• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

I don’t think so. I had noted the possibility/likelihood a while ago on the NHL thread when it was reported that he was shadowing Wild GM Bill Guerin.
It's on Canes' web site. I think I saw a notification on my phone last night.

For those with subscriptions to The Athletic, you can read how we're their pick for the President's Trophy and given the third highest chance at winning the Cup...

For those with subscriptions to The Athletic, you can read how we're their pick for the President's Trophy and given the third highest chance at winning the Cup...

And none of the writers are local, it was written by Dom Luspellcheck, Shayna Goldman and Sean Gentille.

Last edited:
Roddy was on 850 today, it sounds like Svech will not be ready for the opener next week, you have to wonder if he will be ready for the West Coast swing. Lots of warm bodies like Lemieux or a youngster in his place to start the year if that ends up being the case.

Roddy was on 850 today, it sounds like Svech will not be ready for the opener next week, you have to wonder if he will be ready for the West Coast swing. Lots of warm bodies like Lemieux or a youngster in his place to start the year if that ends up being the case.
And once again ... louder for those in the balcony ... that's fine. When he's actually ready, roll My Svechnikov out to play. Until then, figure it out. Heck, keep Tony Randall up for a few games if ya want.

And once again ... louder for those in the balcony ... that's fine. When he's actually ready, roll My Svechnikov out to play. Until then, figure it out. Heck, keep Tony Randall up for a few games if ya want.
9 games without burning a year of his contract, right?

I'd be happy with a banner we don't have yet, but that sucker can be a millstone in the playoffs.

Canes placed Caleb Jones on waivers.

All of Zach Aston-Reese, Kieffer Bellows, Cory Conacher, Brendan Perlini. Nick Shore and Nathan Beaulieu were released from their PTOs.

We loaned Alexsi Heimosalmi to his Lliga team (Assat)

Jamieson Rees was assigned to AHL Springfield

Ronan Seeley, Griffin Mendel, Anttoni Honka, Justin Robidas, Blake Murray and Noel Gunler were all assigned to ECHL Norfolk.

---As for the rest of the players unlikely to stick around too much longer---

I assume Yanev Perets will be Norfolk bound soon. Fensore also will likely be joining Norfolk shortly.

Suzuki and Ponomarev will eventually end up in the AHL "somewhere"

Unger Sorem will eventually head back to Sweden.

What happens to Coghlan and Kochetkov remains to be seen. We have enough roster space currently to carry both of them on the roster, but that would mean 12 forwards (without Svech) 8 Dmen and 3 goalies on the roster. That also assumes that Caleb Jones is either being claimed off of waivers or is going to clear and be shipped out to some AHL team TBD.

Last edited:
Canes placed Caleb Jones on waivers.

All of Zach Aston-Reese, Kieffer Bellows, Cory Conacher, Brendan Perlini. Nick Shore and Nathan Beaulieu were released from their PTOs.

We loaned Alexsi Heimosalmi to his Lliga team (Assat)

Jamieson Rees was assigned to AHL Springfield

Ronan Seeley, Griffin Mendel, Anttoni Honka, Justin Robidas, Blake Murray and Noel Gunler were all assigned to ECHL Norfolk.

---As for the rest of the players unlikely to stick around too much longer---

I assume Yanev Perets will be Norfolk bound soon. Fensore also will likely be joining Norfolk shortly.

Suzuki and Ponomarev will eventually end up in the AHL "somewhere"

Unger Sorem will eventually head back to Sweden.

What happens to Coghlan and Kochetkov remains to be seen. We have enough roster space currently to carry both of them on the roster, but that would mean 12 forwards (without Svech) 8 Dmen and 3 goalies on the roster. That also assumes that Caleb Jones is either being claimed off of waivers or is going to clear and be shipped out to some AHL team TBD.
Coghlan needs to just go away…but count me in the camp that thinks not having at the very least a shared AHL affiliate is really dumb. For all the things Dundon has done that makes sense that one just makes no sense.

Fine by me - let him wait. Ain't no rush.

Coghlan needs to just go away…but count me in the camp that thinks not having at the very least a shared AHL affiliate is really dumb. For all the things Dundon has done that makes sense that one just makes no sense.
It wasn't his call.

There are 32 AHL teams for 32 NHL teams, but one of them wants to be independent.

It wasn't his call.

There are 32 AHL teams for 32 NHL teams, but one of them wants to be independent.
And the AHL wasn’t interested in expanding to 33 teams.

The Canes will meet with the AHL Board of Governors this month. The BOG isn’t happy with the situation either, but they let the Wolves go independent.

I wish nothing but complete failure for that franchise.
Summarizing the feelings of the fans of virtually every other NHL franchise that has affiliated with the Wolves. Ownership there quite literally doesn't understand the role of a minor league franchise.

Back