• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Weird thing I've noticed with this year's NHL/Canes app.. From the ticket pages, I add my tickets and parking pass to Google Wallet so I'm not dependent on signal on-site, and I used to be able to add both tickets and parking pass without getting bounced out after adding one, just using back button to get to list of tickets again... this year it takes me all the way back out to where I have to pick to see my tickets again, then pick the event date again, then pick the 2nd seat (or the parking pass ticket) ... a lot more clicks(taps) to get the same job done this year.

Which is all very weird since the Canes' app worked fine back before the NHL took over operation of all team apps back about 5 years ago. FWIW, the part that seems to be hanging up is the interface with the Ticketmaster site. Everything else works fine for me.

Lesson learned I guess. Went in yesterday to look at any seats (via vouchers) thru the end of the year and basically they are all already gone. Don’t have an issue with the increase in sales basically phasing these out but not really a benefit anymore I guess.

There are so few exchange games now, you need to get your vouchers and any ticket exchanges done early or you are out of luck. Better to exchange early and make sure you have something for the vouchers which you can only exchange for tix in the same price level. You can exchange the vouchers and then exchange the tickets later on (if there are any exchanges left later on). They don't let you sell the tickets you get via the vouchers via ticketmaster, but worst case you can give them away or sell them on another app.

Fortunately for me I was looking for single seats for my vouchers, so it was easy for me to find them. But I exchanged them all weeks ago.

I just signed in and exchanged my 6 vouchers for this year and did a game exchange for 2 more tix; 8 in total. I had to not be picky for sure; I lost a bit of value on my 2 for trade-in and 2 of the 6 vouchers; the other 4 vouchers I was splitting 1 and 3 so those can be easier to find than pairs.

Last edited:
Who else remembers Greg Koehler? There is an article on The Athletic today about him. He officially had the shortest career in NHL history, 1 game, 4 seconds. He was called up from IHL Cincinnati for a game in Columbus. Maurice put him in the 4th line. We remember who much Mo played his 4th line, right? Koehler goes out for his first shift, crosses the blue line and Ron Francis gets hooked. Penalty to Columbus, shift over. 4 seconds, 8 strides. He was sent back to Cincinnati a week later, never appearing in another game. He scored 35 goals for the Cyclones that season and had 18 in Lowell in 56 games the next season before he was traded to the Flyers for Jesse Boulerice.

Mo was something else back in those days. He would literally run 3 lines into the ground and play 4th liners less than a minute some nights. And if you were a rookie up for a cup of coffee? 4th line for you no matter what your skill set.

Who else remembers Greg Koehler? There is an article on The Athletic today about him. He officially had the shortest career in NHL history, 1 game, 4 seconds. He was called up from IHL Cincinnati for a game in Columbus. Maurice put him in the 4th line. We remember who much Mo played his 4th line, right? Koehler goes out for his first shift, crosses the blue line and Ron Francis gets hooked. Penalty to Columbus, shift over. 4 seconds, 8 strides. He was sent back to Cincinnati a week later, never appearing in another game. He scored 35 goals for the Cyclones that season and had 18 in Lowell in 56 games the next season before he was traded to the Flyers for Jesse Boulerice.

Who could forget The Faucet? He had a good enough run in the minors that people kept talking about him for callups, but he was probably in the wrong organization at the wrong time ... as noted. I seem to recall that he was always good in pre season camp too. Mo's Canes were an unforgiving environment for a young forward.

Mo was something else back in those days. He would literally run 3 lines into the ground and play 4th liners less than a minute some nights. And if you were a rookie up for a cup of coffee? 4th line for you no matter what your skill set.
And dmen Snuggles Tanabe and Tomas Malec were regulars on his 4th line too.

This was a fantastic piece and a great reminder of why I pay for a subscription to The Athletic.

Walt Ruff reports that "Sportico released its 2023 NHL Valuations Ranking on Wednesday and the Canes were up a whopping 59% from this time last year." The franchise is now worth an estimated $980 million. While that puts as at #24 in the league, it's all relative. He goes on to say, "When Tom Dundon became the majority owner in January 2018, Forbes' latest ranking had Carolina valued at $230 million - dead last in the NHL."

You wonder where that valuation might sit after all of the 'upgrades and build-out around the arena' are finished.

I mean, this is all great and everything, but the market for franchises is largely set by the actual sale price of comparable franchises in the same league. So, Carolina's evaluation has a lot to do with the price for the Senators' sale.

Lines and pairings at practice. No Fast, assuming it’s a maintenance day. All 3 goalies are on the ice.

Jarvis - Aho - Necas
Svechnikov - Kotkaniemi - Teravainen
Martinook - Staal - Lemieux
Bunting - Drury - Noesen

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - Pesce/DeAngelo
Orlov - Chatfield

In his post-practice presser, RBA confirmed that Fast was out for a maintenance day. He also said Pesce will be traveling and is a game time decision.

Has there been any hints at all as to exactly what Pesce's lower body injury actually was? Surgery followed by just 2-4 weeks recovery, broken toe maybe?

Has there been any hints at all as to exactly what Pesce's lower body injury actually was? Surgery followed by just 2-4 weeks recovery, broken toe maybe?
Sounds to me like something that could be treated with a plate (or bar) and/or screws ... so yeah, fracture of some sort, probably. Foot, lower leg, whatever. At the time it was speculated that he took a shot off the leg, so that would add up.

Back