• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

gotta ask GP, what is it about Brodeur you hate?

Part of it is the team he plays/played for, the Devils. I hate that team with a passion and he was a big part of it, so **** him.

Second part of it was the media and stupid fans that claimed him as the "greatest goalie ever" ten years ago when he played on ultra defensive teams. Nobody with half a brain would take Brodeur over Roy or Hasek. Nobody, none. And if somebody would, please remind me again what Brodeur won without Niedermayer playing in front of him? Take your time, look it up, I'll be sitting right here waiting.

Third part of it, he cheated on his wife for her sister. That's a scumbag move. (But really, it's 99% of part 1 & 2)

Last edited:

He hates his reputation as one of the best goaltender in history and thinks he's a fraud, mostly because a website is saying the same : http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/

No, that's actually incorrect.

He is one of the best of all time, just not the best like many claimed a decade ago. He isn't even the second best goalie of his own era, for crying out loud. That's my issue.

He is one of the best of all time, just not the best like many claimed a decade ago. He isn't even the second best goalie of his own era, for crying out loud. That's my issue.

I agree with that but I've always been curious as why you seem to be directing your hatred toward him since it really has nothing to do with him.

I agree with that but I've always been curious as why you seem to be directing your hatred toward him since it really has nothing to do with him.

Same reason Count hates McDonagh because we praise him, although not to the point of his Orr+Lidstrom+Robinson+Shore+Harvey (Am I getting the combination right, Count? ;) )

Then there's him not shaking Avery's hand and him clamoring a month before the end of the year about next season because he's not getting playing time with New Joizy that real nice on him.

I've never heard of a team hiring a GM to be a mentor. Weird.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

LOS ANGELES – What you expect to hear in introductory press conferences for NHL general managers: Talk of long-term success, five-year plans and other schemes intended to make that general manager indispensible until the job is done.
Related Stories

Penguins gamble on Jim Rutherford as GM, fumble on firing Dan Bylsma as coach Yahoo Sports
Report: Jim Rutherford will be Penguins’ new GM NBC Sports
Penguins fire Bylsma, name Rutherford as GM The SportsXchange
Penguins fire coach Bylsma, hire Rutherford as GM Reuters
New Penguins GM fires coach Dan Bylsma Comcast SportsNet New England

What you don’t expect to hear: An expiration date.

“I would suspect my term here is two or three years,” said Jim Rutherford, the former Carolina Hurricanes president and general manager that was hired by the Pittsburgh Penguins to replace Ray Shero on Friday.

[...]

What you expect to hear in introductory press conferences for NHL general managers: That he’s going to build a strong front office that advises him on key moves.

What you don’t expect to hear: That he’s essentially training his replacements. “What I will do is give them big roles and a lot to say and a lot of input in our final decisions,” said Rutherford.

Were the alternative not hiring a television star, this move by the Penguins might have come off as the most crazy-pants managerial decision we’ve seen in recent memory, in the sense that it bucks several conventions of how teams appoint general managers.

Jim Rutherford is somehow both a caretaker and a fixer. He was hired to figure out what ails the current incarnation of the Penguins, from the coach to the personnel. He was hired so that Jason Botterill (most likely), Bill Guerin or Tom Fitzgerald will eventually replace him, potentially in two years.

Please. Burke, while with some faults, is a ton better than Jim Rutherford. Like all GMs, he's made his share of mistakes, but he's hit a lot more homeruns than our GMs have in the last decade.

You mean trading for Pronger is nothing? Signing Niedermayer & Selanne is nothing? Trading Mayers, White, Stajan & Hagelin for Phaneuf is nothing? Trading Beauchemin for Lupul & Gardiner is nothing?

Does Rutherford have even one trade remotely close to that in his whole career?
Kaberle for Spacek?:shrug

McGuire hinted as to why he didn't get the job (during his daily segment on TSN 690).

He said that Pens management wanted a transition period where Rutherford would stay there 2-3 years grooming a successor. And McGuire was kinda hinting that he didn't agree with that.

So basically they asked him to be an assistant-GM for a few years, and then ''possibly'' get the GM job......and I guess McGuire didn't see the point in dropping a nice gig with NBC to become an assistant-GM, with no guarantees that he'll get the job eventually

McGuire also said he's done interviewing for GM jobs....he doesn't want to go through the flirt/tease anymore....he's gonna sit down with NBC and they'll ink an extension soon....

Part of it is the team he plays/played for, the Devils. I hate that team with a passion and he was a big part of it, so **** him.

Second part of it was the media and stupid fans that claimed him as the "greatest goalie ever" ten years ago when he played on ultra defensive teams. Nobody with half a brain would take Brodeur over Roy or Hasek. Nobody, none. And if somebody would, please remind me again what Brodeur won without Niedermayer playing in front of him? Take your time, look it up, I'll be sitting right here waiting.

Third part of it, he cheated on his wife for her sister. That's a scumbag move. (But really, it's 99% of part 1 & 2)

He did not cheat on his wife for her sister.

He cheated on his wife... with her brother's wife.

Still a scumbag... but lets not give him the sister credit

Eye on Hockey‏ Martin Brodeur will test free agency after 21 years with the New Jersey Devils http://cbsprt.co/UimUo8

I wonder how fatso will feel like when nobody lines up to sign him and he only gets offered backup money & playing time by some bottom-feeding team.

I'd have loved to have him as Carey's backup a couple of weeks ago...

McGuire also said he's done interviewing for GM jobs....he doesn't want to go through the flirt/tease anymore....he's gonna sit down with NBC and they'll ink an extension soon....

Yeah, right.

I'd have loved to have him as Carey's backup a couple of weeks ago...

I wouldn't have. We would have been swept and lost every game by blowout.

He's arguably the worst starting goalie in the league this year.

If he plays 20 games instead of 39, there's a good chance the Devils are in second place in their division. He literally sank that team with his shitty play.

Giving Burke no credit would be just as foolish as giving him all of it, IMO.

Definitely not perfect but he's made some great trades over the years. I'd prefer him back than Nonis. And maybe Shanahan but I guess I'll wait and see on that.

Burke`s one fault is he should of did a total rebuild when he took over the Leafs. In the end he patched as most GM`s do , it was a 5 year redo before they got any taste of success regardless of what direction he took . The Leafs could of had 3-5 of among the best young studs in hockey right now if they played thier cards right . And these could of been your foundation .

But his trades were A+ , getting Lupul, Dion, Gardiner, JVR and Bernier for next to zilch is the only reason why the Leafs are any good right now .

At least he had the nuts to take a chance without giving up the moon with the exception of Kessel .

Roy is the best of all time , period . Dude played for a media retard city for years , and carried some average teams on his back and to the cup. There were years were we couldnt score for shit and he if had an off night we were done. Then went to Denver and did it again .

Brodeur had years of playing in a structured tight knit D where he never has to play out his mind or carry his teams . The media etc...couldnt give him a shit if the team won or lost , fans were not as passionate lunatics like Montreal .

Roy was always under scrutiny ....Hail to the Saint Patrick :worshippy:

Back