• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Has Tarasenko signed with a likely non-Cup winning team for a few hundred grand more per season yet?
Not yet ... and there are 31 teams that fail to win the Cup every single season, so it's easier to get part right than the other way around.

That's why I weasel-worded my statement with "...a likely non-Cup winning team." Each summer presents a cast of teams that are more likely to win the Cup next season than others. Is Ottawa just a Vlad Tarasenko away from winning the Cup in '24? Are the Hurricanes? I think he has a better chance of winning the Cup next season with the Hurricanes than with the Sens.

Ya know TDA was a positive player for the Canes last time around. So much so that he signed a big fat contract the next year in spite of his baggage - and promptly got bought out. At the rate they’re talking about he’s a bargain. That doesn’t mean you can count on him as a shutdown D but I don’t get all the angst. You also can’t count on Burnsie at his age to continue to rack up huge minutes at a very high level and not miss time due to injury. At 1.6 per you can put him on the third line or even scratch him depending on matchups. There’s no chance the management sees him as a replacement for Pesce. I also think that as good as 22 has been for us - the next contract he signs is likely to be a mistake for whoever signs him. He’s not stellar offensively and he’s benefitted from playing as a shutdown D on a team with Slavin and Jordo with Roddie as coach. He’s racked a lot of miles and has taken his share of punishment. I’m concerned he’s not going to age well. He’s gonna get paid - good on him - but this is a situation where I like managements approach. They have an amount in mind and if he wants more then thanks for the years and memories and best of luck to you.

I have too distinct a memory of TDA melting down to the point of ineffectiveness against the Rangers in the Playoffs, when it matterd most. Frankly, I appreciated his contributions, but wasn't sad to see him go. To me, He seems more like a placeholder (JR-type signing) than what Don Waddell might want to sign. Oh, well...not my call & what do I know anyway?

Jim

It’s a one year deal at a very affordable cap number, the guy will easily put up 35-40 points and give the Canes another PP option. If he behaves himself like he did last time here he is a warm body at a fair price on the right side for the regular season that might not even see much playoff action if they add more D at the trade deadline. Just as a comparison…John Klingberg is a right shot, offensive D that got like $4.75m on a one year deal and is worse defensively and provides next to no physical play. Canes are getting good value for that $1.65…in the grand scheme of NHL defense costs.

Not thrilled with Mr. Headcase but if RBA didn’t want him, he wouldn’t be here— I guess there’s that. I suspect Chatfield has found his path for his next contract— babysit TDA and cover his defensive liabilities. Both are UFAs at the end of the season.

The PP started to suck before the playoffs. In the first 53 games, through March 1, the PP converted at 25.5%, 4th in the league. Over the last 29 games, it was 14.7%, 28th in the league. It was 13.9% (5 for 36) against in the Bruins and 11.1% (2 for 18) against the Rangers in playoffs, so the downward trend continued.

Last edited:
I suspect:
Slavin - Burns
Orlov - DeAngelo
Skjei - Chatfield

I'm kinda pleased with the TDA signing at a really reasonable $$$ figure. Would EK65 have been much more productive for around $9 millions?
Now figure out how to get Nylander for less than that $9 mil. and make it so. And if so, barring a disaster, Lord Stanley should reside here for at least another year and maybe longer. With Tarasenko maybe fer sure with Willy Nylly.

I wouldn’t day he disappeared in the post season, he just put his head in his ass and made stupid decisions when he got butthurt. He averaged 0.79 ppg (10g, 41a) in the regular season and 0.71 ppg. (1g, 10a) in the post season. If he can just learn (fingers….and toes crossed) to keep his cool he’ll be fine. I’m fine with this signing, especially for those terms.

TDA is an emotional player, but not in a good way— he’s reactive and struggles to keep his head. When he can’t, it costs the team and he becomes a liability.

I wouldn’t day he disappeared in the post season, he just put his head in his ass and made stupid decisions when he got butthurt. He averaged 0.79 ppg (10g, 41a) in the regular season and 0.71 ppg. (1g, 10a) in the post season. If he can just learn (fingers….and toes crossed) to keep his cool he’ll be fine. I’m fine with this signing, especially for those terms.
This. He had a couple of terrible games in the New York series, and otherwise played pretty well in the playoffs in 2021 Same for the regular season, really. He had a couple of weird nights but otherwise played pretty well as a baseline and very, very well on nights when he was feeling it. DeAngelo is probably the most divisive player Carolina has ever had, although I'm not discounting Ozolinsh. In both cases, you can easily make a case for either side of the ledger. As for learning/growing, man ... I dunno. I don't have high hopes, but for $1.6 million on a short deal, it's not like you can't make him go away if he ends up being a problem.

So I guess the general consensus is that from here, the Canes will look to move Pesce for a forward ... right? I mean, it makes sense. So much so that it makes me wonder what other options there might be. Because this front office doesn't really ever do stuff that makes mainstream sense. For the clock watchers in the crowd, I think we might need to see that contract extension for Aho before the Canes make any other moves.

So I guess the general consensus is that from here, the Canes will look to move Pesce for a forward ... right? I mean, it makes sense. So much so that it makes me wonder what other options there might be. Because this front office doesn't really ever do stuff that makes mainstream sense. For the clock watchers in the crowd, I think we might need to see that contract extension for Aho before the Canes make any other moves.
Yes - this is my thought as well. We need an extra forward more than we need another defender, especially if we can get one that has some offensive upside. But first we need to secure Aho's contract as part of our core baseline.

This. He had a couple of terrible games in the New York series, and otherwise played pretty well in the playoffs in 2021 Same for the regular season, really. He had a couple of weird nights but otherwise played pretty well as a baseline and very, very well on nights when he was feeling it. DeAngelo is probably the most divisive player Carolina has ever had, although I'm not discounting Ozolinsh. In both cases, you can easily make a case for either side of the ledger. As for learning/growing, man ... I dunno. I don't have high hopes, but for $1.6 million on a short deal, it's not like you can't make him go away if he ends up being a problem.

Marek Malik also says hi... boy there were a lot of people who really hated that guy.

I don't dispute TDA is fine with the puck on his stick, it's the dumpster fire when the puck is on the stick of the guys in the other jerseys that's the problem... no big revelation to anyone here, I know. Hope it works out and the pluses outweigh the minuses and the indirect drag he'll have on his D-zone minder.

Marek Malik also says hi... boy there were a lot of people who really hated that guy.

I don't dispute TDA is fine with the puck on his stick, it's the dumpster fire when the puck is on the stick of the guys in the other jerseys that's the problem... no big revelation to anyone here, I know. Hope it works out and the pluses outweigh the minuses and the indirect drag he'll have on his D-zone minder.
Malik ... yeah, once he stopped regularly kicking the puck into his own net, I feel like Malik started to grow on even his detractors.

That reminds me ... you see where we're heading with this defense group, right? Rutherford's dream scenario. One defensive minded guy and one puck mover on each pairing. Will it work? God alone knows.

I think that not only makes the most sense now but also the most prudent decision financially long term if they can trade Pesce for a forward with a decent amount of term. So you might start looking again at forwards that may have been mentioned in the past as possible trade bait...Brock Boeser or Conner Garland in Vancouver, Willie Nylander in Toronto, Alex Tuch in Buffalo, Mark Schiefele in Winnipeg...some of those guys priced high or needing an extension...some a bit more affordable. It might be a top six pairing on D of Slavin/Burns, Orlov/Chatfield and Skjei/TDA.

Well, the only two on that list that have been linked to interest in Pesce are Buffalo and Toronto. We've plowed all the Nylander ground before, I think. Like all Leafs players he comes with "buts" ... let's be honest though. He's a legit, young but experienced Top 6 winger. Period. Buffalo? I'm not doing that deal straight up for Alex Tuch even though I like him. Honestly, we've got a lot of guys like him already, so Tuch doesn't really move the needle, unless you're one of those people who think he's gonna be a 30 goal scorer for the rest of his life because he did it once. I'm not, and since they aren't moving Thompson or Cozens anytime soon, I don't see Buffalo as a particularly good trade partner unless it's a 3 way deal.

Honestly ... if you're getting back a player who doesn't add something to the Top 6 I don't see the point of any of this.

Are we at a place to really, truly contend for the CUP this season, not just soon? We can expect Bunting w/20-25 goals, Svech & Aho with 30-35, maybe Jarvis & Necas w/20+, KK, Staal, Fast, M'nook, Noesen, Turbo, Burns, Skjei, TDA: 10-15+..., add it up... yet we here don't make decisions just want lists.

What will it take to get another forward (prob'ly no on Karlsson) who can be relied on for 30-35-40+ goals (those are the only points that matter for games/wins). Tarasenko should produce 25 or so but Donnie Waddle says he can't even afford him, duh? There's only one that could be a sure thing that the FO could find a way in trades (maybe more than just one partner)...

Just my 2-cents that might be an overpayment. I jes' gotta rant!

Back