• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

I wore Cooperalls when I played intramural hockey in college in the mid 80s. I so much prefer the traditional hockey pants I’ve been wearing in beer league over the last dozen years.

We wore pretty much sweat pants and sweat shorts for practice and games we wore the hip guard pants and socks plus jerseys with a little extra Cotton sewn into the shoulders.

I wore Cooperalls when I played intramural hockey in college in the mid 80s. I so much prefer the traditional hockey pants I’ve been wearing in beer league over the last dozen years.
I can’t imagine that Cooperalls were comfortable at all.

Cooperalls are basically what you wear in roller hockey ... big, billowy reinforced nylon things. Just awful.

No hockey equipment in the 80s was comfortable, but we didn't know any better. It's amazing how much better the gear is today.
Having never worn any hockey equipment other than a cheap pair of CCM skates, I’ll take your word for it.

I still wear my old gear I got from the Hurricanes back in 2001 when I get the chance to play. Compared to what they wear now, It's garbage, but works for me against the old farts I skate with.

Reminds me…right after I got married we were living in an apartment. I had a sea bag with all my equipment, expect at this time my skates weren’t in it. My wife opened the bag and about gagged. She hauled it to the dumpster and tossed it, never told me so when I went to get it, not there. She said she’d tossed it. Everything except skates gone.

Reminds me…right after I got married we were living in an apartment. I had a sea bag with all my equipment, expect at this time my skates weren’t in it. My wife opened the bag and about gagged. She hauled it to the dumpster and tossed it, never told me so when I went to get it, not there. She said she’d tossed it. Everything except skates gone.
So, how long does an annulment take in Wisconsin?

I wore Jofa pads and CCM breezers & helmet when I played. All I've got left are the skates, 7-8 sticks, and a dozen sweaters. I do have a couple pairs of roller hockey pantaloons (which I feel should be the proper name). Can't play anymore, couldn't take another head injury...might end up having to wear a helmet full time & ride the short school bus.

I did a couple public skates last month and found it almost more hazardous than playing hockey. There's zero qualifications for anyone to skate. So, if their money's green, it's "Have a nice time, try not to get in too many people's way & don't kick holes in the ice with your toe picks." Sheesh.

Jim

My wife to this day still can’t believe how bad some of my hockey equipment would smell after games…she would damn near spray me down with a hose after coming home from games. One bag of really old equipment is still in my crawl space and even I’m afraid to open it…

My wife to this day still can’t believe how bad some of my hockey equipment would smell after games…she would damn near spray me down with a hose after coming home from games. One bag of really old equipment is still in my crawl space and even I’m afraid to open it…
Same. We still have my daughter’s bag in one of our eaves. She stopped playing in 2007. As far as I know, it has everything except her skates, but I’m afraid to go near it. I really need to clean out that eave, maybe it would be better to cut through the roof and eject it into the back yard.

Same. We still have my daughter’s bag in one of our eaves. She stopped playing in 2007. As far as I know, it has everything except her skates, but I’m afraid to go near it. I really need to clean out that eave, maybe it would be better to cut through the roof and eject it into the back yard.

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I used a product to de-funkify my hockey gear called Sink the Stink, which is engineered bacteria made to deodorize wetsuits that works pretty well. It doesn't totally eliminate the stank, but it's much better than nothing. After all, some people pee in their wetsuits during dives and if it can knock that out, it's worth it's weight. There's a saying about peeing during diving "There's two types of people, those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie about it." Well, I was forced to use a rental wetsuit to dive the springs in Florida in the early 90s and that thing pretty much smelled like the men's room at the racetrack, minus the cigarette smell. It was so nasty, it broke me from ever urinating in my own wetsuit...or using a rental. My last suit had ~450 dives in it before I retired it and I never fouled it. I left it with a dive guide in Papua, New Guinea. Anyway, Sink the Stink helps.

Jim

Back