• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Their problem is the old IHL stopped existing after 2000-01 season. That's more suited to what they want to do, but there's scant few cities where that model will work anymore.

Their problem is the old IHL stopped existing after 2000-01 season. That's more suited to what they want to do, but there's scant few cities where that model will work anymore.
The thing is ... in Chicago with a healthy fan base and a local TV/Radio deal, it's just about do-able. Problem being, having one team operate as a pirate skiff while the others function as purely affiliates doesn't work in the long run. Everybody knows it, but the AHL is too weak to put their foot down and stop it. Carolina just ended up being the odd team out when the pin fell out of the grenade.

Right, and the IHL was perfect for that model, but the Wolves can't play in a 1- team league, so they better figure out how to get along in the A.

The roster is down to 29 players, Perets was assigned to Norfolk. So 6 cuts left. Ponomarov, Svech and maybe SuzukI probably start the season on IR. Jones cleared waivers so he can be assigned somewhere. Fensore is still on the roster, Tripp was singing his praises on the broadcast on Friday, but he’s gonna get assigned somewhere. That leaves 1 more player. Unger Sorum? Coghlan? Kochetkov?

Edit: opening day rosters and cap compliance are due on Monday at 5 pm Eastern.

Last edited:
None of FUS, Fensore, Ponomarov, Suzuki or Jones were on the ice for practice. So assuming Svech starts the season on IR, that’s the roster.

Suzuki suffered a “not serious” shoulder injury on Thursday and is expected to be out at least a week.

Another downside to the missing AHL affiliate? The Wings signed Zach Aston-Reese to a 1 year, 2 way contract, $775k/$300k with a $350k guarantee. He’d have been a perfect signing for the Canes.

Suzuki continues to be made of fine china. And if they had wanted Aston-Reese they could have made room for him. Fans might see a good fit, but if that was so they'd have made him fit. I'm not gonna get broken up about him signing somewhere else, and you have to question why he was available for a PTO in the first place if Toronto was going to eventually sign him anyway. They could have done that deal a month ago.

Coghlan is on waivers, so that’s likely the last move. It looks like Unger Sorum might break camp with the team, 13 F, 7 D, 3 goalies
Coghlan might actually get claimed if one of the garbage teams needs a cheap-ish PP guy.

Suzuki continues to be made of fine china. And if they had wanted Aston-Reese they could have made room for him. Fans might see a good fit, but if that was so they'd have made him fit. I'm not gonna get broken up about him signing somewhere else, and you have to question why he was available for a PTO in the first place if Toronto was going to eventually sign him anyway. They could have done that deal a month ago.
I’m not broken up about it, I just think he’d have been a good fit for a Canes AHL team. The Wings put him on waivers to send him to Grand Rapids.

Kochetkov was loaned to the Syracuse Crunch, the Lightning AHL affiliate. With Vasilevskiy out, they needed a goalie.

Kochetkov was loaned to the Syracuse Crunch, the Lightning AHL affiliate. With Vasilevskiy out, they needed a goalie.
Is Tampa seriously not going to get another goalie? Because ... it's fine with me if they suck, but it seems like an unhealthy level of optimism to assume you can get by with that collection of dreck until the big cat comes back. IF the big cat comes back.

Coghlan will be easy to place on some AHL team. Free NHL tweener for your AHL roster? Someone will jump at that.

Here are the final roster moves. Svech went on IR.

Coghlan to Springfield (Blues AHL Affiliate)
Jones to Colorado (Avalanche AHL Affiliate)
Kochetkov to Syracuse (Lightning AHL Affiliate)
Unger Sorum to Leksands IF (Sweden)
Fensore to the Norfolk Admirals
Ponomarev & Suzuki to Injured Non-Roster

Back