• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

If I had to choose between Pesce or Skjei I would choose Pesce every singel time. I think Pesce make Skjei better to a much higher degree that the other way around.
I think it probably would be good business to get some good value back from trading Skjei if you have to.

If I had to choose between Pesce or Skjei I would choose Pesce every singel time. I think Pesce make Skjei better to a much higher degree that the other way around.
I think it probably would be good business to get some good value back from trading Skjei if you have to.
Yeah, all things equal I'd agree. But all things aren't always equal and how open these two guys are to signing a deal at what Carolina considers their market value will probably be the tipping point. Like CM says, I seriously doubt we get to 2024-25 with both of them still in Raleigh, simply because nobody can commit that much cap space to their second pairing. Plus, Boom Nikishin is coming eventually. He changes the math a bit and the Canes will want to save cap and roster space for him.

Plus it seems like Pesce has a lot more wear and tear -I’d be concerned with how well he ages. Our team D was solid. Defensively individually 22 and 74 had relatively off years by the eye test. Although for Slavin he’s just set the bar at damned near perfection so that just means a couple mistakes/misplays over the season.

I don’t think Pesce will be back for another contract. I think he thinks he’s a top pair D and he probably is on some teams. He could be here if we didn’t need offense from our D so much.

I mean, Pesce has been 1st or 2nd on the team in ice time for three years ... and top 5 for several before that. I don't think it's going to be about his place on the marquee if he leaves. It'll be about the money and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There was a time when Pesce and Slavin played together as our top pairing and were pretty damn good together— they just didn’t score, hence Hamilton, DeAngelo and now Burns. So yes, I think 22 can consider himself as part of a top pair. If we lose Pesce and/or Skeij, I hope they go out west…I don’t want them in our division or conference.

While markedly under-used since Dougie got to Raleigh, the Pesce/Slavin pairing remains Carolina's best in every single measurable other than point production ... including offensive metrics. They aren't on different lines because it doesn't work, but rather because the team prefers to balance the top two lines and can afford to use Slavin to prop up their PP1 point guy. Those two guys have been an absolute treasure trove for the Canes.

While markedly under-used since Dougie got to Raleigh, the Pesce/Slavin pairing remains Carolina's best in every single measurable other than point production ... including offensive metrics. They aren't on different lines because it doesn't work, but rather because the team prefers to balance the top two lines and can afford to use Slavin to prop up their PP1 point guy. Those two guys have been an absolute treasure trove for the Canes.
💯

We basically can’t afford to pay the market rate for 4 top pairing level D. So something has to give.

regardless of what we know. Pesce is billed as a second pair D in a pretty quiet media market. Hard enough for Slavin to get the credit he deserves here. I think he’ll leave for more money and more visibility - just my feeling. I’d love to keep him.

I don't think he will. I think the kid has had enough.
Seems like a guy who got a good look at what it takes at this level and decided he’s not willing to give that. He knows he can go home, put in less work and make a nice living.

Not sure where else to put this, but since it involves local hockey, here it is. This is a neat story of high school level hockey starting up here in the Triangle:

My thoughts on Puljujärvi. Not everyone is suited to play the north american system with smaller ice surface and higher tempo. Puljujärvi is definately one of them. I don´t think he can process things that happen around him quickly enough to play that game. A pitty but that's what I get when watching him.

My thoughts on Puljujärvi. Not everyone is suited to play the north american system with smaller ice surface and higher tempo. Puljujärvi is definately one of them. I don´t think he can process things that happen around him quickly enough to play that game. A pitty but that's what I get when watching him.
Agreed on the processing time. Nothing looks natural to the guy, at least not once he came to the Canes.

Joe + Joe talked to someone about that today:

Back in the day prior to the canes or maybe right around the time the canes started Jimmy Powers of Ice Caps fame started a high school program. Some of the coaches were Jimmy, Me, Mike Young, Greg Meluch I think was one also maybe others.
we had practices at Dorton and games at the ICE house. I remember one gsme where is was in the control room watching the game with Chuck Kaitin as his son was playing.

Back in the day prior to the canes or maybe right around the time the canes started Jimmy Powers of Ice Caps fame started a high school program. Some of the coaches were Jimmy, Me, Mike Young, Greg Meluch I think was one also maybe others.
we had practices at Dorton and games at the ICE house. I remember one gsme where is was in the control room watching the game with Chuck Kaitin as his son was playing.
RYHA had a sort of high school spring house league in the early 2000s, like 2003-05ish, definitely before the Junior Canes organization was formed. But schools were combined because there weren‘t enough players at any 1 school.

I think what we're seeing here is the further building of hockey culture in the area by:
  • having a consistently good local NHL team
  • this current crop of high school kids being the kids of people who were merely kids when the Hurricanes first arrived
A real culture centered on one thing requires multiple generations

Back