• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Someone remind me again, how the checkers ended up losing the hurricanes and became an affiliate for the freaking Panthers?
Their ownership got too full of themselves after their Calder Cup and became very needy indeed ... demanding more veteran players and demanding the Canes carry all of the costs of those players. Note that while Chicago was the same about wanting AHL vets, they either spliit the costs or payed the freight themselves.

Their ownership got too full of themselves after their Calder Cup and became very needy indeed ... demanding more veteran players and demanding the Canes carry all of the costs of those players. Note that while Chicago was the same about wanting AHL vets, they either spliit the costs or payed the freight themselves.
Ah yes. Now I remember. Thanks.

Someone remind me again, how the checkers ended up losing the hurricanes and became an affiliate for the freaking Panthers?
Waddell said in an interview with Sara Civian that the relationship started falling apart in January 2020 and he was surprised by it. And then it was money. The Wolves had more to spend and Waddell had a relationship with the Wolves from his Thrashers days.

So the Tarasenko rumors appear to be lots of smoke but no flame. None of the mainstream media ever mentioned it, even in passing.

Are the Hurricanes chewing through AHL affiliates faster than my dogs go through milk bones?
Not really. They were in Charlotte for 10 years, and had the owners not gotten full of themselves, would probably still be there. Chicago wanted to be independent, we’ll see how well that works for them with the AHL lineup restrictions. They have a revenue stream where they can afford it.

But Chicago sort of has a point. The Canes aren’t drafting players that will necessarily play in the AHL in the near term. The Euros will have to come here to acclimate to North America, but when? They haven’t drafted a player from Major Junior in the last 2 years, but have taken 9 Russians. And the college kids will probably play at least 3 years before they get to the AHL.

So the Tarasenko rumors appear to be lots of smoke but no flame. None of the mainstream media ever mentioned it, even in passing.
I'm not sure you can or should dismiss that noise this soon. Maybe the idea that the Canes would be signing him in the next couple of days was wildly out of line, but I'm not sure I ever saw it framed that way by anyone other than fans. Like always in UFA season, signings either come rocketing out of the blue as a done deal or you get a bunch of rumors beforehand and then it takes forever. That's why I always stick to believing it when I see it ... as an official announcement.

But Chicago sort of has a point. The Canes aren’t drafting players that will necessarily play in the AHL in the near term. The Euros will have to come here to acclimate to North America, but when? They haven’t drafted a player from Major Junior in the last 2 years, but have taken 9 Russians. And the college kids will probably play at least 3 years before they get to the AHL.
Yup ... at this point, Carolina's draft and development strategy runs 100% counter to what it takes to operate a winning AHL affiliate. Which is a no consequences event when you own and operate your own AHL team like a lot of NHL owners do. With the way the Canes talent pipeline is set up, I'm not sure it really matters all that much, despite all the worrying from fans an, to a lesser extent, media.

Yup ... at this point, Carolina's draft and development strategy runs 100% counter to what it takes to operate a winning AHL affiliate. Which is a no consequences event when you own and operate your own AHL team like a lot of NHL owners do. With the way the Canes talent pipeline is set up, I'm not sure it really matters all that much, despite all the worrying from fans an, to a lesser extent, media.
still trying to learn this AHL business; so what happens to people like Pyotr (where will he play)? Will we sign with someone by season start? A little confused on this stuff.

The Canes will have to loan out players to various minor league affiliates or in the case of many of our European born prospects, loan them to professional teams in their pro leagues. This involves the Canes reaching out to other NHL/AHL franchises and agreeing to loan them our players for their AHL team and to the various Euro leagues pro teams as well.

The obvious disadvantage for our AHL assigned kids is that they are going to get sprinkled across multiple AHL teams where the style of play is not necessarily how the Canes play AND those AHL teams might prioritize their prospects over our prospects. One thing though...Chicago is electing to go 'affiliate free', however, there are rules in the AHL that limit how many 'vets' a team can have on their roster. In other words, Chicago is going to have to have SOME prospects on their roster. I don't know how toxic the situation is between the Canes and Chicago, but Chicago needs SOME 'prospects' per AHL rules. The Canes have some prospects that need an AHL home.

Until I hear otherwise, I assume that some of our kids will end up in Chicago still. Some will end up loaned to other AHL teams. And MOST of our Euro prospects will play in Europe on loan.

If you think about it from Chicago's perspective, wouldn't they absolutely want Pyotr Kochetkov to play there? I don't know how poisoned the relationship actually is?

Last edited:
Here is the official rule on AHL teams and 'prospects':

Development Rule

Since the American Hockey League’s main purpose is to be a development league to the National Hockey League, there is a rule that is implemented to ensure that teams are focused on developing prospects as their top priority. Of the 18 skaters that play for one team in each AHL game, at least 13 of them must be qualified as “development players”. This is known as the “development rule”. Goaltenders are not included in this rule.

In the eyes of the AHL, a “development player” is any player that has played less than 260 professional hockey games (including NHL, AHL and European Elite leagues). Additionally, one of the 13 players may be “exempt” and can have played between 260 and 320 professional hockey games. Therefore, each AHL team is only allowed to dress five players with 321 or more professional games played and only one player with between 260 and 320 games played.
This rule prevents teams from filling their lineups with veteran players with more professional experience, and allows the playing field to be leveled; allowing all of the AHL’s member clubs to focus on development first.

Sourced from here: https://bellevillesens.com/learning-ahl-roster-assembled/

If you think about it from Chicago's perspective, wouldn't they absolutely want Pyotr Kochetkov to play there? I don't know how poisoned the relationship actually is?
I haven't seen a single report that frames their relationship as toxic, specifically. Best guess ... most if not all of Carolina's AHLers end up playing in Chicago for the Wolves, just on individual loans instead of under an affiliation agreement. As you frame it above, the practical concerns of both parties would be satisfied by that kind of arrangement.

I haven't seen a single report that frames their relationship as toxic, specifically. Best guess ... most if not all of Carolina's AHLers end up playing in Chicago for the Wolves, just on individual loans instead of under an affiliation agreement. As you frame it above, the practical concerns of both parties would be satisfied by that kind of arrangement.
Waddell and the Chicago ownership/management team has a relationship that goes back to 2001, when they were the Thrashers affiliate. So I’m guessing that the relationship isn’t completely fractured and will allow guys like Koochie, Suzuki, Rees and Ponomarov, etc. to play there. We’ll see at the end of training camp.

Where it probably will hurt is the Canes ability to sign guys with NHL experience to 2 way contracts. Max Lajoie got a $450k AHL salary from the Leafs. So the guys that were the 14/15 forward or 8/9 dmen won’t be guys like Josh Leivo, or Potsie or Noesen, it’s going to be Suzuki, Rees, etc.

Last edited:
The Canes will have to loan out players to various minor league affiliates or in the case of many of our European born prospects, loan them to professional teams in their pro leagues. This involves the Canes reaching out to other NHL/AHL franchises and agreeing to loan them our players for their AHL team and to the various Euro leagues pro teams as well.

The obvious disadvantage for our AHL assigned kids is that they are going to get sprinkled across multiple AHL teams where the style of play is not necessarily how the Canes play AND those AHL teams might prioritize their prospects over our prospects. One thing though...Chicago is electing to go 'affiliate free', however, there are rules in the AHL that limit how many 'vets' a team can have on their roster. In other words, Chicago is going to have to have SOME prospects on their roster. I don't know how toxic the situation is between the Canes and Chicago, but Chicago needs SOME 'prospects' per AHL rules. The Canes have some prospects that need an AHL home.

Until I hear otherwise, I assume that some of our kids will end up in Chicago still. Some will end up loaned to other AHL teams. And MOST of our Euro prospects will play in Europe on loan.

many thanks!

Back