• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Guesses on who the Canes go after now? Boesser?
It's almost like a blank canvas now with five days to go for Dandy Don! Tons of cap space, enough assets to shop around...going to have to get creative...but if I had to guess, it's something perhaps out of left field that none of the experts saw coming!

In terms of need...at least one top six winger and one depth defenseman that can log some big minutes if needed come playoff time.

I hate to admit this with as much as the Canes have dominated so far this year...the Metro division top seed is a must now...you have to hold that lead and get a lesser lite team in round one and let the Rangers and Devils beat the shit out of each other in that first round matchup!!!

Guesses on who the Canes go after now? Boesser?
I'm still thinking Konecny makes more sense, and that Philly is going to flip into sell mode before Friday. I'd hate to burn a first rounder on Boesser. He's solid, but I'm not sure he really moves the needle in the right way.

I’m thinking of a Lafferty and McCabe package.
I like McCabe but I think $4 million is probably too much money for a 3rd pair slot given Carolina's structure. If he was a rental that would make more sense to me. Lafferty ... I'm not sure he'd do anything other than push Stepan off of the 4th line. Which is fine, I guess. I just feel like if the Canes add a grunt, it would be a higher impact guy than Lafferty. Again, for the depth pieces they could well be looking at lower key rentals rather than cheap guys with term.

I'm still thinking Konecny makes more sense, and that Philly is going to flip into sell mode before Friday. I'd hate to burn a first rounder on Boesser. He's solid, but I'm not sure he really moves the needle in the right way.
I think Konecny would be a great acquisition for us and would deliver better production on a much better team than the one he's currently stuck on. Unfortunately, he was put on IR after taking a big hit in Saturday's game from MacKenzie Weeger.

I think Konecny would be a great acquisition for us and would deliver better production on a much better team than the one he's currently stuck on. Unfortunately, he was put on IR after taking a big hit in Saturday's game from MacKenzie Weeger.
Yeah, for some reason I was thinking that was Friday not Saturday.

Wasn’t Sami Vatanen on IR when the Canes traded for him?

Sorry...got my days mixed up. He took the hit last Monday; on Saturday, the Flyers put him on IR.
So he could potentially get cleared to move by the deadline if they retroactively IRed him ... regardless of restrictions ... and if the injury isn't that severe. I still think he's the best potential fit out of the remaining scoring wingers likely to be on the market.

STM info for 2023-24 is out. Lots of new price points if you are in the '3rd to 5th' rows of lower level sections. My Full season tix Lower Level North (N-XX) base ticket price increase is 12%. General parking goes from $15 to $17 for full STMs (which is also 12%ish)

STM info for 2023-24 is out. Lots of new price points if you are in the '3rd to 5th' rows of lower level sections. My Full season tix Lower Level North (N-XX) base ticket price increase is 12%.
Yeah, looks like they're changing models on the lower bowl a bit. Sadly that might force a change for me ... which was inevitable but I've managed to stave it off for 23 years. I'll probably let the auto-renew kick in and then look to relocate this summer.

Upon closer review ... looks like I can probably just shift one price zone further from the ice in my current area and get back to something like my current pricing. I'll probably be doing that.

Last edited:
What I ultimately would like is; The 2 Travises(sp), from Philly or Boeser/Schmaltz. The Pickens are getting Slim….
Sanheim? Yeah, he's got a $6 million and change AAV extension kicking in next season and would be Carolina's 3rd LD. I don't think that's happening.

Mine went up from $100 to $105 on the Sideline Preferred (behind the Rows C-E which got the extra raise).... a 5% bump not as much as I was expecting, but we've gotten hit harder in prior raises. Noticed the exchange program goes from "up to day before" (usually 19 hours for a 7pm game) to "48 hours". Haven't studied it closely enough to have any other thoughts.

Going back to CanadaCanes point, pundits are going to link us to all of these fowards that are out there on the common 'trade watch' lists. Those currently include:

Sam Lafferty (useless to the Canes)
James van Riemsdyk (not very fleet of foot and not a good 5v5 player)
Lars Eller (Washington probably wouldn't trade him to Canes, and I don't want him anyways)
Brock Boeser (very inconsistent)
Jesse Puljujarvi (not a needle mover for this season)
Nick Bjugstad (Yawn)
Gustav Nyquist (no thanks)
Nick Schmaltz, Jakub Vrana, Warren Foegele (no), Jordan Greenway, Max Domi, Sean Monahan (if he can play)

That isn't a very exciting list of forwards. Could the Canes grab one of those guys via a trade? Sure. But I suspect the Canes are poking around bigger fish than the guys on that list and that we might make a bigger trade that doesn't include anyone on that list above.

Lafferty and McCabe just went to the Leafs...

I agree CMal...the current most likely to be traded list is a hodge podge of misfits and has-beens for the most part! Go find a bigger fish to fry with term and put a package together that makes sense for this year and beyond!

Last edited:
There's not much left on anyone's list I'd trade a 2nd rounder for. Unless we're going after a defenseman. Waddell blew a tire on the onramp.

There's not much left on anyone's list I'd trade a 2nd rounder for. Unless we're going after a defenseman. Waddell blew a tire on the onramp.
I think some have been trying to make the point that, other than Meier, Carolina was unlikely to shopping from those lists for quite a while now. Maybe wait and see how it actually goes instead of throwing in the towel 4 days early.

Back