• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 NHL Playoffs Thread

Those were Pee-Wee moves the Oilers forwards made on those breakaways in the first. The second guy did exactly what the first guy did, a weak backhanded move. Even though I have not had a breakaway in 30 odd years, I think I could have made a better attempt had I been able to get down the ice.

The whole "they have an advantage because they're in a no tax state" is tiresome and honestly, disingenuous.

Was the no tax state the reason they picked up Gustav Forsling on waivers?

Was the no tax state the reason they traded Devon Levi + a late 1st for Reinhart?

Was the no tax state the reason they traded Heineman + a 2nd for Bennett?

Was the no tax state the reason they made the Huberdeau + Weager for Tkachuk trade?

Was the no tax state the reason they drafted Ekblad & Barkov? Then gave them contracts that were in-line with virtually all of their NHL comparables?

You know what their no tax state helped them with? Getting Bobrovsky. But besides that, honestly? You could have taken their moves since they drafted Barkov and named them the "Kansas City Liberals", and the result would be been nearly identical.

The whole "they have an advantage because they're in a no tax state" is tiresome and honestly, disingenuous.

Was the no tax state the reason they traded Devon Levi + a late 1st for Reinhart?

Was the no tax state the reason they made the Huberdeau + Weager for Tkachuk trade?

Was the no tax state the reason they drafted Ekblad & Barkov? Then gave them contracts that were in-line with virtually all of their NHL comparables?

You know what their no tax state helped them with? Getting Bobrovsky. But besides that, honestly? You could have taken their moves since they drafted Barkov and named them the "Kansas City Liberals", and the result would be been nearly identical.
Bingo great post

And even Bobo is not totally tax driven IMO , massive contract and gamble paying a goalie in his later 20`s

The advantage is about 5-7% of cap depending on team and stars on your roster

Other teams have a smaller margin of error and need to draft/develop/asset manage better

I'd love a salary cap system that levels the playing field for teams based on taxation so that a dollar in Montreal is worth the same as a dollar in Miami.
If you think that's the deciding factor between Montreal and South Florida you're out to lunch and are clueless as to what Florida has to offer young wealthy players.

They do have a slight advantage in that they can pitch more take home pay but that means nothing if they didn't tank for barkov and ekblad in addition to all the good moves they have made as you mentioned.

If you think that's the deciding factor between Montreal and South Florida you're out to lunch and are clueless as to what Florida has to offer young wealthy players.
Money uber alles. Not every player wants to live in Florida and not every player can play for the same couple of teams. Some want to play in a market where hockey is #1. But no player wants to take less money no matter which option they choose. Eliminate the tax advantage so that teams like the Habs don't forever have to overpay. Give higher taxed markets more cap money to spend. You can't eliminate the advantage of year round golf in Florida vs cold, snowy winters in Montreal, but you can fix it so that a dollar is a dollar is a dollar no matter what city you're playing in.

Back