• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Really ?

The underdog team have much less pressure as everyone expect them to lose....we hear the remark all the time in interviews

sure.....in 1 vs 8 ... maybe

but teams that are 1 point apart... no...it is just for fans to not feel bad when the "underdog" loses

Mike Johnson says we are going to win the cup. FFs... stop worrying people

NHL Network's been doing a series for ALL 16-playoff teams: "(Insert playoff team name) will win the Cup because....."

When Johnson did the Habs wrap-up, he said for the Habs to win the Cup it will be "because Price will carry the team & MaxPac-DD-Vanek will be dominant and provide 5-on-5 scoring".

He's right, for the Habs to have any hope of winning both those predictions need to manifest, amongst many others, the Habs biggest question mark IMO is the lack of speed on D.

Gonna be a bidding war between Vancouver and Toronto for his services.

What exactly has Trotz done to merit such high praise...other than being a Nashville coach for a very long time.

He got them to the 2nd round twice and nothing more.

What exactly has Trotz done to merit such high praise...other than being a Nashville coach for a very long time.

take a team low on talent and make them a playoff team year after year

Yeah, he hasn't generally had much to work with. The last couple of years its caught up to them. A couple of times they loaded up somewhat, but that didn't work either. The perception might be that he got his teams to generally overachieve, and while that may be true, doesn't necessarily mean he'll succeed with more.

Ruff did well in Dallas-that might favour Trotz getting a gig.

take a team low on talent and make them a playoff team year after year

I wouldn't say it was that bad.

For starters they always had above average goaltending in Vokoun and Rinne through out his tenure...I would even say all star goaltending.

After that, two of the best all around dmen in your lineup in Weber and Sutter for practically his whole tenure...and their supporting cast on d has always been good.

Offensively they didn't always have elite scorers but it was never that bad to the point that they shouldn't win a round more than twice.

simple, he coaches a team not named the Montreal Canadiens so by definition, he must be a great coach

I wouldn't say it was that bad.

For starters they always had above average goaltending in Vokoun and Rinne through out his tenure...I would even say all star goaltending.

After that, two of the best all around dmen in your lineup in Weber and Sutter for practically his whole tenure...and their supporting cast on d has always been good.

Offensively they didn't always have elite scorers but it was never that bad to the point that they shouldn't win a round more than twice.

I think the difference in coaches is minimal....so I will agree with you.

also, if you don't get fired for 15 years you're doing something right. Plus he looks like a crime boss.

5835164.jpg

I think the difference in coaches is minimal....so I will agree with you.

If we go by the thing all coaches say is key to playoff success being goaltending and defense it surprises me that Nashville never got by the 2nd round...not even once.

also, if you don't get fired for 15 years you're doing something right. Plus he looks like a crime boss.

5835164.jpg

It's all about expectations...people here are saying MT should get fired if he doesn't get past the first round.

It's Nashville...the media and fans aren't gonna go on a rampage to fire a coach if he misses the playoffs or always loses in round one.

true about losing media support, but it's easy to lose the room (and or the respect of your GM) anywhere.

I'm still not convinced Tortorella will be fired only because the owners are already biting the bullet on Gillis' remaining four years. Paying Fonzie for four years will be a hard pill to swallow.

Does Barry Trotz last 15 years in Montreal or Toronto with the exact same regular season and playoff results he's had in Nashville?

Back