• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

I'd like this done sooner than later, if it's going to happen, so he can be bedded in as much as possible by the time the playoffs start.
One if the know it alls said it won’t happen before Marleau’s jersey retirement in the weekend.

The Athletic put out an article about upcoming free agents coming out of the CHL, college, Europe today. One guy that caught my eye as a potential signing was the goalie out of Maine, Victor Ostman. The Canes are definitely in need of goalie depth and this guy sounds like he’d be a great add.

The Athletic put out an article about upcoming free agents coming out of the CHL, college, Europe today. One guy that caught my eye as a potential signing was the goalie out of Maine, Victor Ostman. The Canes are definitely in need of goalie depth and this guy sounds like he’d be a great add.
Yeah. Wouldn't shock me if the Canes sign a free agent goalie for depth here eventually. Kochetkov is surely penciled in for an NHL slot next season, and I don't see any of their prospects being ready for AHL duty. As we've learned too well over the last couple of years, you need three guys who can at least survive at the NHL level

This is from Emily Kaplan at espn so take it for what it’s worth. Nothing earth shattering or different than what we already have heard/know just thought I’d share
Meanwhile, the Hurricanes tend to do business differently from the rest of the league. Although they have the most cap space and flexibility among the top contenders thanks to Max Pacioretty's LTIR designation, they have prices that don't always align with what the market says, and they stick to them. They're monitoring Kane and Meier, but I wouldn't be surprised if their acquisition is an off-the-radar player with term. The Canes typically don't do rentals or short-term decisions. They also tend to do business in the eleventh hour. So while a lot of teams got ahead of the deadline, Carolina should be active on March 3.

Frank Seravalli interviewed Tom Dundon in the latest episode of his "Frankly Speaking" podcast. I strongly encourage a listen...

It's hard to imagine an NHL coming across more positively than Tom does here.

This is from Emily Kaplan at espn so take it for what it’s worth. Nothing earth shattering or different than what we already have heard/know just thought I’d share
She's not wrong. The Canes set a hard value on both the player and the acquisition cost and stick with it. More teams should probably think about applying that discipline to their process.

That said, I also agree that it looks likely that the market for Meier is so over-heated that the cost to acquire the player will get outside of the Canes comfort zone. They'll move to other options should that happen, but I honestly don't think Kane is on their radar.

There’s a lot of interest in TM and a lot of speculation. Hard to gauge what that means in terms of what’s actually been offered.

There’s a lot of interest in TM and a lot of speculation. Hard to gauge what that means in terms of what’s actually been offered.
Yeah ... that's always the case. What we can distill from the noise though, is that the trend on Meier's market is heading towards more teams being involved, not less. That generally indicates that the asset price will go up, basic market economic forces being what they are. And it makes sense. Meier is still a young player and would still be under contract control after the season. As deadline targets go, he's kind of the perfect storm ... aside from the exceedingly dumb structure of his existing contract.

Nick Schmaltz name being tossed around the rumor mill as a Canes addition. Guy has had 2 decent seasons in his life. One playing next to Patrick Kane. I mean, if you can get him for meh level prospect and a 3rd round pick, maybe. But I don't see the appeal to a 3rd or 4th line center. Canes need goals and size on wing.

Schmaltz isn't a play driver, but he is a creative passer and a halfway decent finisher. If Carolina made that move it would insurance against Kotkaniemi going invisible ... again ... but the cost would be more about his contract and less about his value as a player. I think it's patently obvious why a guy like Schmaltz's trajectory took a bit of a hit when he moved to the Coyotes, but he's been very good for them over the last two seasons. The question with him is does Carolina want to commit to him for 3 more years at $5.8 million AAV including a modified no movement clause. Frankly, that sounds like a stretch to me. He'd be a good placeholder, but if you can't move him (easily) then you're on the hook for his late prime at a cash value of way higher than his AAV ... $7.5 million then $8.5 million. That really doesn't sound like a contract the Canes would normally take on unless the player was an exceptionally good fit. I'd rate that rumor as more convenient than convincing.

Nick Schmaltz name being tossed around the rumor mill as a Canes addition. Guy has had 2 decent seasons in his life. One playing next to Patrick Kane. I mean, if you can get him for meh level prospect and a 3rd round pick, maybe. But I don't see the appeal to a 3rd or 4th line center. Canes need goals and size on wing.
He’s been a nearly point per game player the last 2 years, with 59 in 63 games last year and 37 in 42 this year. He has 3 years left at $5.85 million but the actuals are much higher, $7.5 million next year, $8.45 million, including a $1.5 million SB in 2024-25, and $8.5 million in 2025-26

He’s been a nearly point per game player the last 2 years, with 59 in 63 games last year and 37 in 42 this year. He has 3 years left at $5.85 million but the actuals are much higher, $7.5 million next year, $8.45 million, including a $1.5 million SB in 2024-25, and $8.5 million in 2025-26
I think it's the actual cash value combined with the NMC that makes this one a non-starter. I can see where the reporters' heads were at though.

The only way I'd consider taking that contract is if Kotkaniemi was going the other way. It seems foolish to have both, players and contracts.

How does a guy with a modified NMC land in Arizona? 🤦🏼‍♀️ Seems to me that a modified NMC is in place to avoid places like Arizona…

If you’re talking about KK, then the contract details I looked at show his M-NTC doesn’t kick in until 2026. But that site could be wrong.

If you’re talking about Schmaltz, then that same site shows he didn’t have a M-NTC when he was traded, plus he had 3 months left on his contract and was set to be an RFA.

Back