• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

I totally understand. I'm not saying I'd do it if it were me. But if my pro scouts and intel told me Svech is good to go health-wise, unless either (in my opinion) Catton or Demidov is there at 5, I take Svech and run. No way I do it for Iginla or Lindstrom. Adding a winger like him would probably make us a playoff beast as early as next year. And he fits our team age-wise.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caulfield
Newhook-Dach-Svech

That's a formidable top-6
That whole second line is injury prone

Here's what I'm seeing in all this, if a center like Lindstrom, who has great scoring touch, is at 5? I'm not trading the pick for Svech then wonder why we don't have a big frontline center.

Now if you're talking Draisaitl? They can have all our picks this year.
Lidstrom is going to bust big time me thinks..

Svech isn't proven. He's a good player but he's not a great player and never will be. I'll take the big center and gamble that he'll produce similarly at a valuable position.

It would not make us a playoff beast next year and our pro scouts don’t have his medical info. But I’d rather have Svetch than Catton.
Krustchev and his crystal ball again. Teams have more intel on other teams' injuries than we do. Scouts talk to each other and it's not hard for info to leak. And I don't like absolutes. The Canucks were a bottom-feeder just a year ago, and are now a win away from the conference finals. I look at the fact we (again) had huge injury problems. Almost all of our 2nd and 3rd lines were out for long stretches. And our D will have a year more experience. I don't see why we can't make the playoffs. And if we do make it, we proved last year we can be a lot to handle even for the so-called "elite" teams.

Good deflection.
Deflect what? So, they're not injury prone, but Svetch is? If the argument is we avoid the trade because Svetch is so injury prone to draft a player who is also injury prone...that's not a strawman argument by definition. That's a valid debate, IMO.

I don't see how Svech puts us over the top anyway
60GP+ of Dach + Hutson PP impact + addition to top-6 scoring incorporating a combo of size + skill

Habs PP moving from bottom half of the league to top-10 / dare I say top-5

Add a top end scoring asset w combo of skating + size + finish + grit factor who isn’t scared of playing the game in the middle of the ice & driving to the net

His addition will make teams above us, even those not in the playoffs this year, weaker. He’s that good.
+ This

There simply aren’t enough players w size + pace + finishing ability who play fearless, which is why Canes won’t deal Svechnikov …

Deflect what? So, they're not injury prone, but Svetch is? If the argument is we avoid the trade because Svetch is so injury prone to draft a player who is also injury prone...that's not a strawman argument by definition. That's a valid debate, IMO.
No. Tbe point is that just because Demidov and Lindstrom got injured this year doesn’t mean they’re injury-prone as you declared. Pretty much all high level athletes get injured at some point, doesn’t mean they’re injury-prone. I would not trade the pick for Svetch, you seem to not want to accept that opinion.

I don't see how Svech puts us over the top anyway
I don't think he puts us over the top. But he's a massive upgrade to our right side on the top-6. Step 1 is for our existing core to remain healthy. He would give us a pro 2nd line winger with decent size, allowing Roy to develop on the 3rd line. And having only just turned 24, he's not even entered his prime. So there is some more ceiling possible. Either way, I agree with others that no way Carolina trades him for our 5th.

No. Tbe point is that just because Demidov and Lindstrom got injured this year doesn’t mean they’re injury-prone as you declared. Pretty much all high level athletes get injured at some point, doesn’t mean they’re injury-prone. I would not trade the pick for Svetch, you seem to not want to accept that opinion.
Demidov has injured the same knee twice this year. Lindstrom played less than half the year with 2 different injuries. And with lots of smoke that it's a disc I think it's a fair comparison as that is an emerging pattern of concern. The term "injury prone" is highly subjective anyway.

Back