• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

I just read the Canes traded Rizzo to Philly for a guy named Kase. The Flyers really must have wanted him as he was the prospect mentioned earlier in the TDA trade. The Canes get another guy with the last name of Kase. 🤷‍♂️

Canes trade Massimo Rizzo and our 2025 5th round pick to the Flyers for Winger David Kase.

David Kase was a 2015 5th round pick by the Flyers. He has played 7 NHL games and has 1 goal. 5'11 170lb. He played the last 2 seasons in the Czech league, posting 10 goals and 27 assists over 68 games across those 2 seasons.

I don't understand the why here, other than supposedly we were trading Rizzo to the Flyers for TDA, until we didn't and that David is the younger brother of Ondrej. The only thing I can come up with here is that we promised Briere a 'future consideration' for pulling out of the TDA trade. I suspect the Canes made a conditional future consideration handshake agreement to trade the Flyers Rizzo if the Flyers bought out TDA and the Canes signed him. The real value in doing that would be to have the Canes remain in Briere's good graces, for the cost of a very long shot prospect.

Right now David Kase is not under NHL contract and he will become a UFA on June 30, 2024. I doubt the Canes sign him, he seems like just a body to include in this trade because something needs to come the other way.

If you are wondering how the Canes grade out Rizzo's potential as an NHL prospect, there is your answer. We gave him away for nothing more than showing the Flyers some respect after not completing the trade for TDA.

Last edited:
I read it saved the Canes some $$$.

Ondřej only played 1 game as a Cane, but I got $50 that'll still be more than his brother.

Scott Wheeler had Rizzo as the Canes 14th ranked prospect. So GMDW and Tulsky must have held him in the same regard.

I read it saved the Canes some $$$.

Ondřej only played 1 game as a Cane, but I got $50 that'll still be more than his brother.
Having the Flyers buy out TDA and then the Canes signing him as a UFA saved the Canes money and Cap hit. I don't think this Rizzo and a 5th for David Kase impacts the Canes financially at all, neither player has an NHL contract. If you really want to stretch things, getting rid of Rizzo means we don't have to stitch a jersey for him for next year's prospect camp or feed him. I don't expect David Kase to set foot in North America in the role of a pro hockey player.

I don't think there is any financial savings with the trade the Canes made today other than incidentals the Canes pay for when Rizzo is at our prospect camp.

If you really want to stretch things, getting rid of Rizzo means we don't have to stitch a jersey for him for next year's prospect camp or feed him.

Stitching is $90 at Carolina Pro Shop... $90 is $90.
;)

I don't understand the why here, other than supposedly we were trading Rizzo to the Flyers for TDA, until we didn't and that David is the younger brother of Ondrej. The only thing I can come up with here is that we promised Briere a 'future consideration' for pulling out of the TDA trade. I suspect the Canes made a conditional future consideration handshake agreement to trade the Flyers Rizzo if the Flyers bought out TDA and the Canes signed him. The real value in doing that would be to have the Canes remain in Briere's good graces, for the cost of a very long shot prospect.
I'd rate the chances of this being the case as north of 90%. This makes sense in the context of an unspoken future consideration and doesn't in virtually any other context. And for me it's probably more about Carolina making a promise and sticking to it, rather than anything to do with Philly or Briere specifically. Screwing over other front offices is bad for business, even if it's over low stakes stuff.

Well, depth? Jones can be fully buried in the minors if he clears waivers. But where in the minors?

I guess he is more trustworthy as a defender than Coghlan is as our #7 (after Pesce is traded without a Dman in return).

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Orlov
Chatfield-TDA

Jones at #7, Coghlan at #8?

Do you think the Hurricanes might load manage the lower tier D? Save 'em up for the playoffs? Or just purely for depth?

This is from a Luke DeCock column, which is behind the paywall. But the redevelopment around the arena and a new lease could be wrapped up on Tuesday.

The Centennial Authority, which oversees the arena, scheduled a special meeting for Tuesday morning to “hear from the Authority’s Consultant regarding arena lease negotiations and vote on two (2) term sheets,” which are believed to be a new long-term lease with the Hurricanes and an agreement to allow Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon to convert what is now 80 acres of parking lots and undeveloped land into a multiuse development that could change the face of West Raleigh.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article278149812.html#storylink=cpy

This is from a Luke DeCock column, which is behind the paywall. But the redevelopment around the arena and a new lease could be wrapped up on Tuesday.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article278149812.html#storylink=cpy
Is Dundon putting a top golf on that parcel?

Also, on my road trip I noticed every top golf in SC, GA and Fl is right next to an interstate, like literally adjacent. Planned that way or quirky coincidence?

Back