• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Snow will get fired and the islanders will get better unfortunately.

Please. Burke, while with some faults, is a ton better than Jim Rutherford. Like all GMs, he's made his share of mistakes, but he's hit a lot more homeruns than our GMs have in the last decade.

You mean trading for Pronger is nothing? Signing Niedermayer & Selanne is nothing? Trading Mayers, White, Stajan & Hagelin for Phaneuf is nothing? Trading Beauchemin for Lupul & Gardiner is nothing?

Does Rutherford have even one trade remotely close to that in his whole career?

I think it's the perception of how "good" he is but in my books he hasn't done anything to warrant the kind of notoriety he gets in the hockey world.

He was a total flop in Toronto if you ask me, he had more than enough time to turn that team around and really never did

Please. Burke, while with some faults, is a ton better than Jim Rutherford. Like all GMs, he's made his share of mistakes, but he's hit a lot more homeruns than our GMs have in the last decade.

You mean trading for Pronger is nothing? Signing Niedermayer & Selanne is nothing? Trading Mayers, White, Stajan & Hagelin for Phaneuf is nothing? Trading Beauchemin for Lupul & Gardiner is nothing?

Does Rutherford have even one trade remotely close to that in his whole career?

Pronger and Niedermayer fell into his lap, as did Selanne. Anyone who happened to be occupying the GM's office in Anaheim at the time would have landed those guys. How hard is it to get a guy marooned in Edmonton, New Jersey or Winnipeg to want to come to Southern California? Burke inherited that Cup of his more than he earned it.

The entire blueline was his, IIRC. Don't know how you can build a whole blueline of a cup winner and not get credit.

Scott Niedermayer promised his mom after the 2003 Cup that he would sign to play with his brother as soon as he became a UFA. Burke didn't even have to do anything there, just give him a fair offer.

Pronger's wife wanted out of edmonton.

Burke got Beauchemin based on a scout telling him to take Beauchemin off a list that the Blue Jackets gave him when he was dumping Fedorov's contract. Burke hadn't even seen him play. It was a throw in on a money dumping deal.

Those 3 guys played 25+ minutes each in the playoffs.... the rest of his defence was playing very limited minutes (and quite frankly were never very good in other stops in the NHL). Kinda helps when you have two hall of famers and a guy who is a legit top 2 defenceman all fall into your lap.

Then you get all Brian Murray's draft picks at forward.... and an all world goalie Pierre Gauthier acquired. Burke's achilles heel has always been getting goalies.

As for Rutherford... he built the luckiest cup winner in history. 1st round, would have been eliminated if not for the koivu injury. 3rd round Buffalo loses 5 of their top 7 defencemen, 4th round the Oilers get to the final on the back of goaltending and Roloson gets hurt in game 1.

Last edited:

Giving Burke no credit would be just as foolish as giving him all of it, IMO.

Definitely not perfect but he's made some great trades over the years. I'd prefer him back than Nonis. And maybe Shanahan but I guess I'll wait and see on that.

When you fire Nonis, guaranteed he ends up in Calgary. He follows Burke around, waits for him to be fired and inherits the job.

Scott Niedermayer promised his mom after the 2003 Cup that he would sign to play with his brother as soon as he became a UFA. Burke didn't even have to do anything there, just give him a fair offer.

Burke got Beauchemin based on a scout telling him to take Beauchemin off a list that the Blue Jackets gave him when he was dumping Fedorov's contract. Burke hadn't even seen him play. It was a throw in on a money dumping deal.

Those 3 guys played 25+ minutes each in the playoffs.... the rest of his defence was playing very limited minutes (and quite frankly were never very good in other stops in the NHL). Kinda helps when you have two hall of famers and a guy who is a legit top 2 defenceman all fall into your lap.

Then you get all Brian Murray's draft picks at forward.... and an all world goalie Pierre Gauthier acquired. Burke's achilles heel has always been getting goalies.

As for Rutherford... he built the luckiest cup winner in history. 1st round, would have been eliminated if not for the koivu injury. 3rd round Buffalo loses 5 of their top 7 defencemen, 4th round the Oilers get to the final on the back of goaltending and Roloson gets hurt in game 1.

Buffalo wins the Cup that season but for those injuries. 100%.

Don't forget Selanne's love of surfing the Orange County shore - he didn't want to play in all but one team....Anaheim.

Ill give burke credit in that he took a chance on selanne when other teams thought he was washed up. Look at selanne pre 2004 lockout... four years of decline and a really bad chronic foot injury. Most thought he was a goner

Any takers on how long it'll take Rutherford to buyout Fleury & trade for Cam Ward?

He's also made the playoffs only once since winning that Cup. Basically, he's made the playoffs twice in a decade.

He even said in his press conference introduction that he'd be there for 2-3 years as a mentor. Quite the mentor...

Eye on Hockey‏ Martin Brodeur will test free agency after 21 years with the New Jersey Devils http://cbsprt.co/UimUo8

I wonder how fatso will feel like when nobody lines up to sign him and he only gets offered backup money & playing time by some bottom-feeding team.

He's also made the playoffs only once since winning that Cup. Basically, he's made the playoffs twice in a decade.

He even said in his press conference introduction that he'd be there for 2-3 years as a mentor. Quite the mentor...

I've never heard of a team hiring a GM to be a mentor. Weird.

#peanutfail

Mr_Peanut_hits_the_Dirt.jpg

The one big issue I'd have with Rutherford hire if I was a Pens fan, he sure sucked at building a defensive core in sweet Carolina, and the Pens D sucks donkey dong to begin with - not to mention some of their promising D are starting to experience chronic injury issues.

Maybe Bergevin can help take a chronic injury prone young Dman off Rutherford's hands - Maatta.

Back