• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Dramatic early improvement from Drury as well. He was pretty bad in the face off circle last year, and really bad situationally but has come a long, long way this season. He's been a bit snake-bitten offensively but his positional game has been good and when he's been playing with disciplined wingers he's been good in the D zone as well.

Lines at practice today. Svech moves into the top 6, but the 4th line is going to create some controversy. There is a lot of teeth gnashing on Walt Ruff’s Twitter feed about it.

Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis
Bunting - Kotkaniemi - Teravainen
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Noesen - Drury - Necas

So, they'd be happier if Brindy "demoted" Turbo ... the leading goal scorer? I love all the absolute fantasists on Twitter. This season is going to have a million line combos and people are going to have to check their prejudgements or else they're gonna go nuts.

This was always going to be a thing with 7 top 6 forwards available.

Someone has to play on 'line 4' if you are keeping Martinook-Staal-Fast together. After the way they closed out that Monday night game with a suffocating grinding shift in the Flyers zone, it would honestly be criminal to break that line up.

In all honesty, the top 6 forward who ends up on line 4 is going to have serious mismatches to take advantage of.

This was always going to be a thing with 7 top 6 forwards available.

Someone has to play on 'line 4' if you are keeping Martinook-Staal-Fast together. After the way they closed out that Monday night game with a suffocating grinding shift in the Flyers zone, it would honestly be criminal to break that line up.

In all honesty, the top 6 forward who ends up on line 4 is going to have serious mismatches to take advantage of.
I think Teravainen could work on Staal’s line, so I’d go with the below. But we know that RBA would rather cut off his right arm than break up MSF. And you’re also taking the guy that is currently the leading goal scorer and moving him to the bottom 6.

Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis
Bunting - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Teravainen
Noesen - Drury - Fast

I mean, it's not just Brindy playing favorites or anything. When the Canes play their best, that Staal line gives them the traction by throwing in just death grip shifts against top lines. I'm not saying you never break that up, but you need a better reason than "Canes Twitter is losing their minds ... again"

Honestly most of those people are the freaking worst anyway. I rarely interact on Hockey X/Twitter and when I do it's almost always with one of y'all. You kind have to be a reactionary idiot to get any traction on that platform.

People are missing the point that we have 7-8 top 6 guys; that's a GOOD problem to have.
If the 4th line becomes more dangerous on the offensive end (felt bad for Jackie Boy) then other teams have to deal with that. It's a win-win for the Canes IMHO

Well, I suppose the youth leagues around could use another bag of pucks, so go for it, make that trade

If they really are thinking of moving DeAngelo, would it not make sense to start using Orlov more on the power play? Not saying I don't buy it, but that rumor does have the whiff of "that's what I'd do." Plus, as noted, the market for him is VERY limited. He's burned half the bridges in the league.

If they really are thinking of moving DeAngelo, would it not make sense to start using Orlov more on the power play? Not saying I don't buy it, but that rumor does have the whiff of "that's what I'd do." Plus, as noted, the market for him is VERY limited. He's burned half the bridges in the league.
Send him to San Jose. For future considerations.

The Canes are bringing in goalie Jaro Halak on a PTO. Freddie Andersen is dealing with an unspecified medical issue and undergoing evaluations.

The Canes are bringing in goalie Jaro Halak on a PTO. Freddie Andersen is dealing with an unspecified medical issue and undergoing evaluations.

I mean, if Freddie just has Covid or the Flu or whatever, this makes some sense. Kochetkov was brutal in that last callup and is just now getting his feet under him in Syracuse. Better to let him get going for real without all the bouncing around, and Halak can backup well enough. My bigger concern would be getting Raanta a little more settled. He's had some flashes but hasn't really been projecting confidence in net thus far

I mean, if Freddie just has Covid or the Flu or whatever, this makes some sense. Kochetkov was brutal in that last callup and is just now getting his feet under him in Syracuse. Better to let him get going for real without all the bouncing around, and Halak can backup well enough. My bigger concern would be getting Raanta a little more settled. He's had some flashes but hasn't really been projecting confidence in net thus far
Based on the wording of the statement, I think it’s more serious than the flu.

Halak played 25 games for the Rangers last season and was 2.72/.903.

DeCock with some more details. To see “not imminently life-threatening” puts a different spin on it.

They should rename IR to the AndersonRaanta Memorial Injured list. Those dudes get hurt blowing their nose

Edit - just saw the Luke thing. All jokes aside, hope Freddie is ok

Back