• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

For the first time in a while, the Canes will be banking cap space this season. Not that we make a lot of deadline acquisitions, but this will give us some options if we decide to.

For the first time in a while, the Canes will be banking cap space this season. Not that we make a lot of deadline acquisitions, but this will give us some options if we decide to.
I could see a midseason move of some significance for Carolina this season, given the depth on D and the contract uncertainties ... especially if the offense under-performs. Having a bit of cap wiggle room helps in that regard.

I could see a midseason move of some significance for Carolina this season, given the depth on D and the contract uncertainties ... especially if the offense under-performs. Having a bit of cap wiggle room helps in that regard.
They’re just going to have to manage the ins and outs of the inevitable Kochetkov recalls. But it would only be the incremental $1.15 million, he already counts $850k on the cap.

RBA says Svech hasn’t been cleared yet and “probably won’t” travel to the west coast.

The Canes have traded Caleb Jones to the Avs for forward Callahan Burke. Burke will remain with the Colorado Eagles in the AHL. Burke is a 5’10” forward and has never played an NHL game. He was undrafted out of Notre Dame and has spent 3 years with the Eagles, putting up 39 points in 70 games last year.

While there are no cap impacts for the Canes with that trade, Dundon saves $650k in cash by only having to pay Callahan Burke's minor league salary of $125k vs. Caleb Jones' one way NHL minimum $775k salary.

Or if you want to be 'glass half empty', Waddell wasted $125k of Dundon's money to have Caleb Jones at camp.

The only difference for Callahan Burke will be who signs his paychecks. Otherwise absolutely nothing changes for him this season unless the Canes need to reach for #16 or #17 on our forward depth chart.

Last edited:
Moving Jones, who despite not having a place on the Canes IS an actual NHL defenseman, for a 2 way spare part AHL center is ... fine. It's also an indication that whatever motivated them to sign Jones in the first place is no longer a concern.

Coghlan has the #8 spot completely locked down with absolutely no one to challenge him for it. He is the guy.

#9 is.....Griffin Mendel? Anttoni Honka? Dom Fensore? Ronan Seeley? All 4 of those guys are playing ECHL hockey this season.

While there are no cap impacts for the Canes with that trade, Dundon saves $650k in cash by only having to pay Callahan Burke's minor league salary of $125k vs. Caleb Jones' one way NHL minimum $775k salary.

Or if you want to be 'glass half empty', Waddell wasted $125k of Dundon's money to have Caleb Jones at camp.

The only difference for Callahan Burke will be who signs his paychecks. Otherwise absolutely nothing changes for him this season unless the Canes need to reach for #16 or #17 on our forward depth chart.

Dear Don Waddell and Tom Dundon,
Please feel free to waste a $125k on me as well. Hell, I'll even strap on a pair of skates for a few weeks if that's what it takes.

Best,

NoMich

How did the team spend $125k on Jones? Players don’t get paid for training camp, only the regular season.

How did the team spend $125k on Jones? Players don’t get paid for training camp, only the regular season.
We wouldn't have traded for Callahan Burke and his $125k minor league salary at all if we were not looking to dump Caleb Jones contract.

To paraphrase Robin Williams, owning a sports team is God’s way of telling you that you have too much money.

Back