• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

Yep, lots of question marks, no a lot of international play either (Hlinka, 2 points in 4 games). Played with McKenna and Basha. He was never the play driver of his line or the PP.

I think that if we draft him, it has to be with the optics that we're ok drafting a 6'4 50-60 points winger. There is definitely value in that type of player, especially for our team, and I wouldn't qualify this as a major failure, but is this really what we want to spend our 5th overall pick on? That being said we need to look at the alternatives. Iginla is probably a 50 points winger, I wouldn't draft him over Lindstrom. Catton is a skilled but frailed center, maybe winger in the pros, remains to see how his play translate to the NHL, if he can't crack the top 6 his value drops significantly. Eiserman, way too many red flags in his play. Then there is Sennecke, who's probably my favorite alternative to Lindstrom, he's a late riser with a huge growth spurts, good size and highly skilled. He'd be my personal pick over Lindstrom personally.

Or we draft a defenseman but I don't see it, unless Levshunov drops to us.
take the D and move on , or move down

Yeah I don't understand why Chicago did this unless there's a mandate to get better quicker.
It's not impossible they have a set top 18 or something or know the team at 19 is going to take their guy?

Or, and this i my best guess, they have had talks about moving up to 12-16 and those teams were not interested in dropping past a certain point? Hawks have more picks than anyone this draft, so sacrificing 61 to move up in round 1 and 2 i get, i just dont get it today.

I mean the simple reason was to add another 2nd round pick this year. Move down 2 spots in first round and 4 in 2nd. Gives them 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

It's not impossible they have a set top 18 or something or know the team at 19 is going to take their guy?

Or, and this i my best guess, they have had talks about moving up to 12-16 and those teams were not interested in dropping past a certain point? Hawks have more picks than anyone this draft, so sacrificing 61 to move up in round 1 and 2 i get, i just dont get it today.
Agreed give up a pick for a player they dont see lasting at 20 , plus they have a ton of draft capital to move up on draft day when more moves are done and you see how the draft is trending

So now the idea making the rounds is that we should somehow package that Winnipeg pick and maybe Harris or Struble and take Laine off of Columbus' hands. The logic behind this being that if Laine rehabilitates his game even a little bit he would be a better player than anyone we could get with the 26th pick.

Thoughts?

So now the idea making the rounds is that we should somehow package that Winnipeg pick and maybe Harris or Struble and take Laine off of Columbus' hands. The logic behind this being that if Laine rehabilitates his game even a little bit he would be a better player than anyone we could get with the 26th pick.

Thoughts?
Laine doesn't interest me given his laziness. He's a rich man's Dubois

Thoughts?
It’s been thrown around for a bit now. Personally I’m all for it. Sure Laine has issues but he’s still a legit top 6 talent for a very low price to pay, and we can absorb his contract no problem.2 years left, it doesn’t work out, move on. He’s still only 25, had injuries issues which is concerning but otherwise has been close to PPG when healthy. For 26th overall and a spare D, I’ll take the low risk gamble.

Or Chi is trying to use 18OA pick to position themselves for a move up to top-12 & draft a D - taking Demigod at 2OA

D prospects are weak in lower half of this draft apparently

Or Chi is trying to use 18OA pick to position themselves for a move up to top-12 & draft a D - taking Demigod at 2OA

D prospects are weak in lower half of this draft apparently
Yeah, i think it's a situation where they feel a guy they like could slip into the 18 range, or more likely, they have had conversations with teams in the 12-16 range who dont want to fall as far as 20 in case a Jiricek,Yakemchuk, or Biuium fall to a certain point, or Sennecke at F

Moore slid to them last year in the 18 range, i think they are happy to surrender 61 in order to move up 2 spots in round 1 and 4 in round 2, and still have more ammunition than basically anyone to move up further.

Maybe I'm not communicating my point well enough. I would compare Mathews to Eiserman. They both score by having that knack of finding soft spots in between defenders to take a pass. And both have elite shots/releases. That's similar to the Bossy's, Steve Shutts of the world. From what I see in Lindstroms game, is he gets most of his goals with his size and nasty side, getting him room that smaller, meeker players would have to fight or be elusive enough to get. Big difference. I'm not convinced Lindstroms game will translate to the NHL where he'll face players as,
This feels like an odd move up a month out of the draft, but i guess Davidson knows something about who will be there at 18 vs 20? or what team 19 wants?

They have so many picks that im fine with this.
Yeah, it seems really odd. It's a move you make when pick 17 has been made on draft day.

Yeah, it seems really odd. It's a move you make when pick 17 has been made on draft day.
One thing i will say, is that it might be easier to move up now, when the 18 pick is a mystery box, and the cost is a late second to move up in two places, than at the draft when Lou knows who is on the board and he either doesn't want to move down, or the price is different.

I find it interesting the team Chicago is leapfrogging is Vegas who seemingly always drafts well and drafts skill.

One thing i will say, is that it might be easier to move up now, when the 18 pick is a mystery box, and the cost is a late second to move up in two places, than at the draft when Lou knows who is on the board and he either doesn't want to move down, or the price is different.

I find it interesting the team Chicago is leapfrogging is Vegas who seemingly always drafts well and drafts skill.
And im only assuming this, cause deals like this are almost never done this far out from the draft.

It’s been thrown around for a bit now. Personally I’m all for it. Sure Laine has issues but he’s still a legit top 6 talent for a very low price to pay, and we can absorb his contract no problem.2 years left, it doesn’t work out, move on. He’s still only 25, had injuries issues which is concerning but otherwise has been close to PPG when healthy. For 26th overall and a spare D, I’ll take the low risk gamble.

This is what makes a deal possible. But Laine has a lot of baggage, to say the least.

Back