• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

Yeah, you can tell when someone is trying to prove their point.

Ovechkin wasn't a great offensive player. Only has 697 assists in 1426 games.

Nope. But believe what you want. I've clearly stated my take on his goal-scoring numerous times. If you think 19 assists in 32 games for a top-5 center is fine, great. Your opinion. If I want to draft a pure goal scorer, I'd take Eiserman for one, and not have to worry as much if he's going to be a regular in the IR along with Price and others.

I recognize those 27 goals. My issue is he's a center, and his assists/goal ratio is bottom of the barrel relatively speaking. And the other factor, from games I've watched, is he gets a lot of those goals due to being a monster-sized guy, playing vs many puny 16 year olds. If it's goalscoring we want, may as well take Eiserman. Who doesn't score because he's given time and space due to intimidating teenagers. And has no injury concerns.

PS: Case and point. 2 pts in the playoffs largely because Red Deer put 6'5" 243lb D man Fabrizi on the ice every time he was. He disappeared around him.
That's a bad argument. Do the Leafs care about Matthews ratio? If he had the same number of points but 12 goals you'd be happy?

Just move him to the wing, then you got a big fast scoring winger, better?

That's a bad argument. Do the Leafs care about Matthews ratio? If he had the same number of points but 12 goals you'd be happy?

Seems like an obvious solution. Also, Dach is fine at center . . . except for faceoffs.

Maybe I'm not communicating my point well enough. I would compare Mathews to Eiserman. They both score by having that knack of finding soft spots in between defenders to take a pass. And both have elite shots/releases. That's similar to the Bossy's, Steve Shutts of the world. From what I see in Lindstroms game, is he gets most of his goals with his size and nasty side, getting him room that smaller, meeker players would have to fight or be elusive enough to get. Big difference. I'm not convinced Lindstroms game will translate to the NHL where he'll face players as, or bigger and stronger than him. Therefore, if I was looking for a sniper, not a play driver/play maker, I'd just take Eiserman and call it a day.

Looking at this another way. Lindstrom had 27 goals in 32 games. Catton had 54 goals in 68 games. So they scored at the roughly the same GPG clip. But, Catton not only had to rely on only his skills to get those goals (he had no Basha or Mackenna), he also added 64 assists. And turned a 60pt scrub like Roulette, a 5th year junior player, who's previous PB was 66 points, into a 106 point player. That's a superstar. HE is THE man. The player that makes everyone he plays with better. Much, much higher upside. Lindstrom relies on Basha. Catton relies on no one.

Robertson the 39th pick…

He had good numbers his draft year in Kingston. There must have been some kind of glitch or knock against him?

Edit: skating was the issue, apparently. Acceleration in particular.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not communicating my point well enough. I would compare Mathews to Eiserman. They both score by having that knack of finding soft spots in between defenders to take a pass. And both have elite shots/releases. That's similar to the Bossy's, Steve Shutts of the world. From what I see in Lindstroms game, is he gets most of his goals with his size and nasty side, getting him room that smaller, meeker players would have to fight or be elusive enough to get. Big difference. I'm not convinced Lindstroms game will translate to the NHL where he'll face players as, or bigger and stronger than him. Therefore, if I was looking for a sniper, not a play driver/play maker, I'd just take Eiserman and call it a day.

Looking at this another way. Lindstrom had 27 goals in 32 games. Catton had 54 goals in 68 games. So they scored at the roughly the same GPG clip. But, Catton not only had to rely on only his skills to get those goals (he had no Basha or Mackenna), he also added 64 assists. And turned a 60pt scrub like Roulette, a 5th year junior player, who's previous PB was 66 points, into a 106 point player. That's a superstar. HE is THE man. The player that makes everyone he plays with better. Much, much higher upside. Lindstrom relies on Basha. Catton relies on no one.
Lindstrom has a very good shot, and release, from what I’ve seen from him.

Robertson the 39th pick…

He had good numbers his draft year in Kingston. There must have been some kind of glitch or knock against him?

Edit: skating was the issue, apparently. Acceleration in particular.
Skating was thought to be an issue. And really didn't score enough his D year. But this is how much of a crapshoot it all is. Robertson didn't crack 100 pts in junior, until his D+2 year, and that being a big guy. But he cracks 100 in what was essentially his 3rd year with Dallas in the NHL. Hard to gauge young prospects.

Skating was thought to be an issue. And really didn't score enough his D year. But this is how much of a crapshoot it all is. Robertson didn't crack 100 pts in junior, until his D+2 year, and that being a big guy. But he cracks 100 in what was essentially his 3rd year with Dallas in the NHL. Hard to gauge young prospects.
Incredible how Dallas found him and Johnston.

Lindstrom has a very good shot, and release, from what I’ve seen from him.
He does. I agree. It's how he gets into scoring position that I'm a bit wary of translating. However, I want to add, if you believe Lindstroms game will translate well to the NHL, and that his injury situation is not serious, then I can totally understand loving this guy at #5. I would have him in the mix too if that's what I thought as well. I personally see to many red flags (not playing enough to get a good read, injury prone, and will his PF game translate to the NHL, no real playmaking side to his game, IMO). It's all speculation. I just think this pick is soooooo important. We should avoid any player that has too many negative variables. JMHO.

He does. I agree. It's how he gets into scoring position that I'm a bit wary of translating. However, I want to add, if you believe Lindstroms game will translate well to the NHL, and that his injury situation is not serious, then I can totally understand loving this guy at #5. I would have him in the mix too if that's what I thought as well. I personally see to many red flags (not playing enough to get a good read, injury prone, and will his PF game translate to the NHL, no real playmaking side to his game, IMO). It's all speculation. I just think this pick is soooooo important. We should avoid any player that has too many negative variables. JMHO.
If his back is fine I don’t see any huge injury concern.

How comparable is Sennecke to J. Robertson? Then I’d be interested.
Based on the games and clips I've watched on Sennecke. I don't think they have all that much in common. Sennecke is a dynamic skater/dangler and an excellent passer, although Robertson did up his playmaking game this year. Both have elite releases and very high IQ. Interesting fact. Sennecke started the year at 5'10" and is now 6'3". LOL. I really like him from what I've seen and read. I'd be happy with him at 5. But I do like late bloomers. Slaf was one.

I think Lindstrom game actually translates well for the NHL. He already plays a pro power forward game, cycling the puck, creating room, crashing the net, leveraging his teammates, making himself open as an option. Good shot, good release. And he’s far from a finished product so he has room to develop. I don’t see him as a play driver on any line but a nice complimentary piece that you can put on any line, either wing or center as needed. I maintain my 60 points average prediction but he has room to grow and even in the NHL he’ll be one of the biggest strongest forwards in the league. He’s too good a fit for this team to pass up. He’s just not the most exciting player but I think he can be effective.

Back