• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Lord have mercy, Canadian hockey Youtube has pretty much crowned the Leafs as the next Stanley Cup champ already with their signing of those three guys last week. Tyler Bertuzzi, Max freakin' Domi, and that goon from Vegas are just the pieces that the Leafs need to get them over the playoff hump. LOL.
Oh, that's present in the traditional media as well ... just to a more tasteful degree. And let's be honest here, this happens every summer when the Leafs are competitive. Whatever the Leafs do is 100% the thing that's going to put them over the hump ... even if that's signing a bunch of retired circus clowns to teach a media relations seminar for the players. The emperor is very, very naked.

Except Uncle Lou on Long Island, who gave Sorokin 8 years and Engvall and Mayfield 7 years. The Pens gave Ryan Graves 6 years and Tristan Jarry 5. Miles Wood got 6 from the Avs, Compher got 5 from the Red Wings, Korpisalo got 5 from the Sens. Those are the only contracts that are at least 5 years.
Yeah, and a couple oof them make sense. I'd also get Sorokin nailed down and Graves is a big get for the Pens. Ditto Compher in Detroit. The rest of those are utter nonsense. Either they're just stupid on their face or they're so risky as to be so.

Prospect Development Camp starts on Monday at Invisalign Arena. On-ice sessions are open to the public. The roster is 23 players, anll but 3 were drafted by the Canes and includes 5 players from this year’s draft. Bradly Nadeau’s brother Josh who also played for Penticton and is headed to Maine and Maxim Namestnikov who played for Guelph and Sardis were invited and goalie Yaniv Perets is technically a free agent signing.

And they’ll be joined by a new coach. Alyssa Gagliardi returns to the team after 1 year as an assistant at Neuman Univerwith, the only woman coaching a men’s NCAA team. She’s part of the NHL Coaches Association Female Coaches Development Program.

Might be nothing to this but Massimo Rizzo, reported to be the low level prospect the Canes are trading for TDA, is on that prospect camp roster.

In theory the TDA trade can be completed before the prospect camp starts next Monday.

Might be nothing to this but Massimo Rizzo, reported to be the low level prospect the Canes are trading for TDA, is on that prospect camp roster.

In theory the TDA trade can be completed before the prospect camp starts next Monday.
The players start arriving on Sunday. If they do trade him, hopefully it’s not while he’s on his flight from Vancouver.

Better yet, hopefully Waddell has changed his mind about the trade.

I'm psyched to see that the Canes invited Bradly Nadeau's brother Josh to the camp. The two of them will be playing together at Maine next season.

A good friend of mine whose son played against both of them in the BCHL last season thinks we got a steal with Bradly in the draft. He said Josh is very talented too, but at only 5'9", he was overlooked in the draft.

I'm psyched to see that the Canes invited Bradly Nadeau's brother Josh to the camp. The two of them will be playing together at Maine next season.

A good friend of mine whose son played against both of them in the BCHL last season thinks we got a steal with Bradly in the draft. He said Josh is very talented too, but at only 5'9", he was overlooked in the draft.
Some of the wags had Nadeau in the teens, so to get him at 30 qualifies as a steal.

David Pagnotta was on the NHL Network earlier today. He said the Canes front office had a press release for Tarasenko ready to go and then he changed agents. But the team is still interested. He also said the Canes are still in the mix for Karlsson but may involve Pesce being sent to Nashville first and a first rounder is involved, coming to the Canes, that would presumably be included in the deal for Karlsson. He thinks that San Jose will have to retain salary, $3-4 million. The Pens are also still in the mix for Karlsson. And TDA is a done deal, he’ll be traded over the weekend.

OK ... so, Carolina is attempting to go full Team Chaos Mode then.

If the past is any indication, there's no way they pull all of that crap off, so we're going to end up stuck with just freaking DeAngelo, aren't we?

OK ... so, Carolina is attempting to go full Team Chaos Mode then.

If the past is any indication, there's no way they pull all of that crap off, so we're going to end up stuck with just freaking DeAngelo, aren't we?
I hope there's more to it than *holds nose* TDA.

I see Don Waddell and a bit of a wizard and if anyone has the magical ability to make something good happen, he's the man. I trust his judgement and track record.

Jim

TDA was good to very good when he was here and I assume would be similar in a second iteration. He wasn’t good in the playoffs but my goodness he had a lot of company in that category.

Where is the antipathy coming from?

It might take a while for the whole Pesce/Karlsson thing to shake out, if it does at all. From a Canes perspective, the only benefit of getting Karlsson as early as possible is that they could start marketing the crap out of acquiring the reigning Norris trophy winner.

Seems like no matter how things go with Karlsson, Pesce is a goner. If its Nashville for Pesce, well, no state income tax in Tennessee, so he can enjoy more of his big payday while not making the playoffs any time soon out there. But hey, he wants to be paid it seems over staying here and trying to win Cups. He won't be the first player to make that choice.

Nashville has a nice fat $8.8 million in cap space waiting for that trade to happen. I would rather they fork over the $6.75-$7 million AAV for at least 5 years that Pesce is likely looking for. Give me Orlov at $7.75 million AAV instead thank you very much.

Last edited:
TDA was good to very good when he was here and I assume would be similar in a second iteration. He wasn’t good in the playoffs but my goodness he had a lot of company in that category.

Where is the antipathy coming from?
IMO DeAngelo was good enough for most of the time he was here, but was very much a net negative in the playoffs when he lost his danged mind at the mere sight of his old club. He not the kind of player to learn from past mistakes and grow out of them ... as evidenced by his recent season in Philly ... so the best you're gonna get is what you already got. In a depth role, IF YOU NEED HIM, then fine. My position is, with Burns and Orlov, Carolina has no need of his services. I don't hate the guy. I simply see no reason to add him to the mix.

Nashville has a nice fat $8.8 million in cap space waiting for that trade to happen. I would rather they fork over the $6.75-$7 million for at least 5 years that Pesce is likely looking for. Give me Orlov at $7.75 million instead thank you very much.
My take ... I don't want any part of paying Brett Pesce anything that starts with a 6 or a 7 into his mid-30s. Love the guy, but no thanks.

Getting Pesce out of the Eastern Conference and into Nashville would not be the worst move, what Nashville has to trade that Carolina would be interested in is a bigger question. The one player they have that should interest the Canes is the big Finnish Centerman Juuso Parssinen. He has shown some flashes of being a very solid player and is a very nice sized young center at 6'3" 215 and only 22 years of age.

Stated my position on TDA already; he's useless in our zone at even strength (let alone if we need a fill-in at PK because D are in the box) without Slavin as his babysitter, and I'd rather 74 not be tied down like that or break up 74-8, so who's the Tony sitter?. Combine THAT with the redundancy of his one asset now that Burns and Orlov are on the squad, and it adds up to a big Thanks, No Thanks.

1688754394327.png

Last edited:
Getting Pesce out of the Eastern Conference and into Nashville would not be the worst move, what Nashville has to trade that Carolina would be interested in is a bigger question. The one player they have that should interest the Canes is the big Finnish Centerman Juuso Parssinen. He has shown some flashes of being a very solid player and is a very nice sized young center and only 22 years of age.
The incoming first rounder mentioned could be from Nashville.

Provides us with a better positioned first rounder than our own since a first round pick might be part of the price for a retained-salary Karlsson.

Can also out-rank the Penguins first rounder, if necessary.

Nashville really shouldn't be dealing 1st round picks for 2nd pair Dmen and then paying those 2nd pair Dmen huge bucks for long term.

Nashville's issue right now is a serious lack of goal scorers at the forward position. They have Forsberg and pretty much nothing else. Meanwhile they have 4 RHD already in Tyson Barrie, Luke Schenn, Alexandre Carrier and Dante Fabbro.

I can see Nashville thinking that they could put Pesce with Josi and have a great 1st pair at both end of the ice, and they might be right. But their current 'top 13 forwards' scored a combined 131 goals in the NHL last season. (for perspective, the 12 forwards currently on the Canes roster scored 209).

I know Trotz would love to build a team that tries to win every game 2-1. Adding Pesce for a 1st round pick given the current state of their roster would only make sense to Barry Trotz.

Back