• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

One thing about Skeij - the guy never seems to get tired. He can play many minutes and stay on the ice longer than most players without seeming to miss a beat. That bodes well for his longevity in this league. During the intermission interview between periods on Sunday at PNC, the guy looked like he just stepped off the street.

Jesse Granger has a piece in The Athletic this morning on teams needing goalies and speculates about the Sharks' Kappo Kähkönen being a fit for us...

FYI, Kähkönen has a cap hit of $2.75 million for this season and is a pending UFA.
As press matchmaking goes, that's strong work by Granger.

You just know the Canes really want to avoid having to make a goalie trade. Bringing in another guy isn't any guarantee of anything the way goalies are, especially with the names being thrown around.

You want to go big? Really really big? Figure out a package to pry Saros loose from Nashville (he actually hasn't been great this season so far either... .900 Sv%).

James Reimer? We saw that movie already. It had some good parts but it wasn't very memorable overall and I don't care to watch it again.

Last edited:
You just know the Canes really want to avoid having to make a goalie trade. Bringing in another guy isn't any guarantee of anything the way goalies are, especially with the names being thrown around.

You want to go big? Really really big? Figure out a package to pry Saros loose from Nashville.

There isn’t a package big enough. (That’s what she said)

Saros in a deal would scare most on what that package would look like! Most NHL goalies any more outside of a handful are Jekyl and Hyde from one year to the next. There might be what 6-7 sure bets in net and then who knows after that. Is Boston really going to continue to carry two what appear to be legit NHL starters? The one intriguing thing about Nashville is they do have Askarov as the supposedly next big thing in net…if he was ready to take over the Preds net then moving out Saros does have some legs at some point, especially if they fall out of any playoff chance.

You want to go big? Really really big? Figure out a package to pry Saros loose from Nashville (he actually hasn't been great this season so far either... .900 Sv%).

James Reimer? We saw that movie already. It had some good parts but it wasn't very memorable overall and I don't care to watch it again.
FWIW, Reimer has played pretty well this season ... mocking about his reflexively ducking on that shot a couple of weeks ago aside. He played really well for the Sharks in 21-22 before falling off a cliff with the rest of their roster last season. You could do a heck of a lot worse than Reimer, especially for a partial season cameo in a platoon role. Otherwise you're just looking for a guy who's a good shot blocker that might benefit from seeing less shots.

Saros? I mean, sure ... if you're willing to part with Necas, Pesce and a 1st. Maybe. And heck, it might be worth it. I'm not 100% convinced that it wouldn't be. Also, it's worth noting that it's not in Nashville's corporate DNA to give up good players if they're even loosely in touch with the wildcard race. They are, so this is probably a moot point.

Last edited:
The PNC renovations have already taken a hit. When the building was built, money was spent reinforcing the foundation around the north loading dock to allow for the future expansion on that side. The plan was to relocate the Canes offices from the south side, where they face Carter Finley. The cost of building out that space came in at $45 - 65 million so those plans were shelved. So they have that money to spend elsewhere.

Waddell also confirmed that the Canes purchase of Backyard Bistro will close before the end of the year.

The PNC renovations have already taken a hit. When the building was built, money was spent reinforcing the foundation around the north loading dock to allow for the future expansion on that side. The plan was to relocate the Canes offices from the south side, where they face Carter Finley. The cost of building out that space came in at $45 - 65 million so those plans were shelved. So they have that money to spend elsewhere.

Waddell also confirmed that the Canes purchase of Backyard Bistro will close before the end of the year.
No shock that the office footage was the first thing to go when trying to trim the budget. They barely fill the space they have now and spending money on more square footage was always sort of dumb. I was honestly surprised that was still in the master plan.

No shock that the office footage was the first thing to go when trying to trim the budget. They barely fill the space they have now and spending money on more square footage was always sort of dumb. I was honestly surprised that was still in the master plan.
I’m not sure it was more square footage as it was a desire to make more desirable space available for other uses. If you’re creating public space, would you rather have a view of Carter Finley or the north parking lot? And those floors are serviced by elevators directly off the box office and VIP lobby, making external access easier if they were turned into public spaces.

Back