• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

I still chuckle at old Chuck Fletcher trading away a second a third and a fourth round pick for TDA…and the Canes taking him back for pennies on the dollar! Shrewd bit of business even if you are not a fan of TDA!

This shouldn't be a complicated deal. Did someone just explain to Breire at the last second that they only have 3 retention spots or that they are not obligated to retain the full 50%, that is just the max? I mean it can't be over which low round prospect we are sending, we have a huge pile of them.

Am I the only one here remembering how defensively ineffective TDA was in the playoffs? He played D like a freaking matador in a bull ring. Maybe if Carolina signs someone to take up his slack on our side of the blue line to pair him with and he is signed for a bargain basement price, I could see it. Somebody, Please help me understand this one?

The Rangers totally got in his head & him off his game by talking junk.

*the images of Aho going right through him replay is permanently etched in my (addled) brain*

Jim

Last edited:
He was good on the powerplay. But not much else. I also still don't get the outright political hatred this guy drags around. I've seen him called a homophobe amd a racist in the last 5 minutes. What did I miss?

The Staal deal is official. 4 years, $2.9 million AAV. Full NMC for the first 3 years, full NTC for the last 3.

He was good on the powerplay. But not much else. I also still don't get the outright political hatred this guy drags around. I've seen him called a homophobe amd a racist in the last 5 minutes. What did I miss?
How good on the PP though?

In 21-22, with him running PP1, the PP scored 51 goals and converted 22% of the time, 13th in the league. But do you remember how bad the PP was in March and April? In the last 30 games, the PP converted 15.6% of the time, tied for 26th after March 1. In the playoffs, the Canes scored 7 PP goals and converted 13% of the time, 12th among playoff teams.

In 22-23, the PP scored 50 goals and converted 19.8% of the time, tied for 19th in the league. In the playoffs, the Canes scored 9 Pp goals and converted 17.7% of the time, 12th among playoff teams. And that was without Svech for the last 18 regular season games and the playoffs.

And like StormChaser said, who has to haul his useless carcass around in the defensive zone?

Maybe so. But it's immature, irrational, and stinks of ignorance to label someone such ridiculous things because he voted for a different candidate than you or doesn't approve of a particular office holder. Makes me sick.
So the locker room fight with Georgiev in New York didn’t happen? And it wasn’t the first time he had an altercation with a teammate. It’s why the Rangers kicked him to the curb the day after getting into it with Georgiev. Did he behave himself here? Yes, because it was his last chance. But let’s not pretend he’s a choirboy.

Honestly, I don’t care who he voted for, I think many guys in the locker room voted the same way. But he was a bad teammate in New York and he’s really, really bad at his primary job.

Here is the breakdown on Staal’s contract:

Year 1 - $3.45 million salary
Year 2 - $3.41 million salary
Year 3 - $2.65 million salary
Year 4 - $1.315 million signing bonus, $775k salary

I don’t consider myself a TDA fan. Too emotional (see Rangers series) and too much of a defensive liability. His politics don’t align with mine, but that’s not my concern. He did provide offense by way of the PP, but are we going to ask Chattfield to babysit TDA or some defensive rookie when we lose Pesce and need Chattfield to move to the 2nd pairing??

This shouldn't be a complicated deal. Did someone just explain to Breire at the last second that they only have 3 retention spots or that they are not obligated to retain the full 50%, that is just the max? I mean it can't be over which low round prospect we are sending, we have a huge pile of them.

Cutting through all the other stuff, the snag may have been some combination of other factors. Philly is busy trying to get Krug (and struggling) and Carolina is in the end game of negotiations with Pesce (and reports are all over the place). So, maybe ... just maybe ... the Canes were looking at DeAngelo as a right side 3rd pairing guy who can back up on the PP for cheap. And either because Krug's deal got hung up or maybe Pesce got closer to an extension, that option became moot. Look, you can speculate all day but until it's a done deal, it doesn't matter so there's no point arguing over old ground ... for me at least. Wake me when something happens.

Here is the breakdown on Staal’s contract:

Year 1 - $3.45 million salary
Year 2 - $3.41 million salary
Year 3 - $2.65 million salary
Year 4 - $1.315 million signing bonus, $775k salary
And apparently he got trade protection on the first three seasons. Frankly, that bit plus the buyout protection on the 4th year tips me into the "this was too much" camp. I 100% understand the value of Jordan Staal to this organization. I'm absolutely thrilled to have him for this first two years, and while I'd rather see that first number be a 2, I see what everybody's doing. The last two years? Screw that noise. He'll be 36-37 by then and HIGHLY unlikely to be even close to the player he is right now. Maybe he promised them he'd retire rather than fall off the planet and be a burden, but I don't think many if any players ever really get that judgement call right. Jordan pushed this and the Canes blinked. Period.

Here is where the TDA trade "issue" is I think, it's in the CBA's massive 50.5 section.

Teams cannot:
Reacquire as part of a Retained Salary Transaction the SPC
of a Player who was on that Club's Reserve List within the
past calendar year;
Illustration: If Club A Trades the SPC of a Player to Club
B (the "Initial Trade"), Club B cannot subsequently Trade
an SPC of such Player back to Club A within one (1)
calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade and retain a
portion of the Averaged Amount of that SPC pursuant to a
Retained Salary Transaction. However, Club B may Trade
an SPC of the Player back to Club A within one (1)
calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade if Club B
does not retain any portion of such Player's SPC.

Basically the TDA trade cannot happen until 1 year has passed since the trade to the Flyers happened if I'm understanding that correctly. July 8th 2022 was the date of the trade to the Flyers.

Back