• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

The Sharks beat the Oilers last night, they each have 5 points on the season, but the Oilers have played 1 fewer gsme.

Why do Ken Holland and Jay Woodcroft still have jobs?
I'm actually kind of o.k. with their struggles.

Though I can't fathom how a team with as many quality components as Edmonton can't collectively get their mess together? Top heavy, for sure... But, is the rest of the roster hot garbage? Hmm, sort of reminds me of the Karmanos / JR playoff failure era Hurricanes if I think on it. Never mind.

Jim

It's not just that the rest of the roster in Edmonton is garbage, it's the futile nature of how that garbage was assembled by Ken Holland that rankles. Yeah, Woodcroft should be searching the job listings immediately, but Holland should be right there with him. The list of his sins is just too long to even get into, but the goalies and the D he's assembled should be enough.

It's not just that the rest of the roster in Edmonton is garbage, it's the futile nature of how that garbage was assembled by Ken Holland that rankles. Yeah, Woodcroft should be searching the job listings immediately, but Holland should be right there with him. The list of his sins is just too long to even get into, but the goalies and the D he's assembled should be enough.
Multiple reports today that Woodcroft is out.

Avs backup goalie Pavel Francouz will miss the entire season and will return to Czechia. He had yet to play a game this season and was on LTIR. The Avs have been using Ivan Prosvetov as their backup after claiming him off waivers from the Coyotes before the season started.

The Dallas Stars PP had been bad this season, only 4 goals going into yesterday’s game with the Wild. The Stars hung up 5 PP goals on the Wild, in 8 chances, including 2 during a 5 minute major. The Wild PK is a league worst 63.4%

Avs backup goalie Pavel Francouz will miss the entire season and will return to Czechia. He had yet to play a game this season and was on LTIR. The Avs have been using Ivan Prosvetov as their backup after claiming him off waivers from the Coyotes before the season started.
He had adductor surgery in the off season, which is the bad kind of groin surgery. If he's still struggling to recover then there might have been secondary issues.

Police in England made an arrest in the skate blade to the neck death of Adam Johnson. They did not disclose who they arrested, or why he was arrested. Just that someone was arrested for manslaughter

Police in England made an arrest in the skate blade to the neck death of Adam Johnson. They did not disclose who they arrested, or why he was arrested. Just that someone was arrested for manslaughter
Someone must have ran on the ice with a sharp skate in hand, sliced Johnson’s neck and ran off.

Remember, the English justice system doesn't work like ours. Charges (if any) come after the arrest, and best as I can tell none have been brought yet. Stay tuned for the next step before passing any judgements.

Almost unbelievably after all this time, the investigative report into sexual assault allegations involving Team Canada at the 2018 World Juniors has finally yielded some results, which are being squashed pending an appeal filed by one of the parties. The best Hockey Canada can offer is that the appeal will begin "in the near future" which one can only surmise means it'll happen in the next five freaking years. It took 11 months for the results of the independent investigative report to be completed after all. I'm not a rush to judgement guy, really ... but I'm 100% not a snail race to judgement either. You could make a credible argument that Hockey Canada are hoping that if they're deliberate enough, any players implicated will have retired and moved out of the public eye by the time they get to any punishment.

My daughters school took their annual field trip to watch the Fayetteville Marksmen play today and apparently one of the players got his neck sliced by a skate. She didn’t have a lot of info (she’s 12 and probably wasn’t even paying attention) and I haven’t seen anything on Twitter or the news so maybe it wasn’t serious.

Tage Thompson will miss “significant time” with a wrist injury suffered last night when a shot hit him while killing a penalty.

Doesn’t Sean Hill have a metal plate for a cheekbone because of a similar injury?
Yea. I’ll never forget the one road trip I went on when I worked there it was when Steve Dubinsky checked Glen Wesley face first into the open penalty box door. I almost blew chunks in the locker room.

Back