the type of scoring winger that projects to score 30-35 goals again to be a guy the Canes might like if the price is right.

If Pesce was to sign a big new deal I could see Skjei suddenly be the trade bait fodder even if things are all quiet on him now.
Saw a thing on Twitter this morning about PLD. It was skaters with more hits/60 minutes than PLD. There were 365, including Seth Jarvis.

If Chevaldayoff comes anywhere near the Canes table in Nashville, Waddell should run away.

Yeah, I still think they're gonna make another run at Konecny just because he's such a good fit, but Tofoli is also one I'd keep an eye of. He's older but never played a speed game in the first place, and having him signed to only one year is a plus for where the Canes are right now. I could see them making a run at a bigger name maybe, but not if they aren't a really good fit. That alone puts PLD and DeBrincat on the probably not shelf, if their contract demands didn't get them there first.

Jaccob Slavin finished 4th in the Lady Byng voting, 130 points behind Brayden Point in 3rd. Anze Kopitar win it.

Jordan Staal finished 4th in the Selke voting, 51 points behind Mitch Marner, 1 point ahead of Anze Kopitar. Aho and Martinook each got votes. Patrice Bergeron won it with 187 of 196 first place votes.

Cory Lavalette tweeted a summary of how the Canes fared last night. As Andrew Schnittker of CanesCountry/The Wilson Times pointed out, that Burns finished higher in the Norris voting that Slavin shows that the award is skewed toward scoring rather than defending.

Two anomalies last night. Someone had Connor McDavid 5th on their Hart Trophy ballot. Jack Edwards is trending on Twitter, the Twitterverse is convinced that it was his ballot. That he’s not a member of the Professional Hockey Writers Association doesn’t seem to matter. And Eric Staal got a 2nd place vote for the Selke, the only ballot he was named on. Did someone confuse the brothers and mean that for Jordan?

Hurricanes who received votes for NHL Awards:
J. Staal, Selke, 4th: 1-36-15-23-23
Aho, Selke, 28th: 0-0-0-1-2
Martinook, Selke, T-34th: 0-0-0-0-1
Burns, Norris, 10th: 0-2-2-3-8
Slavin, Norris, 17th: 0-0-0-1-0; Byng, 4th: 18-27-23-17-17
Brind’Amour, Adams, 6th: 0-5-7

Back