• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

I want to see St. Louis - Chicago because I could make a legitimate argument that both teams could represent the West in the Cup finals.

And being able to watch that series when both teams are still fresh and relatively injury-free? Shiiieeeeeeeet...

Makes us wonder how things would look under the old playoff format.

We'd likely be facing Rangers in round one.

Being #4 and #5

Chicago would be facing SJ

Bottom line those quality matchups would happen when they should happen...in the later rounds

In the old format, we'd currently be looking at Philadelphia. 3 vs 6.

In the old format, we'd currently be looking at Philadelphia. 3 vs 6.

No, cause TB would be 3rd because they'd win their division.

Division winners

Boston
Pitt
TB

Montreal
Rangers
Philly
Detroit
CBJ

President is a meaningless position for the most part but they go from a GM with no experience to a President with no experience.

This is all just a PR move by the team as the fans are restless and now hate the organization.

It is funny, just a year ago, in my building, whenever there was a game, many of the civil servants that work in my building were wearing jerseys to work. I haven't seen a jersey in my building in 3 months. It is quite pitiful how bandwagonish the fans in this city are. Aquilini knows if he doesn't turn the team around quickly, they will be back to the days of 10000 fans at Rogers Arena.

Who will be next GM in Vancouver ? French media speculate the name of Julien Brisbois .they are so desperate to find him GM job .LOLLL!!

Last edited:

Bishop's MRI didn't show any structural damage.

He's out for the remainder of the regular season but hasn't been ruled out for the start of the playoffs.

Bishop's MRI didn't show any structural damage.

He's out for the remainder of the regular season but hasn't been ruled out for the start of the playoffs.

Well if he's out for the regular season that doesn't bode well for the start of the playoffs as it's only like three days after.
I think he'll miss the first set of games

Well if he's out for the regular season that doesn't bode well for the start of the playoffs as it's only like three days after.
I think he'll miss the first set of games

maybe he plays hurt...that might help us as well

Who will be next GM in Vancouver ? French media speculate the name of Julien Brisbois .they are so desperate to find him GM job .LOLLL!!

There's speculation Markus Naslund will be named GM of 'Nucks - he's presently GM of Modo in the SEL

Roy is looking good, but so did Paul MacClean last year. It definitely helps when you have elite goaltending.

I want to see how good his teams will look like in year 3.

There are so many coaches who have a great first year and then fade.

Yeah, Jean Perron looked pretty good in his rookie year too. Well actually he didn't look all that good until he gave the net to Roy to begin the playoffs. But after that rookie season Perron stopped looking like a phenom and was out of the league within 3 or 4 years.

And I really think that saying Roy would have worked out in Montreal because he's enjoying some success in Colorado is beyond disingenuous. The two markets are completely and utterly different and what you can get away with in Denver (because 95% of the local fanbase and media are pre-occupied with Peyton and the Broncos) you can never get away with in Montreal where the media horde covering the Habs is three times as large and has certain members who like to foment unrest every chance they get. Roy would have crashed and burned and probably taken the franchise down with him had he come to Montreal. Not because he isn't a good coach, but because the fans and media in Montreal would never let him forget every little thing that ever happened back in the day. Everything he did as a coach would be evaluated through the prism of what he did as a player. Roy says that he's put Dec. 9, 1995 behind him and that's fine. But the fans and media will never be done with it. It taints everything.

Roy may win the Adams Trophy for coach of the year but he could never coach successfully in Montreal. All he'd ever be there is a distraction. He's better off where he is and so are the Habs.

Yeah, Jean Perron looked pretty good in his rookie year too. Well actually he didn't look all that good until he gave the net to Roy to begin the playoffs. But after that rookie season Perron stopped looking like a phenom and was out of the league within 3 or 4 years.

And I really think that saying Roy would have worked out in Montreal because he's enjoying some success in Colorado is beyond disingenuous. The two markets are completely and utterly different and what you can get away with in Denver (because 95% of the local fanbase and media are pre-occupied with Peyton and the Broncos) you can never get away with in Montreal where the media horde covering the Habs is three times as large and has certain members who like to foment unrest every chance they get. Roy would have crashed and burned and probably taken the franchise down with him had he come to Montreal. Not because he isn't a good coach, but because the fans and media in Montreal would never let him forget every little thing that ever happened back in the day. Everything he did as a coach would be evaluated through the prism of what he did as a player. Roy says that he's put Dec. 9, 1995 behind him and that's fine. But the fans and media will never be done with it. It taints everything.

Roy may win the Adams Trophy for coach of the year but he could never coach successfully in Montreal. All he'd ever be there is a distraction. He's better off where he is and so are the Habs.

Amen.

President is a meaningless position for the most part but they go from a GM with no experience to a President with no experience.

This is all just a PR move by the team as the fans are restless and now hate the organization.

It is funny, just a year ago, in my building, whenever there was a game, many of the civil servants that work in my building were wearing jerseys to work. I haven't seen a jersey in my building in 3 months. It is quite pitiful how bandwagonish the fans in this city are. Aquilini knows if he doesn't turn the team around quickly, they will be back to the days of 10000 fans at Rogers Arena.

It's no coincidence that Gillis was fired the day before the deadline for season ticket renewals. They've been bleeding season ticket subscribers for a couple of seasons now. All season long they ran radio ads for single game tickets. But I doubt that the hiring of Linden is going to make a lot of people reconsider. They may like Linden but they know that the team is likely going to get worse before it gets better so they'll wait a year or two to see how it's trending before committing.

Even early this season when the Habs came to town I bought tickets off a guy for LESS than the printed price on the ticket. That has never happened for as long as I've been going to Habs games in Vancouver, and that goes all the way back to the 92-93 season.

maybe he plays hurt...that might help us as well

Yeah I was thinking that, there's no way he'll be 100% if he comes back...not the way he was laboring off the ice yesterday.

we would destroy the Rangers

No, what you meant to say is that we SHOULD destroy the Rangers. I agree that we should but we both know that they wouldn't. The Habs don't destroy anybody. As my tag line states, they like doing everything the hard way and the thing they do best is play down to the level of inferior competition.

Even early this season when the Habs came to town I bought tickets off a guy for LESS than the printed price on the ticket. That has never happened for as long as I've been going to Habs games in Vancouver, and that goes all the way back to the 92-93 season.

maybe you became a better negotiator ...

maybe you became a better negotiator ...

Didn't have to. He put an ad on craigslist asking $100 for each ticket. When I got the tickets from him the price printed on them was $106 each. Not a huge discount but it's the first time I ever bought Habs tickets off of craigslist where I didn't have to pay more (sometimes way more) than face value.

Back