• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Is he cooked? Done? Forget about him now?
He's 24 and has less than 25 NHL games under his belt, so ... no, probably not and definitely not.

Let's face it. If this team didn't have hardware ambitions, then Kochetkov would probably be the backup instead of Raanta and you'd let him play his way into form. But they do have ambitions, so they have a veteran backup and will only have patience with Koochie to the extent that he's not hurting the club or to the extent that somebody else is hurt and they need a warm body. Being that it's October, this is hardly some sort of grand statement other than ... go back to the A and get your mess together, because we'll probably need you later on in the season. But yeah, play like you did in those last two games and you're not sticking around with the big club.

Furthermore, if both he and Raanta continue to flounder they way they have early on, then I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canes make a move for another backup.

Yeah, at times the kid shows he has incredible talent and reflexes - but he hasn't yet shown that he can step up to be a reliable NHLer. I agree that we need to be patient, but with the continuing health and performance concerns of our two other goalies, this situation could become a serious problem for this season and in the future.

Kochetkov really needs to show that he can be more reliable or else they'll end up moving him. I love his spirit and his upside, but he's just here at the wrong time for patience.

Andrei Svechnikov is practicing today. In a white jersey. Not yellow. And then he took a deflected puck to the face. A perfect metaphor for how the season has gone so far.

Last edited:
Here's my reverse logic: We've started bang out of the gate the past couple of years and then levelled off (or declined) late in the season. This year, we sputtering early, so maybe....

Here's my reverse logic: We've started bang out of the gate the past couple of years and then levelled off (or declined) late in the season. This year, we sputtering early, so maybe....
Not everything has to be about the big picture, but that comes from focusing almost exclusively on the bigger prizes I guess. It's all a process and how it ends up has way more to do with stuff nobody can control in October than anybody wants to admit. I know this much - if this team keeps leaking goals like this, none of the big picture stuff matters. So, once they manage to get that bleeding stopped, THEN I'll start being concerned with the bigger prizes.

Per Walt Ruff, here is how they’re practicing. Pesce is still out.

Aho - Teravainen - Jarvis
Bunting - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Svechnikov - Drury - Noesen (Lemieux)

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - DeAngelo
Orlov - Chatfield (Coghlan)

All three goalies are on the ice.

File this under “ugh”.

RBA said Pesce’s injury is “bad news”. He said it’s much longer than week to week. So get ready for a steady diet of TDA.

File this under “ugh”.

RBA said Pesce’s injury is “bad news”. He said it’s much longer than week to week. So get ready for a steady diet of TDA.
On the upside, they can get a sense of life without him ...

File this under “ugh”.

And so it begins again...another year of big dreams soiled with long term injuries to key players...we have watched that movie before...

Back