• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Ah ... DeAngelo and Lemieux. Matched set in the "what were they thinking" column.

If they do bench Tony, it's gonna tick off the guy who sits behind me at the arena. Some people have it bad for that clown.

Ah ... DeAngelo and Lemieux. Matched set in the "what were they thinking" column.

If they do bench Tony, it's gonna tick off the guy who sits behind me at the arena. Some people have it bad for that clown.
Here's hoping the guy behind you stays ticked off for a long, long time. How in the ever-living [Polar's word] can GMDW and RBA evaluate Phony DeAngelo over Chatfield and come up with any resonable answer other than Chatfield? Better effort, more skill, solid defender, more production, more heart, more desire, less coocoo for cocoa puffs... Somebody please reach out and help me on this one. What am I missing, exactly?

Jim

Here's hoping the guy behind you stays ticked off for a long, long time. How in the ever-living [Polar's word] can GMDW and RBA evaluate Phony DeAngelo over Chatfield and come up with any resonable answer other than Chatfield? Better effort, more skill, solid defender, more production, more heart, more desire, less coocoo for cocoa puffs... Somebody please reach out and help me on this one. What am I missing, exactly?

Jim
He's a 30-something year old brat of a human being, so he'll find something to be angry about.

All present and accounted for at practice, per Walt Ruff. They flipped Svech and Necas on the PP units.

All present and accounted for at practice, per Walt Ruff. They flipped Svech and Necas on the PP units.
They should probably flip more than that. Those units were all kinds of out of synch last night, and Slavin STILL processes the puck too slowly to run a power play. Why they insist on that experiment every freaking season is beyond me.

Ready for top line Bredan Lemieux?

Just kidding. Svech had a maintenance day at practice and Lemieux took his spot. But RBA kept the lines from the end of the game, so we should see Svech/Aho/Jarvis and The 80s Line from the start tomorrow.

That's a heavy play. Svech playing with Aho and Jarvis pegs every needle on the fancy stats meters while that line with Turbo setting up Kotkaniemi and Necas has been quite effective in small doses.

On hold a lot today, so cruising through some stats ...

Can we talk about Pesce for a minute? As in, how downright meh he's been this season. His numbers in the D zone are well below Skjei's and his offensive numbers are circling the drain. That pair is still getting heavy usage, and is asked to do a lot of the heavy defensive lifting, but his partner has been carrying Pesce in pretty much every measurable way ... and by a considerable margin. Summing it up with the Game Score, which kind of aggregates everything ... Pesce is a +8.95, compared to DeAngelo at +7.8 and Chatfield at +6.60. Every other defenseman is plus double digits and Slavin is +23 and change

He was a turnover machine against Columbus which was what got me checking. If Pesce really does want to make bank this summer, he better pick it up here shortly. It would help the Canes as well, which is all I care about.

On hold a lot today, so cruising through some stats ...

Can we talk about Pesce for a minute? As in, how downright meh he's been this season. His numbers in the D zone are well below Skjei's and his offensive numbers are circling the drain. That pair is still getting heavy usage, and is asked to do a lot of the heavy defensive lifting, but his partner has been carrying Pesce in pretty much every measurable way ... and by a considerable margin. Summing it up with the Game Score, which kind of aggregates everything ... Pesce is a +8.95, compared to DeAngelo at +7.8 and Chatfield at +6.60. Every other defenseman is plus double digits and Slavin is +23 and change

He was a turnover machine against Columbus which was what got me checking. If Pesce really does want to make bank this summer, he better pick it up here shortly. It would help the Canes as well, which is all I care about.
Has he even contributed much in either end of the ice all year because he’s really gone unnoticed for the most part. Tough sledding in a contract year when most guys step up looking for that bank you mentioned.

Has he even contributed much in either end of the ice all year because he’s really gone unnoticed for the most part. Tough sledding in a contract year when most guys step up looking for that bank you mentioned.
Is he really over that injury from the start of the year?

Not that I've noticed while watching, and not according to the stats. Skjei is having all sorts of game impacts, but Pesce has mostly just been along for the ride. To the point where I'm starting to wonder whether that Skjei/Orlov combo we saw for a little bit wouldn't work better.

Not that I've noticed while watching, and not according to the stats. Skjei is having all sorts of game impacts, but Pesce has mostly just been along for the ride. To the point where I'm starting to wonder whether that Skjei/Orlov combo we saw for a little bit wouldn't work better.
He picked a bad year to have a bad year.

He picked a bad year to have a bad year.
He really did. Looks to me like he slimmed down a bit, probably looking to increase his mobility, but who knows how that lower leg injury hampered those plans. He's chasing the game out there right now, and that doesn't work at this level.

Someone is still going to pay Pesce close to $6 million per even if this season's underlying numbers say that isn't a smart investment. One thing I know for sure is that the Canes are not going to be paying him more than $5 million per. If he wants to play for the Canes beyond this season, he is going to need to take less money to do so. I don't expect he is going to do that (which I definitely understand).

I'm pretty much resigned to Pesce playing elsewhere next season. I'm a bit more intrigued by Skjei's situation, because his offensive production is going to play really well in the free agent market if he gets to the point. If he goes for 10 goals and 40 points (he is actually on pace for 12 Goals and 45 assists at the moment for 57 points) he is going to get himself paid at least $7 million per. Those offensive numbers are even more impressive considering he doesn't play on the PP. Again I don't expect the Canes to be high bidder for Skjei. With more cap room available next season, some good team will see Skjei as a big time 2nd pair upgrade and throw $7.5-$8 million per at him. The Canes won't go that high.

Signing Orlov was important to hedge against both Skjei and Pesce leaving after this season. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out with Turbo, Pesce, Skjei, Martinook (would he really not resign here for the same or a bit less money?), Chatfield and Noesen all UFAs. Then of course you have Jarvis and Necas as RFAs. If you look at it from a perspective of the Canes possibly not retaining any of Turbo, Skjei or Pesce, that is $14.7 million in cap space freed up to fill those holes. The Canes have a lot of cap space to play with next season.

Just to throw some stats out there to back up the 'Brady Skjei is going to get paid more than $7 million per' argument, here are some numbers to consider.

These are over the past 2 seasons + the first 20 games of this season.

Skjei is:

12th in the NHL in Even Strength points by Dmen. Tied with Adam Fox. (Justin Faulk is 7th by the way...)

3rd in the NHL in Even Strength goals by Dmen. Behind only Cale Makar and Erik Karlsson. (Justin Faulk is 4th)

Skjei going to be looking for over $7 million per, and he is going to get it (somewhere).

Just to throw some stats out there to back up the 'Brady Skjei is going to get paid more than $7 million per' argument, here are some numbers to consider.

These are over the past 2 seasons + the first 20 games of this season.

Skjei is:

12th in the NHL in Even Strength points by Dmen. Tied with Adam Fox. (Justin Faulk is 7th by the way...)

3rd in the NHL in Even Strength goals by Dmen. Behind only Cale Makar and Erik Karlsson. (Justin Faulk is 4th)

Skjei going to be looking for over $7 million per, and he is going to get it (somewhere).
The fancy stats are even better than the traditional ones. He's out-pacing Burns in expected goals and is just behind him and Slavin in Game Score. He's not turning the puck over, the shot suppression is still there and he's making smart decisions on the pinch. He's hitting a career year at the best possible time, especially if the shots drop for him a bit better as the year goes on. Remember, he's good for at least one molten lava hot streak per season and hasn't had a lot of puck luck so far.

The Canes will need to pay for scoring and that’s not coming consistently from the forward group. I’d hate to lose Skeij and be forced to “make do.” I know Waddell likes to pull bunnies from his hat and sign a UFA, but this team shouldn’t be losing scoring.

Back